2006 Drivers Seat base stops early and often and will not go to preset

Discussion in 'Chrysler 300 Electrical Problems and Questions' started by Duane, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    I have a 2006 300C that I bought used a couple years ago. It has a weird problem with the drivers seat and I didn't see answers anywhere else. Two issues:

1) the base of the drivers seat will not move via the preset button. The button does everything else (changes the radio, moves the steering wheel, moves the seat back, moves the pedals). But the seat will not move. I've heard people reference doing a reset, but can't find details on how to reset (vague reference to moving all the way forward and back like the windows). Any thoughts? Do I need to have the dealer reset it? Will this happen often, requiring multiple visits to the dealer?

2) the base "stutters" when being moved.. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'2", so it gets moved alot.. When I move it backwards (and I think other directions, but for sure backwards/forwards) it will move for an inch or so and then stop.. if I press the button in a different direction for a moment (say, down) OR continue to hold it back for a couple seconds, then release and press it back again the seat will again move an inch or two and stop.. I have to repeat the process several times to get it all the way to the back position.

Background on an issue that I just fixed:

It used to get stuck in a position and would require me to fiddle with the wires under the seat to get it moving again.. last week I took the seat out and inspected the wires. I found one wire (green, i think with black stripe) had the insulation worn down in a spot to the bare metal. I think it was occasionally shorting out against the seat frame. I made sure the electrical tape covered the bare spot and moved the bundle in the retainer so that the wire would no longer be in the path of the moving part that caused the wear on the insulation. Since then the seat hasn't been stuck (knock on wood), but issue 1 and 2 above persist. This is just some background on the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help. I did some searches, but almost everything I found was in relation to the preset button failing to do anything, the only issue I have is with the seat base movement.