Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car hasbeen making a clunking noise for the last 8 months I replaces struts strut mounts sway bar links my tie rods ball joints and control arms are good could it be the cv joints

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does it feel like a metal clunking noise over small bumps, specially cracks on the road?
If the answer is YES, then you have to replace the tension struts. You will take those out and you will look at them and say they are absolutely in new condition. but once replaced the noise will be gone.

I just did it.
Take a look at the pic which one is tension strut
On the right where metal on metal is kind of pressed under a lot of force is loose and where the noise comes from.

Let me know.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i also had a clunk, replaced the sway bar bushings and it went away. might work for you too, cost me only $12 and about 20 mins to replace

L

·
0 Posts
tension strut question

I also have a clunking sound coming from the front end. It feels and sounds like it is coming from the steering area......does this fit with the tension strut issue you had? Thanks!

Does it feel like a metal clunking noise over small bumps, specially cracks on the road?
If the answer is YES, then you have to replace the tension struts. You will take those out and you will look at them and say they are absolutely in new condition. but once replaced the noise will be gone.

I just did it.
Take a look at the pic which one is tension strut
On the right where metal on metal is kind of pressed under a lot of force is loose and where the noise comes from.

Let me know.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Let me try to describe this sound caused by the tension struts.
On higher speeds and bigger bumps it doesn't feel that much.

Driving slower and over small cracks on the road or bumps you feel metal on metal sound and it sounds bad like you are going to loose the front end.

Best way to check:
If you know where it will make the noise and before the bump apply the brakes. If you don't hear the noise meaning there is the force from the breaking holding it tight you are pretty much sure it's the tension struts.

Best thing to do is remove the wheel and start moving the sway bar end links up and down. THere shouldn't be any movement on any components there. If all feels SOLID move to the tension struts, which are around 100 bucks each (could be cheaper).

Mechanics rule (at least good mechanic) is to go with the cheapest parts first.
So up to you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I had the tension struts replaced too I'll double check if not I'll look at that I'll get the new bushings see if that works. Do you guys now if the cv joints could be the problem. Cuz I have had three different mechanics look at it and everything is tight and looks ok

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think I have the same thing but only hear it when Driving slow and over small cracks on the road or bumps it sounds like metal on metal on the left side

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've gone the road of going the cheap parts first.
If those parts look good and tight skip them and go with the tension struts.
There are not too hard to take them out. When I took mine out they look solid like a rock and new but replacing them fixes the clunking noise. and the noise is not something I could live with, it was absolutely annoying and felt like the front will come off. Now is like a bullet, :)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have the same problem. And after months of trying to find it and reading everybodys experiences, I've come to think it can be one of many things causing this. Seems to be three things that stand out. They are listed in order of cost.

1.) Swaybar frame bushings.
2.) swaybar end links.
3.) Tenson Struts

Suggestion: Dosconnect the swaybar end links and tie your swaybar up with a wire. Drive the car for a day or two like this. If the sound has gone away it may be swaybar related. If it's still there, the tension strut is what I would look at.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I had the same thing going on and the dealership replaced the tension struts, which by the way are on national back order, last Tuesday. So far so good, no more clunking. (knocking on wood)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also have a similar problem on my front right end. Only when going slow and over bumps do I hear it. It sounds like literally bowling pins dropping lol. Any Idea what it might be? Only happens when going slow, if I have a little speed going nothing happens. :smileup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does somebody have a better picture of how the tension strut works with the hub assembly? I thought this was part of the lower control arm and not a separate part? It looks from the picture like it keeps the entire steering knuckle from moving front-back on the car.

I have a random pull on grooved roads, and it is MUCH worse if I am braking at the same time (it will pull the wheel out of my hands sometimes and makes it very difficult to stay in one lane when braking on really bad roads).

·
Registered
1 Posts
i also had a clunk, replaced the sway bar bushings and it went away. might work for you too, cost me only $12 and about 20 mins to replace

Had to sign up just to say thanks. Had a real bad clunking noise in the front end. Didn't take it in for the longest because I figured it would be a major repair. I finally took it in last week and the mechanic said everything in the front end end was fine but he too heard the noise. I told him about the sway bar bushings and he said they looked fine. I told him to replace them anyway and now the noise is gone. He did admit after looking closer that they did need to be replaced. Whole job cost me $75. I enjoy driving my car again. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Had to sign up just to say thanks. Had a real bad clunking noise in the front end. Didn't take it in for the longest because I figured it would be a major repair. I finally took it in last week and the mechanic said everything in the front end end was fine but he too heard the noise. I told him about the sway bar bushings and he said they looked fine. I told him to replace them anyway and now the noise is gone. He did admit after looking closer that they did need to be replaced. Whole job cost me $75. I enjoy driving my car again. Thanks a million.
no problem, im glad the bushings worked out for you. you should stick around, the Z has lots of info that could help out in the future

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If the niose "Re-appears" or someone else has this problem and comes apon this thread, I recommend disconnecting the sway bar end links and tieing the sway bar up with a wire. Then drive it. If the clunking is gone then it is accociated to the sway bar (Bushings or end links)... The end links are very difficult to inspect and sat that they are "Good"... And this is an inexpensive way to rule two things out if the clunking continues...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts