Two problems - Speedometer / Voltage light

Discussion in 'Chrysler 300 Electrical Problems and Questions' started by tadracket, Oct 29, 2008.

1. tadracket

tadracket New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    Touring
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Good morning all. I have a couple things I need to fix on my '05. It has 118,000 miles on it and I planned on changing the battery very soon. My lights in the morning, especially when it is cold out, flicker at a pretty constant rate of 1.5-2 times per second. I do understand there is a bulletin out on this and the puter may need flashed. But on the way to work this morning, I got caught in terrible traffic. So I rolled from radio to cd mode and started jamming some metal tunes. Last week I installed a 12" RockFos P3 and a 640 watt Pioneer. It does ok I guess, definitley helped out the 4 speaker stock system. All of a sudden, my voltage light comes on. The car ran fine for the next 30 minutes to work, I shut the stereo off as soon as the light came on.

My question is, What seems to be the majority issue that causes this light to come on? Week battery? Week alternator? Something even more serious that would require a dealer to step in :(?

My second question is with the speedometer. It does not work. But the mileage does. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas any of you fine folks may have. One day I will post some pics of my car. I almost have everything together to do a carputer. This car may not be a power house, but I love it anyway.

2. stillbad

stillbad Well-Known Member Forum Founder MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    I am no expert on either of these problems but since you installed the stereo gear last week sounds like you could have taped into something you shouldn't have or needs to be hooked up different.

Shawn ( Blowndakrt) is the expert here so he will more than likely be able help you..

3. Ultimatecarman45

Ultimatecarman45 Senior Member Forum Founder MOTM Winner! MOTY Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Chrysler
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    Charger SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    There could be a few items wrong. Most of them easy to test.

Most auto places can test batteries and alternators pretty easy. There has to be a voltage regulator of sorts on the car but I'm betting it's integrated in with something else.

It sounds like either you're battery or alternator isn't up to snuff though and isn't producing enough power at idle, and the sub/amp exposed it.

As for the speedometer, the mileage isn't linked to it by cable anymore, it is all digital now. Either the gears in the cluster are misaligned or broken, or something is wrong with the harness for that item.

4. tadracket

tadracket New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    Touring
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Ouch. The speedo problem sounds like something I may let the dealer hack in to.

I failed to mention all this was going on before I installed the amp and sub, except the voltage light. That is new. But I went out last night to go home and when I fired up the car, the light was off. I went ahead and bought an Optima Red at Sam's Club last night. I'll get that installed this evening and see if the flickering goes away. I am also planning on doing the Big 3 mod. Just for piece of mind. My amp wire is bigger than what Chrysler is running on the ground wire and rear fuse block. :)

Thanks guys for the input.

5. rawrods

rawrods New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    I’ve also have lights flickering. When driving around 1500 RPM'S the lights will start to flicker like crazy. Its done this ever since I got the car (05 300c). I even took the car into have it checked and they didn’t find anything wrong but guess what it still does it around 1500 RPM'S. I’m starting to think its in the alt because that's the only thing moving with the RPM'S. I will not know until I change it but It don’t do it at 1400 or at 1600 and up so that just my 2 cents and yes Ive checked all the ground and fuses.

6. gleagroup

gleagroup New Member

Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen2 - 2011
    Trim?:
    Touring
    Color?:
    Cool Vanilla
    Did you find the RPM problem? My instruments and speedometer go haywire when I get above 1000 rpm. Brand new alternator. Battery is good but seen to be charged a bit high , 13v. Battery save mode constantly on even though battery is charged.