Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2005 chrysler 300 V6 3.5L with an aftermarket alpine radio + a 500watt amplifier for my subwoofer.

When I start my car, pulldown the windows or use any electrical device, all the lights of the car starts flickering.

Also, After like 10 mins of driving, my battery alert sign turns on in my dashboard. I've turned down the "gain" on my amplifier which resolved the problem.

I've tried to unplug my audio system to see if it was the problem but my lights are still flickering. I also have a brand new aftermarket battery so this shouldn't be the problem.
Im guessing on an alternator problem. It appears to be charging @ 13.8V. Is it too low ?
I previously had a honda accord and i had no problem running a 800watt audio system with stock alternator and now i can barely run 350-400 watts.

Any idea ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Usually , when the base goes Boom your battery is use to output a spike of power, then the alternator recharge, Most of the time, the car battery is not design for that. So Light Flicker when the base is used. To prevent that people install capacitor, The capacitor will store extra energy to help the battery give your amp the power it need.

You probably need a new or bigger battery, and I would look in to capacitor to help your system. You may need to have a bigger alternator so that it can recharge both battery and capacitor fast enough and aliment your car in power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks! Do you know if 500 microfarad would ve enough for a 500watts system or i should go for a 1 or 2 farad ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I will not say I'm an expert in car audio, and capacitor, I recommend checking a car audio forum maybe, or the audio section In here.

Usually the bigger farad, means your capacitor store more energy, But there's also the speed at witch it can recharge and discharge you have to consider. If the capacitor can't recharge and discharge fast enough, you will have the same problem but less visible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same problem in my 05 300. New alternator and alternator belt. New battery, new ground, lights still flicker and did before I had a system installed. Then, the lights got worse after the new alternator and the battery light comes on and my amp comes in and out when turned up real loud. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
471 Posts
There are a bunch of things that can make HID flicker. Could be the power regulator is not doing the job, is to weak, or is picking up a signal and can't filter it out. It could be the light bulb design. Before you go crazy and trow money at the radio check "HID fliker " on youtube. Has for the light dimming when the base is working, that will require you to give the system a power boost ussualy done by adding a capacitor to help your battery.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The battery light indicate that the system is not recharging correctly, Usually it is the Alternator fault. It could be bad connection to the ground or the alternator wires. Also the light can come on if the car lost power or had low power in the battery for a while. That happend to me after I had some body work done on my car. They probably had the light turn on for a while and my old battery got very low. When I left the shop the battery light came on, on the road. I clear the codes after a day and check the battery power was fine. And it never came back.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If this work was done by a mechanic I suggest you return to that mechanic and have him look at it again. One of the new part could be defective, possible if the alternator was rebuild that it's not working properly. If the mechanic warranty is off then you can google for how to test alternators. There are many guides you can follow and can help you find the trouble. The battery ground is not the only ground in the car. I would go around the car and inspect all the grounds. This will not solve your flickering problem however. Still assuming you have HID light I personally never seen HID go down in intensity. Normal light bulb will over time lose incandescence, and it might just be that you remember them being brighter.

Back on the flickering issue, you can google for something like this,
there is also a few DIY guide and some youtube video to solve that problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts