Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a 06 Chrysler 300 3.5L engine with a 140K miles. When I try and started it all the dashboard lights come on but, wont start. I dont have the original key and I'm wondering if the key is not right. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 300S 5.7L, Alloy Edition, Black on Black
93 Posts
I recently inherited a 06 Chrysler 300 3.5L engine with a 140K miles. When I try and started it all the dashboard lights come on but, wont start. I dont have the original key and I'm wondering if the key is not right. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Inherited car, original key unavailable, no good at all. Have the estate take it back.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If the key is not original, it may not be programmed correctly. I'm guessing no one is available who can tell you whether or not this particular key ever was able to start the car.

Check your owner's manual for information on the anti-theft indicator light. It should come on with the other idiot lights, but if it continues to blink, it is not recognizing the key.

Check the manual, watch a couple of YouTube videos and see if it looks like an anti-theft/immobilizer issue. If it is, a l0cksmith or a dealershop can get the PIN and either program your key or cut you a new one. Another option is to try to pull the code with any Android device and the Chrysler Key Code Puller app from the Play Store. Once you have that, you can buy a key from that big auction website, take it to a dealership, and ask them to program it for you. Ask nicely and smile.

If the anti-theft indicator is not blinking, it could be any one of a number of other issues. Let us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How come you didn't have the original key?
The key was lost. I've had a key made and programmed. The car is running now but, theres a P0052, P0058 and a P0499 code.
If the key is not original, it may not be programmed correctly. I'm guessing no one is available who can tell you whether or not this particular key ever was able to start the car.

Check your owner's manual for information on the anti-theft indicator light. It should come on with the other idiot lights, but if it continues to blink, it is not recognizing the key.

Check the manual, watch a couple of YouTube videos and see if it looks like an anti-theft/immobilizer issue. If it is, a l0cksmith or a dealershop can get the PIN and either program your key or cut you a new one. Another option is to try to pull the code with any Android device and the Chrysler Key Code Puller app from the Play Store. Once you have that, you can buy a key from that big auction website, take it to a dealership, and ask them to program it for you. Ask nicely and smile.

If the anti-theft indicator is not blinking, it could be any one of a number of other issues. Let us know.
I was able to get a key cut and programmed by a locksmith. After starting the car I have a few codes that are concerning. P0049, P0052 and P0058.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The key was lost. I've had a key made and programmed. The car is running now but, theres a P0052, P0058 and a P0499 code.
Great.

I'm going to guess that this car sat for some time before you got it. Modern ethanol fuel mixtures like E10 have a maximum shelf life of roughly three months. If it's been sitting for more than a few months, the fuel has likely soured and fouled the O2 sensors, which are represented by the P0052 and P0058 codes.

The first thing I'd do is drop in some Chevron Techron concentrate, then fill the tank to the top with fresh fuel. Make sure you tighten the fuel cap properly, and clear the codes. The P0499 may go away on its own, it indicates a problem with the EVAP. On LX cars this can have many causes, but it could be as simple as not driving the car for a few months, with the car sitting in the sun and the fuel expanding and contracting with temperature changes. So I'd just try driving it with fresh fuel and Techron. Run the tank all the way down to E, refill with fresh fuel, clear the codes if they come back, and see how it shakes out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great.

I'm going to guess that this car sat for some time before you got it. Modern ethanol fuel mixtures like E10 have a maximum shelf life of roughly three months. If it's been sitting for more than a few months, the fuel has likely soured and fouled the O2 sensors, which are represented by the P0052 and P0058 codes.

The first thing I'd do is drop in some Chevron Techron concentrate, then fill the tank to the top with fresh fuel. Make sure you tighten the fuel cap properly, and clear the codes. The P0499 may go away on its own, it indicates a problem with the EVAP. On LX cars this can have many causes, but it could be as simple as not driving the car for a few months, with the car sitting in the sun and the fuel expanding and contracting with temperature changes. So I'd just try driving it with fresh fuel and Techron. Run the tank all the way down to E, refill with fresh fuel, clear the codes if they come back, and see how it shakes out.
It did sit up for a at least a year I was told. I took a gamble on this car knowing there was a chance of some issues from sitting. I will try the chevron but, the issue I'm having is that I can't keep the car running. Once I go to put it in gear the car shuts off. I'm contemplating on junking it but it's a nice looking car.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
It did sit up for a at least a year I was told. I took a gamble on this car knowing there was a chance of some issues from sitting. I will try the chevron but, the issue I'm having is that I can't keep the car running. Once I go to put it in gear the car shuts off. I'm contemplating on junking it but it's a nice looking car.
The diagnostic tree forks at this point. You start it, it runs, and remains running until you put it in gear? If you do not put it in gear, will it run for, say, several minutes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's your electronic throttle warning lamp. Check out this video for some baseline info on ETC troubleshooting.
Thank You. That video sheds light on my situation with this car. I thought it had a rod knock or a flywheel and it appears that it might be the ETC or the PCM. I'm waiting on a bigger scanner to scan it to see if it picks that up before I start throwing unnecessary parts on it. Thanks again. Very helpful information

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thank You. That video sheds light on my situation with this car. I thought it had a rod knock or a flywheel and it appears that it might be the ETC or the PCM. I'm waiting on a bigger scanner to scan it to see if it picks that up before I start throwing unnecessary parts on it. Thanks again. Very helpful information
No problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Heck, don't scrap it if the fuel system is gunked up. Sell it to someone who knows what's going on and knows how to fix it. My dumbazz son in law did the same with the car he bought for my daughter (his future wife). They screwed around with it and finally gave up. His dad claimed to be a mechanic too. Dumping fuel system cleaner in the tank after that length of time does no good. Entire fuel system will have to be disassembled and cleaned. I avoid gasoline mixed with corn liquor (ethanol) like the plague. Sadly, that's all one can get in some places.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heck, don't scrap it if the fuel system is gunked up. Sell it to someone who knows what's going on and knows how to fix it. My dumbazz son in law did the same with the car he bought for my daughter (his future wife). They screwed around with it and finally gave up. His dad claimed to be a mechanic too. Dumping fuel system cleaner in the tank after that length of time does no good. Entire fuel system will have to be disassembled and cleaned. I avoid gasoline mixed with corn liquor (ethanol) like the plague. Sadly, that's all one can get in some places.
I'm at the point where I'm done with it. I've had a couple mechanics out and scanned it and they both say that the rocker arm on the driver side is knocking among other issues from sitting. I'm going to sell it but people want something for free.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm at the point where I'm done with it. I've had a couple mechanics out and scanned it and they both say that the rocker arm on the driver side is knocking among other issues from sitting. I'm going to sell it but people want something for free.
Start by listing it on these forums. As far as you know, the car has sat up for a lengthy period and runs poorly - that's all you know for sure motorwise. Someone will make you a fair offer eventually, even if they end up parting out the car. Don't provide any more info than necessary as non serious people will waste your time. Cost nothing to list it in these 300 forums, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

I sold a near immaculate Mercury Marauder a few years back. Knowledgeable people started a bidding war, while unknowledgeable, non serious people (mostly local) just wasted my time. Sold the car for a tidy sum to a gentleman in Louisiana who already owned two and was very familiar with them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts