Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a question about the number and location of the actuators. Backstory: my 2014 300 will not close the defrost vent. Everything else works as it should blowing air whether cold or hot from the selected vent and dual zones working. This winter it added a new symptom. To change the temp of the air i had to turn recirculation on. Ive dealt with the defrost not closing by putting pleather over the vent to prevent condensation build up. Im in florida and rarely need defrost and if i do i just pull the fabric off. Anyways back to my issue. I ordered 3 actuators because thats the number i read on several different discussions. I only found 2: the drivers side right and passenger side left behind the glove box. Am i missing one? I changed the 2 out which corrected my temp changing issue but didnt close the defrost. Also, do i have to get it recalibrated by the dealer or is there another way to do this on my own. Im an aircraft mechanic with plenty of experience working on cars, just not always these modern computerized ones. Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only way I know of to perform an active blend door actuator recalibration on an LD car is with WiTech or a similar dealer-level scantool. You might be able to do it with an advanced consumer-level scantool like AlfaOBD. I have it and it does have an option called, "Actuator Calibration Test", but I've never tried it.

Before I attempted any active calibration, I'd try disconnecting the battery for five minutes or so. After reconnecting, turn your climate control and fan to "OFF", then "AUTO". That should perform a self-calibration.

So far as I know, if your car has dual zone climate control, you should have four blend doors and actuators. One each for the passenger and driver's side, one for floor/vent/defrost, and another for recirculation. This video will give you a decent idea of where to look for the two on the driver's side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, i did not change the most forward one nearest to the firewall on the driver side. I guess ill throw the third one there and hope it fixes the defrost door. Thx!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant thank you enough fir that video. Funnt thing is i watched part of it a year ago but stopped assuming he was changing the forward one which i already knew existed. Its funny that i never noticed it 6" behind some heatet core hard line. Pleased to report it is now fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For future reference. The defrost blend door actuator is on the drivers side dash, on the right hand side against the radio compartment, nearest to the firewall, and behind a few heater core hard lines. Let the vehicle sit for a few hours before attempting to change this actuator as those lines will be hot. Also, right next to this is a little linkage clip for the blend doors that pops off its ball socket very easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts