Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have had intermittent tapping since I bought my 2010 300 V6 with 22000KM on it.

It's gotten worse gradually. Now once the car is warm, it taps on and off, regularly. I have had it in at dealers in the past but none could replicate the issue. :smiledown:

I finally had enough and took it in again to a different dealership. They tried the "cannot replicate" thing on me again, but I had video and have been going back and forth with the service adviser (glorified secretary if you ask me, no technical background) and the service manager. I'm still waiting to hear from them this morning, so I guess I'll pass the time by creating a thread here to document the issue. :wavey:

I see from searching the net, it's common to have rocker arm/valvetrain issues that create an oil restriction, thus leading to noise.

The car now has 76000KM on it, and I have warranty till 100,000KM. I'm not taking this car back from the dealer until it's fixed. Since I have had the car I have had dealership oil changes every 5000KM and used Mobil 1 Synthetic and hi quality filters.

I also have them looking at the sunroof. I noticed a large water stain in the headliner. From my research I see that this appears to be an ongoing thing with Chrysler vehicles from the past few years.... there may even be a class action suit??? Anyway I will continue to fight the good fight with the lovely Chrysler dealerships in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and update the thread with info.

Glad to be part of a very helpful site.

A couple vids I took,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Y7Y1uyNnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5J_BrFxVCI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update : Just got a call from the Service Advisor at noon today. They can't replicate the issue.... and the service manager is not in today. So I have emailed the General Manager, with my concerns.

If nothing is done, by tomorrow morning I will waste more of my time and head down and explain to their "qualified" technicians how to troubleshoot an intermittent engine issue. :wow:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: Friday morning, car still hasn't been worked on they can't replicate. I tell the service advisor to pull the car outside and warm it up as I'm on my way down to show them.

I get there and see my car parked with hood open behind the service department. As I'm walking to the car the service manager meets me and from 20 feet from the car we can hear the tick going like mad.

Service manager and dispatcher both look like they have seen a ghost. So I ask them why the hell they haven't worked on the car. They don't really have any answers. Then the dispatcher has the gall to say "well it could be the valvetrain varnished up and Chrysler won't cover that!" BULLSHIT. Anyway I explain to them the rocker arm issue that is common to the 3.5 and he admits "Yeah we do alot of those...". So why aren't you working on my car, bro?

As I'm walking away I ask if they have the rocker arm assembly in stock.

They both answer at the same time.
One guy says Yes, the other guy says they are backordered!

:kap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts