Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought an 05 300c with the 5.7. He had it less that a week when we had heavy rainfall and he tried to drive thru a flooded st. Blew a hole in the oil pan, a piston came completely apart. We are having trouble finding an engine for this that dosent cost an arm and a leg. Can someone help me with some options or a direction to head. We live in SE MI. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
374 Posts
The pre-Eagle 5.7 has a sort of Achilles heel. Once they get over roughly 100k miles or so, they have a tendency to drop valve seats. Once that happens, the engine is scrap.

As a result, there is always plenty of demand for good used engines, keeping prices high.

There's really no cheap fix in this situation. Nothing else will swap in without a lot of aggravation.

Earlier RAM 5.7s are generally cheaper and more readily available, but they lack MDS and EGR. You can bypass the EGR without too much trouble (or use the 300C heads) and disable MDS with a tune. The cost of the tuner will probably eat any potential cost savings, to say nothing of all the extra labor.

My suggestion would be to source a used engine from car-part.com or Craigslist. Another option would be a reman engine, but prices are up due to the pandemic. Expect to pay $2500 or so for a short block, $3500 for a long block.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pre-Eagle 5.7 has a sort of Achilles heel. Once they get over roughly 100k miles or so, they have a tendency to drop valve seats. Once that happens, the engine is scrap.

As a result, there is always plenty of demand for good used engines, keeping prices high.

There's really no cheap fix in this situation. Nothing else will swap in without a lot of aggravation.

Earlier RAM 5.7s are generally cheaper and more readily available, but they lack MDS and EGR. You can bypass the EGR without too much trouble (or use the 300C heads) and disable MDS with a tune. The cost of the tuner will probably eat any potential cost savings, to say nothing of all the extra labor.

My suggestion would be to source a used engine from car-part.com or Craigslist. Another option would be a reman engine, but prices are up due to the pandemic. Expect to pay $2500 or so for a short block, $3500 for a long block.
Oof. Yea thats the prices we are running into. Can I drop an ls in it? Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts