Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi, your link to lawsuit seems to account for status up to 2007 and mentions engines from 1998-2003.
I tried reading comments and they were all over the place so that was no help.

I am still confused, how do you relate a 2009 2.7L to this lawsuit ? Did you find documentation engines made after 2004 and owners provided proof they kept up with maintenance were experiencing engine failures ?

I saw the article mention in 2009 a bunch of lawsuits were combined so one judge could streamline the proceeding....

Are you a victim of engine failure ?
-ALF
I provided that link as an example of why your quote from Allpar, "This problem was solved (around 2002-2004), and the number of engine failures appears to be small" should not be taken seriously. If you're looking for a highly-simplified summary, consider this quote from Wikipedia's article on the Chrysler 2.7 LH engine;

"Buildup of oil sludge is a common issue that plagues this engine. Higher than average operating temperature, an insufficient oil capacity and the timing chain driven water pump leaking into the crankcase are all factors in why this occurs .[3] The 2.7 L V6 engines have suffered from oil sludge contamination.[4][5][6] In February 2009, five separate class action lawsuits related to the alleged oil sludge defect were consolidated to the District of New Jersey.[7] During the Chrysler bankruptcy proceedings, there was concern among consumer advocate groups that Chrysler's proposed "free and clear" sale of assets to "New Chrysler" would allow the automaker to avoid liability for the oil sludge defect.[8]

The engine was affected by an oil sludge problem and premature timing chain tensioner failure. The oil sludge issue appears to have been caused by issues with the crankcase ventilation system, and while it affected a minority of engines, it could cause complete failure[1] In some cases, neglected maintenance aided in premature failure (missed oil changes or increased intervals between oil changes). Also this engine was plagued with issues regarding the water pump gasket leaking coolant internally and diluting the oil. Such coolant leaks must be addressed instantly or engine failure is imminent.[9]"

The reputation of the Chrysler 2.7 is very well known in the enthusiast community and the auto repair industry. If you'd like to learn more about it, I'd suggest you Google "Chrysler 2.7", read some of the articles, watch a few YouTube videos, and come to your own conclusions. If you would rather just believe that the reliability and durability of the post-2004 2.7 is average or better, that's fine with me. The reason for my comment was to try and help you avoid a situation where a potential catastrophic engine failure leaves you with a car that is not worth the cost of repairing it, and on top of that, you've lost whatever you may have spent on aftermarket wheels and new tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts