P0016 - cam / crank Misalignment

Discussion in 'Chrysler 300 Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by guynextdoor, Feb 24, 2011.

1. guynextdoor

guynextdoor New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    Limited
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    i found alot of good info about my 300 on this forum...and I joined just to be able to share this with everyone

300 limited edition 3.5L engine:
    I got a solid engine and traction control light on at the same time
    did the key dance (thanks forum) and found it to be error code P0016 - cam / crank misalignment
    126,000km - no warranty left

No cruise control, no downshifting on highway (limp mode ???)
    longer than usual to start in the morning (winter -15C outside)

dealer replaced cam and crank sensor - lights came on again 2 minutes after leaving dealership ... $ 150.00

Got the 'well we have to start searching around to see what the problem could be' comment

Shortly after, they hooked it up again and drove it around - determined the misalignment was 16 degrees - suspect that belt skipped a tooth on a gear somewhere (normal alignment is +/- 3 degrees max)

NOTE: to anyone with this problem - get them to check the amount of misalignment before getting good parts replaced

dealership tells me its 5 hours to remove the everything to access the front of the engine

Fault: Leaking water pump - leaked engine coolant all inside the pulleys and belt
    Inside looked like pink bubble gum everywhere; especially around crank pulley
    they showed me the timing marks and it looked like 16 degrees out
    All this gummed up coolant caused belt to skip tooth on a gear (probably crank pulley)

replaced water pump, belt, tensioner pulley and crank pulley
    Cost $ 1,400.00

hope this helps anyone with the same problem
    (great forum all !!)

2. check6x

check6x Active Member Site Supporter Level 4 Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Charger SRT8
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    Charger SRT8
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    Thanks for the info. This is a V6 correct?

3. guynextdoor

guynextdoor New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    Limited
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    yes V6....

check6x likes this.
  4. NubNub

NubNub Active Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    300 or so I was told
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Dark Lava Red
    Wow crappy to hear it was a real issue and not a faulty sensor. How much coolant had you lost to cause all these issues?

5. guynextdoor

guynextdoor New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    Limited
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    That's actually a really good point - I didn't notice loosing any coolant
    Also, engine temperature was always OK
    Also didn't see any coolant on my driveway (but not that I was specifically looking either)

The lights came on shortly after re-fueling one morning

If I was to speculate, maybe the heat of the engine gummed up the leak point eventually ? (again the crank pulley was covered in chunks of this pink looking gum)

The slow start in the morning may have been a clue - but i am a novice and just figured it was a result of the cold

the interesting thing is that out of 1000's of error codes - there isn't one for the water pump ??

Before knowing the 'key dance' - i took it to Canadian Tire - they told me the code but that their $10k computer wasn't sophisticated enough to give any specific details isolating the fault better (compared to Chrysler's $ 20k computer that gives more info ???)
    So they started rhyming off all the possible causes including the ABS module and PCM, etc....
    They actually said it would be best to take it to Chrysler as they would know better where to start diagnosing the problem - so that was $ 78 for getting the code from Canadian Tire...

that was before I knew about the key dance and that's when I started reading this forum...