Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent the last nine months obsessing about the ridiculous logic behind the AC system in my dual comfort zone 300 Limited AWD.

Understandably, the average driver of a 300 probably uses the AUTO air mode mostly and won’t have noticed the following issues as I have. My observations below have been verified by a 2009 version of my 2008 Limited AWD model. Unfortunately, this comparison released my dealer’s Service Department of any responsibilities to look after my concerns as it is acting ‘as specified’ according to other cars of the same model, even though these characteristics contradict the Operating Manual.
1) A/C overrides Manual setting.​
Any vent mixture AFTER Defrost-only up to (and including) Floor-only turns on the A/C full-time (without turning on the manual A/C indicator light). There is no fan-only option in these four modes and the only way to change the temperature is to turn the temp dial all the way up to the maximum to mix in hot air with the A/C.

2) Erratic air flow distribution on Manual settings.

For Floor Only mode and the next mode (mix between Floor-only and Bi-Level), the air flow is not only directed to the floor and/or the front grilles, but ALSO to the side window grilles AND to the Defrost grilles (both should only be active for any mixture of defrost settings which are not selected in this case). The next mode (Bi-level) turns the side and defrost flows off which is the way the Floor Only mode should behave as well according to (i) logic, and (ii) the Owner’s Manual.

2008 Owner’s Manual extract:
“The operator can override the AUTO mode setting to change airflow distribution by rotating the mode control knob (on the right) to one of the following positions…”

“Floor: Air flows through the floor outlets located under the instrument panel and into the rear seating area through vents under the front seats”

This is clearly a contradiction to how the overall HVAC unit behaves on several levels.

Consequences:

• If you choose any of the four modes in (1) above, you might as well be driving a V12 as you’ll be getting the same fuel economy since the A/C cannot be turned off.

• The combination of (1) and (2) above in hot weather causes the outside of the front windshield to fog up at the base from the cold A/C air. You’ll either have to turn up the heat (defeating the purpose of having on A/C in the car in the middle of summer) or turn on the windshield wipers every 15 seconds so you can see out the window.

I’d hate to think what the possible consequences are for running the A/C all winter long for several hours every day. I can’t imagine it being healthy on the system even though I was told by the Chrysler dealer that it’s fine as long as there’s adequate lubrication in the compressor.

My Dealer’s Service Department agrees that this is weird behaviour but is at a loss as there’s nothing further they can do since there are no error codes in the system and hence, is working as designed by Chrysler. They replaced the main Control Unit when I first reported the issue back in December after purchasing the car (when I got freezing cold air coming through the vents in the middle of winter) but I noticed that the problems remained. The mechanics also opened a ticket with Chrysler’s Tech Connect network up here but no one else seems to have reported a similar issue to-date. They have also been looking for flash-upgrades to the Control Head Unit but none are available yet.

If anyone can reproduce these abnormalities in their 300 (I have no idea how wide-spread this problem is among the 2008/2009 models), please report them to your dealer and hopefully we can add enough pressure for them to come out with a flash upgrade to cure this insanity.

Don’t get me wrong… I LOVE my 300 AWD (especially for winter traction up here) but this is definitely a major inconvenience that I would like to see resolved by Chrysler.

Thanks for this great forum folks. Keep up the good work.

Gerrit

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I believe I have experienced the fogging issue at the base of the windshield myself.

This may sound lame but I have not fully explored the HVAC operation myself. I set it on manual and adjust temp/fan/function manually to suit my needs.

One of these days I'll spend a little time exploring the AUTO setting but for now, I'll go with what I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe I have experienced the fogging issue at the base of the windshield myself.

This may sound lame but I have not fully explored the HVAC operation myself. I set it on manual and adjust temp/fan/function manually to suit my needs.

One of these days I'll spend a little time exploring the AUTO setting but for now, I'll go with what I know.

Hi Maddog,

Yes, i am a fan of the Floor-only mode to circulate the air in my car. This is what got me to notice that the A/C won't turn off in that mode. The AUTO mode is actually pretty cool with all its body-heat and ambient heat/front window direct sunlight sensors. Still, i prefer the manual modes as well.

Gerrit

1 - 3 of 3 Posts