Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have/had this problem? Traded my 2008 300C August 15 for a 2011 300c and the trunk lid (the lid) completely fills up with water when it rains. When I open trunk, water gushes right out of the little corner holes and dumps into trunk, if I am not careful. I park on a 10 to 15 degree slope. I was wonder if others have/had this problem. Taking it dealer to get this fixed. I can't see where it is getting into lid but I' ll look again.:shrk:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Need someone to look at their 2011 trunk lid.

Don't Know.. Just rained.. I'll level car and check it.. Be back in a minute.
Interest... First time I really looked for a route for water. Couldn't be wiring that is inside trunk support arms.

I checked gasket, appears Ok, but I did find two more holes. Let me explain. The bottom drain holes are on the rear corners inside the trunk lid that is by the bumper. (No water was in lid this shower and when level).

I found the trunk lid also has two more holes at each corner of the lid by the rear window, Think of it as a box with the four corners having little drain holes. The uppers are right by the upper trunk gasket and water could come in. Now the surprising part. The upper holes are covered with a small circle ( 1 1/2 inch) of scotch tape with the left one compromised and only being glued 1/2 of the circle. I am wondering if these were left on car when being built or suppose to be there and sealed. I am wondering if these holes should be open to act as an air vent

Would someone please check and see if their 2011-13, 300 has the upper drain trunk lid holes covered or not. Then my fix should be simple. Thanks in advance. whew.

·
Registered
113 Posts
On a new 2012, the stick on plastic covers the hole.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll keep an eye on that silly stick on tape.
Still, that hole should sit a half inch above the drain channel that carries water from the rear Window, bit if parked nose down (fairly steep) I could see water building up in that channel.

But even then, it would have to flow Up Hill into that hole to fill the trunk lid spars.
Maybe leaves or something blocking the drain channel?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is exactly what I needed... Design screw up

On a new 2012, the stick on plastic covers the hole.
http://db.tt/E9PEJ3Lh

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll keep an eye on that silly stick on tape.
Still, that hole should sit a half inch above the drain channel that carries water from the rear Window, bit if parked nose down (fairly steep) I could see water building up in that channel.

But even then, it would have to flow Up Hill into that hole to fill the trunk lid spars.
Maybe leaves or something blocking the drain channel?
Doesn't fill spars just lid and gasket at the bottom seals so good doesn't drain out. My car even thou it is a 2011, was delivered Nov 2011. Your picture looks like your tape will fail soon. Can you imagine scotch tape over a hole? your right it, is on the channel drain. I am going to pull off and seal. Tnx for responce. This should be a list to be aware of as it will rust out trunk lid. Enclosed is picture of my wife's cherry red.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok, in the light of day, I went out and looked again, and I was wrong about the hole.

The hole will land on a rubber dam at the bottom of the window, not over the drain channel beside the trunk opening.
Put your finger on that tape closure, (from the window side of the trunk lid) slowly close the lid with your other hand and you will see where it will touch down on that dam.

Being on the dam, its no wonder you have a ton of water funneling into that hole, it has to flow past the hole to get to the gap leading to the drain channel.

The bottom edge holes drain directly into the channel.

So if I were you, pull both top tapes and bottom tapes, and let it drain. Then park out in the sun for a few days to evap all the water out, then permanently seal the top ones.

Its a toss up whether you have to seal the bottom holes or not.
Personally, I think that weather strip should be trimmed back a bit, or have another channel cut into it preceding the hole.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35567349/IMAG0525.jpg Tape plug on drain hole

Video showing that tape plug will sit right on top of the rubber window dam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvNtouhLaOQ

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35567349/IMAG0527.jpg Weld Joint. Look for these too. A dab of hot glue wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was just looking at those tape rounds the other day,,,figure they must be there for a reason...althoug I thought it must be for keeping contaminents out during the buikld process and almost pulled em off. My guess is that the holes are needed to vent air either during welding or stamping or paint...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great Pictures Icebike

Went out this morning.... I used ordinary scotch tape on my left plastic gasket to see temporarily what will happen. left the old, just went around edge.

I will check the weld bead you show too. Meanwhile I am awaiting a rain. (or hose) Based on your (ICEBIKE) pictures... which are terrific, I looked around some more. Next to plastic gasket that is/was leaking, I noticed Chrysler has some kind of sealant around the bead of the trunk lid which is painted.

Right by the gasket in question, is about 2 1/2" long, lifted 1/32" bead opening off the lid. Suspect two. I am pretty sure it was the plastic gasket. I agree with silverfox on the use of holes, but boy............they are going to have trouble with these.

People will pull them off, and me, being in South Florida, the heat has already lifted my left one so it no longer seals. It looks like Icebike, yours has almost lifted to the hole too. I have no bottom tapes... do you????? My lower openings, lay right on top of the gasket, just like yours and doesn't allow drainage except when you open. Hope this is end of this adventure.. Thanks for your help. Post your pictures Icebike for others.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually if you look at my First Photo, it kind of looks like its about to lift off, but its very well stuck down right now. Its just that this is not a flat surface, and the tape bridges a valley.

Yes, I have bottom tapes (close to the rear bumper) as well as top tapes (close to the windshield). ("Top" and "bottom" when trunk is closed).

I didn't check for sure if the bottom ones land on a rubber seal when trunk is closed, but I'm going to double check that as soon as I can pry the car out of the wife's hands. If you say yours land on a rubber seal, than probably mine do to.

These tapes are really a dumb solution. I'm going over the car this afternoon looking for any other places these might have been used. If I find any more, I'll post locations.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opp's. (my temporarily tape job lifted from yesterday before rain) What I thought, where rain holes were actually located, wasn't. Did what you told me, put fingers on holes and close lid. Found both holes outside trunk gasket. The bottom well clear of gasket and should easily drain. "Not"

I opened lid this morning after rain and the more I opened it, the more water came out. ?????? (left side bottom) When I begin to lift, nothing came out bottom holes, so water is trapped inside somewhere else other than the bottom. Plan today to pull left gasket and seal, and the little area I saw by plastic gasket. I Checked bead around trunk lid, like you found in photo, but found none. Some small places suspicious. Wll report back next rain.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leaked Fixed................ Two very hard, and long, tropical storms have hit in the last several days. I completely removed the left plastic tape ring and sealed the hole, with Permatex Black silicon adhesive sealer the little hole and the area right by it that had appeared to pull apart. So if you have water dripping/pouring into your trunk when you lift your lid check these plastic rings

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the dealer has to say about this, especially when you think about the potential for rusting that this could have caused you.

Glad it is fixed though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Simillar Issues - Help!

Hello, I read your post about the trunk lid leaking. I too purchased a 2012 (old stock) 300c that has had similar issues. (purchased about 4 weeks ago)

The day after I bought the car, there was a pretty serious rain storm. The next day I opened my trunk lid with the Key Fob, only, it popped but did not open. I went to lift the lid only to feel that it was very heavy. (full of water) Once I got it open I noticed that water was pouring from the lid into my trunk as I opened. The water was coming from the carpeted lid interior cover. (corners) I found your post and went to my dealer immediately. They dried the trunk well and carpet and scraped the bottom hole "scotch tape" off and resealed the top holes.

They water tested the car all day before returning it to me as fixed. This was about 4 weeks ago and I have not had any issues with water in the car or in the trunk lid. Yesterday there was a heavy downpour here so I figured that I would go check the "fix." To my surprise, when I opened the lid, water was shooting now out of the two lower holes like a supersoaker water gun..... I let the water continue to drip out.

From my description, would you be able to tell me if the fix that the dealership implemented was correct? It seemed that if the lid is holding water like that, them I am bound to have issues down the road with either moisture or the integrity of the lid...

Here is a (bad) video of the holes last night after the water drained out:

http://youtu.be/T4ow_XxAM0I

·
Registered
113 Posts
You want to hot glue those top holes totally shut after getting rid of the top stick on patches.
Then, check the entire edge of the trunk lid, where it is closest to the rear Window, looking for slight openings in the weld, and hot glue those az well.

Pull the bottom patches and let the water drain, park it in the sun so it gets good and hot and vents all of the water left in the lid. Maybe blow some WD40 up there.

It looks to me like your dealer just re-did it the factory way. But depending on how that trunk lid mates with rubber trunk gasket, that hole can sit on the gasket, or outside of the gasket where rain running down the rear wind collects in the corners and siphons into the trunk.

That plastic stick on patch will never be satisfactory if those holes sit outside of the gasket.

Hot glue or silicone is my recommendation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply!! Just to be clear, when you say "Top" holes, you are referring to the ones closest to the rear glass, correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this feed is old but super helpful. I recently purchase my second 300 (2012) first one was a 2005 with 274K miles on it when I hit a deer and totaled it. It still drove amazing. With that many miles on it I was confident in purchasing another older 300. Anyways I definitely have the water in the lid issue, so thanks again for the trouble shooting now I can fix the issue. Just wonder why previous owner didn't fix. Oh well. Hope to learn more in this group.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts