Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of talk about what size TB people should be using. I also see tons of vendors recomend smaller tb's stating that bigger is not always better. Well, I decided it was time to prove them wrong.

About 2 weeks ago, we tested a stock tb that had been ported to 85mm vs a 90mm and a 100mm tb. All three units used the same CAI and we revised the tune each time in order to dial in each tb as best we could.

First up are the pics.

90mm vs 100mm

Stock TB vs 100mm

Dyno Sheet
Red: 85mm
Blue: 90mm
Green: 100mm

Data Chart

As you can see, the 100mm tb was good for 25rwhp/33rwtq over the ported 85mm TB that so many vendors try to push. The 100mm was also worth 12rwhp/12rwtq over the 90mm TB.

Draw your own conclusions, but 100mm is all I will be selling.

Car was an SRT8 Charger with heads/cam/intake/exhaust.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i assume with 100mm though you would need a tune after?
You "should" tune your car for every single modification you perform. You only "need" to tune for big power adders.

An 85mm will work on the stock tune as will the 90mm, the 100mm, longtube headers, CAI, T-Stat, CAI's, Cat-Backs, etc, but you "should" adjust your tune for all of these mods.

Adjusting a tune is something anyone can do, you do not need to buy an email tune everytime you buy something for your car. All you have to do is put the car on a dyno and measure air/fuel. If your car is leaner than 12.2, add some fuel with the predator. If it is richer than 12.2, remove some fuel. I nice acceptable range is 12.0-12.5 which is what I always shoot for keeping it as close to 12.0 as possible near peak tq and as close to 12.5 at peak hp.

Please dont think I am attacking you, I am attacking the vendors for charing $200 to perform 10 seconds worth of work and telling you that it is "needed"

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
You "should" tune your car for every single modification you perform. You only "need" to tune for big power adders.

An 85mm will work on the stock tune as will the 90mm, the 100mm, longtube headers, CAI, T-Stat, CAI's, Cat-Backs, etc, but you "should" adjust your tune for all of these mods.

Adjusting a tune is something anyone can do, you do not need to buy an email tune everytime you buy something for your car. All you have to do is put the car on a dyno and measure air/fuel. If your car is leaner than 12.2, add some fuel with the predator. If it is richer than 12.2, remove some fuel. I nice acceptable range is 12.0-12.5 which is what I always shoot for keeping it as close to 12.0 as possible near peak tq and as close to 12.5 at peak hp.

Please dont think I am attacking you, I am attacking the vendors for charing $200 to perform 10 seconds worth of work and telling you that it is "needed"
hey i dont think that by anymeans.... its good to know these things and we should adjust tunes ourselves..it actually doesnt apply to me i follow threads for the 5.7l and 6.1 but i have a 3.5l, which is why i ask about you carrying any stuff for us...I have predator but eventually would love to add some nice performance mods such as a cam, or nice TB. Hence why i am wondering if this is something that you plan to take an interest in???

also why i am at it its my understanding some of the bigger TB's such as 90mm and 100mm would require a special CAI to fit. I know arrington offers a 90mm is there something for the 100mm?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is really interesting. i am no expert but, 100mm TB over the OEM one how much is it when you just test a stock car with that

stock 85mm
stock 100mm

would like to see how that works out
Not sure on that one. Most claim 5rwhp going from stock to 85mm.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey i dont think that by anymeans.... its good to know these things and we should adjust tunes ourselves..it actually doesnt apply to me i follow threads for the 5.7l and 6.1 but i have a 3.5l, which is why i ask about you carrying any stuff for us...I have predator but eventually would love to add some nice performance mods such as a cam, or nice TB. Hence why i am wondering if this is something that you plan to take an interest in???

also why i am at it its my understanding some of the bigger TB's such as 90mm and 100mm would require a special CAI to fit. I know arrington offers a 90mm is there something for the 100mm?
All you need to do is change the coupler that adapts the CAI to the TB. We used a standard CAI for the dyno testing.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
those numbers are pretty impressive. even looking at peak to peak numbers there are some nice gains to be had. guess I might look at getting one of these

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
are there any issues with running the 100 mm at idle? Do you loose low end torque compared to a smaller TB?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and how much for this baby??
would be mice if it came with a nitrous port.. oh yeah...
They are $649

are there any issues with running the 100 mm at idle? Do you loose low end torque compared to a smaller TB?
The dyno sheets show low rpm tq with an increase, actually the largest tq gains were in the lower rpm.

Idle was unaffected on my car and on Dans car.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
one more thing when you have a TB that is 100mm.
what about the intake manifold how big is that ? so you need to mod that to ?

to get the 100mm

i mean i dont wound to pick holes in things just try to get more info
will these bolt to a stock 5.7 manifold?
This question was never really answered. But it is an extremely importand question if anyone is going to think about buying a 100mm TB. It obviously would be of ZERO benefit for me to put a 100mm throttle body on my car if the intake manifold opening is only 85 or 90mm. Andy....is there a restriction created by the intake manifold upon installation of a 100mm TB on a 5.7 (or any version)??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts