Performance chip for 5.7L?

Discussion in 'Chrysler 300 Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7L' started by Jeffnwm, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Jeffnwm

Jeffnwm New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Magnesium
    Hi guys, I just purchased a 2006 300c and saw an add for GF Performance Chip Kit for the CHRYSLER 300C.

I liked the advertised mpg increase and the potential HP also...has anyone used chips like these and are they pretty safe?

I don't race the vehicle or anything but would like to increase the mileage and performance when it is needed.

2. ToDieFor

ToDieFor a.k.a. EvilSRT Site Supporter Level 1 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    300C SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    If it's one of those ebay miracle chips then that's a BIG NO! Diablo predator, inTune or Trinity only! Trust me!

3. BigDs 300C

BigDs 300C Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Magnesium
    Predator all the way.

4. 08 300c

08 300c Member

Vehicle:
    300C Heritage
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Cool Vanilla
    :iagree:

Predator for sure

5. Mulehouse

Mulehouse Active Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Fast Cadillac CTS-V
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen2 - 2012
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Custom
    Same reply you will get from anyone here that has any connection to reality....Diablosport Predator http://diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=118 . Tons of parameters to change and immediate gain of hp/mileage/performance, etc. 20 rwhp and 20-25ft/lb of torque with a quick flash tune...and trust me...you will notice the difference the first time you drive out of the driveway after the install.

Also...dont buy it from them....there are lots of good deals on them either new or used...DS wants $309 for one....you check out some of the Z vendors and you will find a much better deal.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. Pooske

Pooske Member Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    300C
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2009
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Inferno Red
    Waste of funds!!!

7. zakk13

zakk13 Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    300C SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Those chips are a scam!

8. dannyyaya

dannyyaya Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    300C
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    ya the chips are tempting cuz theoretically you'd be making your money back after a couple fill-ups with the better mpg. everyone here will definitely recommend a predator, but from what i've read on here the mpg gain is minimal...

9. Mulehouse

Mulehouse Active Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Fast Cadillac CTS-V
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen2 - 2012
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Custom
    Your not addressing the biggest problem with lack of mpg gains with the predator....once the tune is flashed, you suddenly find yourself hammering the gas alot more which of course drives your mpg into the ground. Flash tune some older couple with a C...that drives normally and not WOT half the time, you will see the mpg gain. I drove a 50 mile trip the other day and I got 16.9 mpg on the interstate....but I was never below 80 and many times way above that, so 16.9 I consider quite damn good considering the circumstances....I have the 91 CAI Predator tune btw.

10. dannyyaya

dannyyaya Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    300C
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    lol very good point! i definitely plan on getting a predator eventually, just not making any illusions for myself that i'll be seeing any drastic mpg gains. i have a pretty short commute to and from work with no highway time, so if lose some mpg cuz i'm enjoying the drive more i've got no problem lol

11. ToDieFor

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    300C SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you can keep your 20 lbs foot off the skinny pedal you will see some gains but you won't be having any fun. :p

I don't know about you guys but I bought my car to drive and I bought an SRT8 for a reason. :D

12. 08 300c

08 300c Member

Vehicle:
    300C Heritage
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Cool Vanilla
    I'm like you Danny short 15 min to work all street level, no highways, like Mulehouse says its HARD to keep your foot out of it, I get about 12 city with the 93 octane canned tune and MDS off. I have gotten 27 highway on a long trip and behaving, i.e. no more than 10 over the speed limit. Wih the stock tune I get 14.8 or so but NOT near as much fun, and hey whats a HEMI for??? Not Mileage, right?

13. tim from illinois

tim from illinois Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Its been gone over many times but the best bang for your buck with a 300 c is cold air intake, exhaust and the Preditor. That thin is nothing short of amazing. Hardest part is to drive it easy. With these three mods it will sounf so sweet its going to knock you socks off. :smiley_thumbs_up:

14. rrosu

rrosu New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    Color?:
    Linen Gold
    Does anyone know if they make performance chips/modules/tuners for the 2012 300C? I'd like to get the Predator but their website doesn't offer a product for the 2012.

15. 300C2005

300C2005 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Chrysler
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    nothing as of yet

16. inferno300C

inferno300C New Member

Vehicle:
    300C
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Inferno Red
    The "chips" are only resistors to trick your MAF in to a false readings of colder air.

17. Jeffnwm

Jeffnwm New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Magnesium
    Ok, I don't have the srt8, but it is a C.

which intake and exhaust mods is/are best?..for performance gain with the skinny pedal and when I want to play?

I want the car to drive quiet and be a sweet luxury drive ...the wifey does not care about the man power thingie and I would never hear the end of it (or the exhaust!) if she had to ride in a throaty sounding car...
    I do love to hear the ponies when this stock thing is humping, but I also love the quiet and classy feel of a luxury car.

I want to tune the car for the performance end but also want the benefit of additional mpg.
    Is there any real $ benefit of a Predator/tune with the requirement of paying the extra for 91 octane fuel with what ever small increase to mpg?

and also I've read about spark plug difference benefits...my 06 has just 25k miles on it and not sure if anything was done tune up wise...the carfax didn't show anything when I bought it 2 months ago.
    Which plugs are recomended?
    Finally..the car has Cooper "Touring" tires on it...I was told these would NOT be oem...why would someone put these on a car with low mileage? and are there better riding tires? Michelin? et...

18. ToDieFor

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    300C SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black

Let me see....

Best intake for the 5.7 HEMI? Any of them... Realistically none of them do shit other than make the car sound great at WOT. I take that back... Besides the sound a WOT you do get better flow of air into the manifold but at what cost? Higher iat temps? Possibly.

If you're looking for an intake, grab whatever you can. People say that the K&N intakes actually make you lose HP on the dyno but it doesn't sound like you're much of a racer and there are plenty of people running the K&N with no problems.

Intake = Mopar, K&N, AFE, LMI, etc. Just don't buy one of the cheap ebay intakes.

If you want it to be quiet but have some growl when you want then skip the exhaust. There really isn't any exhaust that I have heard on these cars (besides stock) that is quiet. Maybe try to get your hands on an SRT exhaust from someone who is upgrading their stock SRT stuff...

Spark plugs? Just go to your local auto parts tore and tell them year, make, model and motor and get the oem plugs. You don't need fancy plugs unless you're running a supercharger, turbo or NO2.

As far as a tune goes... You really can't go wrong with the Diablo canned tunes. Those guys have been tuning mopars forever and they have it nailed down. Is 91 really that much more expensive than 89? Here in MN there is roughly an .08 difference between 89 and 93. So let's just say that it costs me an extra $1.60 to fill my tank with 93 rather than 89. Really that's not much.

Will your MPG's go up from intake, tune exhaust?! Yes, if you can keep your foot off the skinny pedal. Let's say maybe an increase of 3 mpg's if you're really lucky. Realistically, probably somewhere in the 1 - 2 mpg range.

And last but not least... tires. Why were they put on? Who knows. If they have tread left, leave them on till they are gone then upgrade to something a bit nicer. Toyo, Vred, etc. Anything but Kuhmo. :i_rolleyes: :D

I wouldn't go wasting your money on tires unless you do a lot of.... um.... spirited driving on the streets or you're going to the track.

Good luck! :smileup:

19. Jeffnwm

Jeffnwm New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Magnesium
    Thx TDF...I'd ordered the Pred...need to burn out a half tank of gas to fill up with the 91...I read that needs to be in for the tune.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  20. ToDieFor

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    300C SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    No problem. We're here to help!

It's not going to make your car blow up if you run 89 on occasion with a 91 tune. Having said that, I should say that I don't recommend it and if you're running an 91 tune I would fill up with 91, 92 or 93 depending on the station that you stop at. I'm running a custom 91 tune and I always put at least 91 in it. Anything over 91 wont hurt, you just wont see any gains without your motor/computer being tuned for the higher octane. I assume this applies to the lower octanes as well but I cannot confirm that theory.