Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am buying a 2011 300c.

the only negative thing i read on the internet on this car is the 5 speed gearbox.

is it noticeably bad?

I have been driving a lexus LS430, so in comparison to this, how is the 300c?

Thanks,

Tumen

·
Registered
105 Posts
5 Speed Hemi vs other higher numbers.

Really never have giving much thought. My Mercedes had a six speed and took too long to down shift but that was a V6. The difference I find that is noticeable Under 40-45 is when I am in third gear. If I let up on the gas the transmission will shift to 4th. Don't know if that is a good thing or not. Since you buy the Hemi for it's massive torque, the car is always rearing to go. Another thing I have noticed different in my 2011 "C" from the 2008 HEMI, is the car feels like it applies the brakes (again engine torque, this time opposing me to do this) when you start to coast. After a while, you will soon realize it is down shifting as you go thru certain set points getting ready to stop. Again, it is ready to haul buggy when called on and is getting into the necessary gear. In the 2008, it had the adaptive cruise control and I absolutely hated it and dealer disconnected for me. This thing damn near kills you when someone ducks in between you and you have cars following close. The multiple gear thing is automobile companies trying to comply with gas requirements. I get over 30 mpg easy on highway but city is any where 11+ to high 13's in the way I drive. Like to feel the torque. I could get a lot better, but I do not want to.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The good thing about the 5-speed box is that it is actually a good gearbox. It from Mercedes, and is pretty reliable and durable. The same gearbox (albeit with some alterations) is used in the 2013 S63 AMG. It shifts smoothly and if you're into engine mods can take a good beating.

The bad thing is that in today's automotive market with 10 speed autos right around the corner, frankly, it's old. It's rumored that the 2015 300/Charger/Challenger 5.7 and 6.4 will get the new 8-speed.

If I were you I'd test both the V8 with 5-speed and 2012+ V6 with the 8-speed. If you don't race, you're probably better of with the V6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies.

I have chosen to buy the 5.7 litre engine. I am really happy with the car, how it drives and feels.

Thinking of having Corsa exhaust, but really don't know which is better in what way. Can you please suggest a type of exhaust that isn't too loud all the time? Loud exhaust would not suit the classy style, right?

Also, would cold air intake be something I should consider? (as Dubai can become quite hot in summer)

Cheers,

Tumen

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

I just had a quote from the dealer for the below items:

- Cat Back Exhaust USD 2,402 including fitting

- Cold air intake (brand unknown) - USD 1000 including fitting

- Black wheel rim 20 inch - USD 1000 each.

- Black grill - USD1,395 insluding fitting

To me this sounds very expensive, but i guess the quality would be good as this is by Mopar in Dubai.

What would these cost in the US?

Thanks,

Tumen

·
a.k.a. EvilSRT
2,409 Posts
The most expensive cat back exhaust is Corsa which can run you from $1200 to $1400 in the US. Intake... Around $250 to $450. Grille... around $350 for a nice one. Black wheels.... Let's say starting at $1000 for a set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The most expensive cat back exhaust is Corsa which can run you from $1200 to $1400 in the US. Intake... Around $250 to $450. Grille... around $350 for a nice one. Black wheels.... Let's say starting at $1000 for a set.

Thank you very much. I will ask my friends in the US to buy for me in that case.

Cheers,

Tumen

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are in Dubai then stay the hell away from a Cold Air Intake. As I understand it, there is a lot of sand there, and the cold air intakes are more prone to sucking in debris (like sand) into your engine. Just my opinion. The updgrade really isnt worth the risk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Sachem1, i haven't done anything to the car yet. it is perfect as it is.

Dubai is sandy and we do get sand storms from time to time (but not like the tom cruise movie, that was unrealistic).

in dubai we get two types of petrol. 95 and 98 octane. i am using 98 and paying a small premium of course. When i went to Dallas, i noticed you even have 86! if i am not mistaken, the highest was 97? i might be wrong though.

question is - which should i be using? if i use 95, do i get less power?

Cheers,

Tumen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tumen - If you read the manual, the 5.7L engine only REQUIRES 87 octane, but "89 is preferred." Did you purchase your car from North America or was it purchased there? Sometimes the international versions of cars operate under different requirements, so just double check your manual.

here in the states, octane varies from station to station. Some carry 86 as "regular" while other call 87 "regular." Then you can see octanes like 89, 91, 97, 98... Some fueling stations offer 1 type, some offer 2 and most offer 3. Ive seen some that offer 4 + diesel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts