Car not reaching operating temp

Discussion in 'Chrysler 300 General Discussion' started by Ccornwell, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Ccornwell

Ccornwell New Member

Vehicle:
    300 Limited
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2005
    Trim?:
    Limited
    Color?:
    Midnight Blue
    So as the title suggests, recently I've been having a problem where my car will not reach operating temperature. The car is a 05 300 limited with nothing done to it and has been well taken care of. I bought the car probably 6 months ago and the thermostat worked fine when I got the car. After about two weeks of it being cold outside it stopped working and got stuck open. I pulled the old thermostat out and a pice of the gasket had gotten stuck in there as I have read is common so I replaced the thermostat and gasket and the car worked great for about two days then the thermostat is stuck wide open again. Driving the car I'm only seeing temps at the highest of 110°f. A few days ago I went through and changed the thermostat again putting in a different brand this time also changing the gasket along with it. After changing it I went out and again the highest the car will get for temperature is around 110°f. I assumed that since it hasn't worked with either new thermostat that I must have installed it backwards so today I went pulled the thermostat again and put it in the opposite way. Just took the car for a test drive thought and I'm still seeing the same temps. At this point I'm out of ideas as to what it could be and any help is appreciated.

2. jkelly16

jkelly16 Aww Peg! Administrator Moderator

Vehicle:
    Challenger
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2009
    Color?:
    Custom
    Don't have a clue but if you dig back into it I would check the thermostat for operation by putting it in a pot of water and heating it to right at boiling to see what it does. Even better if you have a thermometer to watch the temps as it heats up. Could be (although far fetched) you got a batch that's opening way too early.

3. dhoolwerf

dhoolwerf Member

Albums:
    Vehicle:
    SRT Design
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2007
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Maybe just a faulty coolant temp sensor.

Paradox likes this.
  4. CTselios06

CTselios06 New Member

Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    AWD 300C
    Color?:
    Satin Jade
    I'm thinking a temp sensor. If you have heat your thermostat is working