Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new, base 2013 Chrysler 300 with advertised COMFORT SUSPENSION! Car rides impossibly stiff and terribly unpleasant to drive. When braked hard, car doesn't dip front to back as in the old days, but shudders eerily. Springs and shocks are as stiff as a crow bar and the car waddles over bumps. Bumps are not absorbed by the suspension, but cause the car to bob up and down. Dealer tells me that is way the kiddies like it. The electric steering is unpleasant for a 90 year old man to wrestle with. After three years of unpleasant motoring, I have only 11,500 on the odometer. Am trying find aftermarket shocks that will loosen the suspension up some. Have come to believe that dumping the car is the only solution. Other than the hard steering and rock hard suspension, the car is world class. Anyone know of aftermarket shocks or/and springs that would help me?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have a solution for you Marvin (somebody should though), but you ARE making me feel sorry for my weekly garbage men, so I'm thinking maybe I'll put out a cushion for them to take and use. Seriously though, I sincerely hope this problem is rectified for you soon though, I know you deserve, and should give yourself, quite a bit better. Otherwise and coincidentally, I own a '13 myslelf and am quite happy with the comfort level. Of course maybe I'm just a little more tolerant than y ou here on the cusp of 60. Best of luck!

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a solution for you Marvin (somebody should though), but you ARE making me feel sorry for my weekly garbage men, so I'm thinking maybe I'll put out a cushion for them to take and use. Seriously though, I sincerely hope this problem is rectified for you soon though, I know you deserve, and should give yourself, quite a bit better. Otherwise and coincidentally, I own a '13 myslelf and am quite happy with the comfort level. Of course maybe I'm just a little more tolerant than y ou here on the cusp of 60. Best of luck!

Mike
Thank you for your reply. My first name is Melvin. As a survivor of WWII. I was fortunate enough to have owned and driven some truly great autos immediately after the great war was over. My parents purchased a new Lincoln Zephyr (1947) with buggy springs that was the best riding car that I ever had the joy to drive. It was not designed to dash from 0-60 or slide around corners at break neck speeds, but to turn rough roads into smooth ones and to furnish pure comfort. It was deadly quiet transportation and had those terrible bias ply tires that are so maligned today. The buggy springs were far superior to coils, being true variable rate units. Cadillac is still trying to get a coil to ride as good as buggy springs. spending millions of dollars on magnetic this and that to ape the leaf spring, without success. Ford's leaf springs were driven off the market by the same extremists that banished the great riding bias ply tires with nice fat sidewalls that absorbed all but the worst of bumps. The same nut cases that are giving us twenty inch wheels and rubber band tires. It is interesting to note that Toyota in 2013 gave the Avalon stiff springs and stiff steering and a crumby ride to entice the kiddies to buy it, but lost so many sales that they brought back the good ride in one model in 2016. I purchased the first Ford hybrid in our little valley in 2010 and found it to be unacceptably stiff riding due to the heavy duty suspension to accommodate the four hundred plus pounds of battery pack behind the rear seat. I advertised it for sale and a young lady called me to inquire about why I was selling it and I told her it rode terrible. She replied that she enjoyed the stiff ride, the stiffer the better says she. Nut cases back in the 1940's and '50's blacked out all chrome, chopped tops, raised rear ends with over sized tires, chopped front springs, etc. They were the object of ridicule back then, but are designing cars today. Untold millions of miles were driven on bias ply tires for many years, many by myself and I never had them follow cracks in the road. I am driving a car that is stiffer than a board, hard to steer and all in all, rather unpleasant to operate. Someday, the auto magazines might steer the public back to smooth, comfortable family cars, but I don't hold out much hope. Way back when rational minds designed cars, the primary car was a smooth riding family sedan with a heavy duty option as a special order. Today, we have no options! Radical is in, conservatism is out! Ever hear the expression, cookie cutter cars? Monkey see, monkey do! If you enjoy constant jolting driving down the sorry roads we have today, more power to you. To each his own! I can't buy a soft riding shock any more because the radicals have driven them off the market. If your 2013 Chrysler 300 has a compliant suspension, then I must have a lemon! When I pull into the lot where I live, the lot is higher than the street and of necessity, I pull in at an angle. If I enter at five miles per hour or so, the front wheel that hits the entrance throws the car up to that side and when the other front wheel hits the entrance it throws the car up on the opposite side and then the back end the same, which
results in my being tossed around from side to side. When I drive in the same entrance in my 1971 Heavy Duty suspension Thunderbird, no tossing at all! Unfortunately, my T-Bird is pretty well worn out, or I would drive it full time. Why don't they make a 300 for comfortable family cruising and a stiff, clunky riding model for the kiddies!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow - sounds like you've had quite the varied history. I'm in total awe, Sir. I don't to this website often, but thought you might benefit -- if you didn't know already -- that there is a much more prolific website for our cars here: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/2nd-generation-chrysler-300-discussion/
What with all the more foot traffic there perhaps posting your concerns at that subforum might get you some viable results. All the best - Mike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow - sounds like you've had quite the varied history. I'm in total awe, Sir. I don't to this website often, but thought you might benefit -- if you didn't know already -- that there is a much more prolific website for our cars here: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/2nd-generation-chrysler-300-discussion/
What with all the more foot traffic there perhaps posting your concerns at that subforum might get you some viable results. All the best - Mike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the web site you mentioned and the first thing I noticed was a decided affection for weird, oversized wheels with tires with next to non existent sidewalls which are guaranteed to produce the hardest ride possible and a high probability of rim damage if striking stones or other objects in the roadway. 22 inch wheels are totally ridiculous and might look good to extremest, but to me are hideous. Also noticed articles about superchargers for the great V6 engine which can lead to much drive train damage. When the factory adds such power enhancements, it beefs up the entire drive line for safety. Also notice articles about lowering vehicles and other radical enterprises. As far as cold air intakes go, it is interesting that the Chrysler factory tuned the exhaust and added cold
air intake to one model of the 300 and only gained a total of eight horsepower, most from the exhaust system changes. When I looked through the many pages of problems encountered by 300 owners it became clear to me why Consumer Guide gives a thumb down to most Chrysler products for liability. For my part, I intend to trade my low mileage, loaded 300, lousy riding auto for the likes of Toyota. NOTE; Had a 2011 Chrysler 200 V6 loaded with all the goodies that I really liked and made the mistake of trading it for 300's. The whacko auto magazines crucified the older 200 just like they crucified nice fat great riding tire and stylish (no cooky cutter) cars! My 300 is a total black out, inside and out. The big screen is an inducement to hit the ditch should the driver take his eyes off the road for more than a second. PHOOEY!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to the web site you mentioned and the first thing I noticed was a decided affection for weird, oversized wheels with tires with next to non existent sidewalls which are guaranteed to produce the hardest ride possible and a high probability of rim damage if striking stones or other objects in the roadway. 22 inch wheels are totally ridiculous and might look good to extremest, but to me are hideous. Also noticed articles about superchargers for the great V6 engine which can lead to much drive train damage. When the factory adds such power enhancements, it beefs up the entire drive line for safety. Also notice articles about lowering vehicles and other radical enterprises. As far as cold air intakes go, it is interesting that the Chrysler factory tuned the exhaust and added cold
air intake to one model of the 300 and only gained a total of eight horsepower, most from the exhaust system changes. When I looked through the many pages of problems encountered by 300 owners it became clear to me why Consumer Guide gives a thumb down to most Chrysler products for liability. For my part, I intend to trade my low mileage, loaded 300, lousy riding auto for the likes of Toyota. NOTE; Had a 2011 Chrysler 200 V6 loaded with all the goodies that I really liked and made the mistake of trading it for 300's. The whacko auto magazines crucified the older 200 just like they crucified nice fat great riding tire and stylish (no cooky cutter) cars! My 300 is a total black out, inside and out. The big screen is an inducement to hit the ditch should the driver take his eyes off the road for more than a second. PHOOEY!!!!!!!!!!

stiff suspensions are for smooth roads only. Take a corner fast with broken pavement or bad bumps and the stiff, unyielding suspension will guarantee a trip to the junk yard. Should anyone doubt this, watch a video of a Mexican road race and notice the awesomely compliant suspensions with lots of travel required to go around broken up corners without flipping off. Stiff suspensions are strictly kid stuff or meant for tracks with smooth road way. Take a stiff suspension car and try to drive on a washboard road. YOU WON'T GET VERY FAR AND YOU'LL PROBABLY SHAKE YOUR CAR APART!~

·
Registered
2 Posts
stiff suspensions are for smooth roads only. Take a corner fast with broken pavement or bad bumps and the stiff, unyielding suspension will guarantee a trip to the junk yard. Should anyone doubt this, watch a video of a Mexican road race and notice the awesomely compliant suspensions with lots of travel required to go around broken up corners without flipping off. Stiff suspensions are strictly kid stuff or meant for tracks with smooth road way. Take a stiff suspension car and try to drive on a washboard road. YOU WON'T GET VERY FAR AND YOU'LL PROBABLY SHAKE YOUR CAR APART!~
Wow Melvin, I thought it was just my 2013 that had the worst suspension ever, no one else seems to complain about it, speed humps are like driving over logs, I was a surprised being a US town car it's so damn hard! I love the car, but I just have to do something about how it rides, I'm assuming you sold yours long ago, and may not be active on this site, but would love to here how you went. And thank you for your service. James Melbourne Australia

·
Registered
2020 300S 5.7L, Alloy Edition, Black on Black
93 Posts
Wow Melvin, I thought it was just my 2013 that had the worst suspension ever, no one else seems to complain about it, speed humps are like driving over logs, I was a surprised being a US town car it's so damn hard! I love the car, but I just have to do something about how it rides, I'm assuming you sold yours long ago, and may not be active on this site, but would love to here how you went. And thank you for your service. James Melbourne Australia

The FCA cars generally ride quite well from my experience. If your car's suspension is in good working order then the car should ride and handle well, as it was heavily based on the Mercedes E-Class of the 1990s-2000s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The FCA cars generally ride quite well from my experience. If your car's suspension is in good working order then the car should ride and handle well, as it was heavily based on the Mercedes E-Class of the 1990s-2000s.
Thanks Joe, but it was horrible since new, I have now replaced all four corners with some quality units, the difference is amazing, I should have done it years ago, I have driven a few hire cars of the same model and they are all the same, I really don't understand how people can put up with it. perhaps its just the Australian delivered cars??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts