Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cross the line it feels like it could be a little faster. specifically other cars seem to have better 0 to 30 and event March 4th off the line. I'm trying to just increase it slightly

even the minivan I used to have a 3.3 l v6 250 horsepower engine did 0 30 better. And it also had 5 speed..

what are some easy or cheap mods that can just do that? I've heard of tuning it but those shooters are like $400 and it's not worth a $400 mod. is Elsa changing out the differential but I'm worried that it would both hurt the gas mileage as well as feel worse because it would increase the RPMs too fast and overall have taller gears on every level..

for example I have the p71 crown Vic for a while and compared to the civilian one it was faster but it was shorter torque band

but I'm open to any suggestions from people that maybe have tried things..

or if you know where to get a cheap tuner that would also be good. I don't want to pay the same for the tuner that I would for changing at the differential..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Depending on the year, your P71 would have had a 3.27 or 3.55 rear, compared with 2.73 for the civilian version, plus the P71 ECU was slightly tweaked, and most civilian CVs had very restrictive single exhausts, while the P71s usually had true duals with no resonators. So yeah, the P71 was a lot better out of the hole.

I swapped out the 2.73s for 3.55s in my Grand Marquis, popped in a P71 ECU, and upgraded to dual exhaust. Woke that beast right up.

But that was an old school cast-iron V8 with only 50 HP per liter. It's a lot tougher to wring out more power from an Iaccoca-era 3.5 that's already at 70 HP per liter. Pick up a used tuner...you should be able to find one for no more than $150...step up to dual exhaust from an R/T, and you'll have done pretty much all you can do with the 3.5.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on the year, your P71 would have had a 3.27 or 3.55 rear, compared with 2.73 for the civilian version, plus the P71 ECU was slightly tweaked, and most civilian CVs had very restrictive single exhausts, while the P71s usually had true duals with no resonators. So yeah, the P71 was a lot better out of the hole.

I swapped out the 2.73s for 3.55s in my Grand Marquis, popped in a P71 ECU, and upgraded to dual exhaust. Woke that beast right up.

But that was an old school cast-iron V8 with only 50 HP per liter. It's a lot tougher to wring out more power from an Iaccoca-era 3.5 that's already at 70 HP per liter. Pick up a used tuner...you should be able to find one for no more than $150...step up to dual exhaust from an R/T, and you'll have done pretty much all you can do with the 3.5.
where can I find a used tuner? I looked on Amazon and eBay and I can't find anything

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's not that easy. Most modern tuners only support 11-up cars. Others only support V-8s. If you're on a budget, your best bet is to search for Dodge/Chrysler tuners, see what's out there, and check the manufacturer's website for compatibility with your 300.

One unit you'll probably run into is the Hypertech 52501. I hate to recommend them because as a company, they suck. But that's one tuner that is marketed as working with the first-gen V-6, and there's one on that big auction website right now for $170.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not that easy. Most modern tuners only support 11-up cars. Others only support V-8s. If you're on a budget, your best bet is to search for Dodge/Chrysler tuners, see what's out there, and check the manufacturer's website for compatibility with your 300.

One unit you'll probably run into is the Hypertech 52501. I hate to recommend them because as a company, they suck. But that's one tuner that is marketed as working with the first-gen V-6, and there's one on that big auction website right now for $170.
that part number says it's for the Dodge ram

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really? You went to Hypertech's website, put in your year, make, model and engine size, and it does not say that the Max Energy 52501 supports the Chrysler 300 3.5?
nvm it does

is that better than the predator?

it seems way more expensive

·
Registered
128 Posts
is that better than the Predator?
No, it isn't. If you can find an unlocked Predator that's compatible with your car...the U7136, for example...at a price you think is fair, go ahead and buy it.

Just be sure you check with Diablosport first to make sure it's still supported, because it was discontinued years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, it isn't. If you can find an unlocked Predator that's compatible with your car...the U7136, for example...at a price you think is fair, go ahead and buy it.

Just be sure you check with Diablosport first to make sure it's still supported, because it was discontinued years ago.
if it was discontinued why would that effect it? if it was already made it should work right?

·
Registered
128 Posts
if it was discontinued why would that effect it? if it was already made it should work right?
This. This is the reason why the fact that it's been discontinued may affect whether or not it works.

That is a Hypertech Power Programmer III. I bought one from Summit Racing in 2015, when I bought my 2005 300C and began restoring it.

As it happens, life intervened and it took a lot longer to finish that project than I thought. In 2018, I finally opened the box, took out the tuner, and connected it to my 300C. It showed two error messages, first; "CALIBRATION NOT FOUND", followed by "PLEASE CALL". I thought, "Huh, that's weird, says right on the box that it supports the 2005 Chrysler 300C 5.7."

This was Hypertech's official response, "The unit was created more than 8 years ago and had a limited amount of Dodge & Chrysler information stored. The unit you have does not have the current dealer calibration to program your vehicle and cannot be reprogrammed with later calibrations. You will need part number 52501 for your vehicle application." In other words, "The tuner you bought is now a paperweight." And of course, Summit Racing said, "Well, you bought it three years ago. Not our problem."

And I bought that tuner brand new in a factory sealed package. So I don't think you'd be in a better position with one you bought secondhand.

Just make sure that before you buy a used tuner, do your due dilligence to make sure that it's unlocked to be used on another vehicle, and that the manufacturer still offers updates as needed so that it will work on your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts