Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, new here because I can't find a solution to my problem and am not willing to keep throwing money at it. Title is the problem. It started of out of nowhere when I would turn to the left. It progressively got worse. I had someone else drive so I could listen and talked to a few friends and mechanics and decide then to replace the drivers cv axle and hub assembly. Well that was the first $250 wasted. I drove it to work and back on a big hill and on the way down it got really bad. I could here the noise when going straight sometimes and also when sitting still. So got home took the tire off the driver side and wiggle, pried, beat on everything trying to find something and nothing. So went to jack up the pass side and check it out. Started breaking the lugs loose by kicking the wrench as they were tight. That's when I heard a clunk noise under the car. I had a buddy come kick while I checked it out. It was coming from the transfer case and I thought that might not be a problem, because kicking the wrench and rotating the front slightly might cause that. While I was under there though I spun the driveshaft and could here the grind in the front diff. So I took it to my dealer as I have a lifetime powertrain warranty with them. They looked it over and called me back and said they wanted to replace the pass. lower control arm for $600. I said no thanks, bought one and did it myself in 2 hours. Guess what, noise is still there. It was a little better for the first 5 miles, but now its back to bad. I'll be calling the dealer back tomorrow to see what they say. Their reasoning was that the arm had some play and was causing the axle to bind something in the diff. Also while the noise is happening if I hit a bump I will here a clunk. It does not affect driving at all though, brakes, handling, acceleration, deceleration all fine. oh btw I live in the nc mtns so I do a lot of turning

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and I've read about the Tsb with parking shudder, but I don't believe it is that as it will make the noise now when I'm not even moving and it sounds worse at higher speeds. It also kind of sound like its in tune (?) with the engine. Like if I accelerate hard in a curve the noise changes when it downshifts and changes with the rpms

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, new here because I can't find a solution to my problem and am not willing to keep throwing money at it. Title is the problem. It started of out of nowhere when I would turn to the left. It progressively got worse. I had someone else drive so I could listen and talked to a few friends and mechanics and decide then to replace the drivers cv axle and hub assembly. Well that was the first $250 wasted. I drove it to work and back on a big hill and on the way down it got really bad. I could here the noise when going straight sometimes and also when sitting still. So got home took the tire off the driver side and wiggle, pried, beat on everything trying to find something and nothing. So went to jack up the pass side and check it out. Started breaking the lugs loose by kicking the wrench as they were tight. That's when I heard a clunk noise under the car. I had a buddy come kick while I checked it out. It was coming from the transfer case and I thought that might not be a problem, because kicking the wrench and rotating the front slightly might cause that. While I was under there though I spun the driveshaft and could here the grind in the front diff. So I took it to my dealer as I have a lifetime powertrain warranty with them. They looked it over and called me back and said they wanted to replace the pass. lower control arm for $600. I said no thanks, bought one and did it myself in 2 hours. Guess what, noise is still there. It was a little better for the first 5 miles, but now its back to bad. I'll be calling the dealer back tomorrow to see what they say. Their reasoning was that the arm had some play and was causing the axle to bind something in the diff. Also while the noise is happening if I hit a bump I will here a clunk. It does not affect driving at all though, brakes, handling, acceleration, deceleration all fine. oh btw I live in the nc mtns so I do a lot of turning

1 - 5 of 5 Posts