Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
DFW LX CLUB Member
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious but does anyone know the correct/compatible antifreeze/coolant to use in our cars?

from my knowledge the universal stuff like dexcool from walmart is not compatible with our cars....

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
Good question.. If it were my car id use the stuff from Mopar.. cant go wrong with that. the book should say though what to use..
when i worked at jiffy lube it didnt matter what car came in. we always put the same coolant in there when we flushed it.. as long as your not mixing the stuff together... thats where you run into problems....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I bought some stuff from autozone a couple weeks ago. Its made by Prestone. Its a brand new formula thats advertised to blend with any color or brand with no issues. They say it can be used in any car out there, GM/Chrysler/Ford...all of them. Here is the link to it if you want to check it out. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Prestone-Antifreeze-and-coolant/_/N-25ha?itemIdentifier=525501&_requestid=3854290 I trusted them at face value and I see no reason not to believe its safe for my car. They are one of the leading manufacturers of antifreeze/coolant in the world.

Edit: I just clicked on the link. The one I bought was the 50/50 pre-mixed stuff. Same stuff, just premixed already. Advertised for use in any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought some stuff from autozone a couple weeks ago. Its made by Prestone. Its a brand new formula thats advertised to blend with any color or brand with no issues. They say it can be used in any car out there, GM/Chrysler/Ford...all of them. Here is the link to it if you want to check it out. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Prestone-Antifreeze-and-coolant/_/N-25ha?itemIdentifier=525501&_requestid=3854290 I trusted them at face value and I see no reason not to believe its safe for my car. They are one of the leading manufacturers of antifreeze/coolant in the world.

Edit: I just clicked on the link. The one I bought was the 50/50 pre-mixed stuff. Same stuff, just premixed already. Advertised for use in any vehicle.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Prestone-50-50-extended-life-antifreeze-and-coolant/_/N-25ha?itemIdentifier=391379&_requestid=3902191

I agree with Tim, I used the exact stuff last week. I suggest you buy 2 bottle as it takes about 5 liters to refill.

I didn't go too indepth, didn't do a flush and doubt every drop came.

Here's my method.

1. Let engine cool down.
2. Get bucket under car by radiator drain.
3. Open drain valve (bottom left of radiator as you look at it, might need pliers)
4. Open reservoir cap to assist with drain (gravity)
5. Grab a beer
6. grab another beer
7. if finished draining, cup hands around reservoir filler and BLOW!! (gets last few dregs out)
8. Shut radiator drain
9. Refill radiator SLOWLY to fill line and replace cap.
10. Watch air bubbles escaping
11. after roughly 5 litres, no more air bubbles and to the FULL COLD line start your car.
12. Monitor until fan kicks in and does its job (doesn't overheat)
13. turn car off and let sit for 30 mins, check level again and see if still close to FILL LINE.

Thats pretty much it Oscar, I hope this helps, pretty easy job. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Prestone-50-50-extended-life-antifreeze-and-coolant/_/N-25ha?itemIdentifier=391379&_requestid=3902191

I agree with Tim, I used the exact stuff last week. I suggest you buy 2 bottle as it takes about 5 liters to refill.

Here's my method.

1. Let engine cool down.
3. Open drain valve (bottom left of radiator as you look at it, might need pliers)
5. Grab a beer
6. grab another beer
7. if finished draining, cup hands around reservoir filler and BLOW!! (gets last few dregs out)
8. Shut radiator drain
11. after roughly 5 litres, no more air bubbles and to the FULL COLD line start your car.
13. turn car off and let sit for 30 mins, check level again and see if still close to FILL LINE.

I only see one problem with this technique. You are missing step 12a - "grab yet another beer" should be in there somewhere. What are you going to do for entertainment :4-dontknow: while you are waiting the 30 minutes in step 13 man....come on...get with the program!! :D

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I read (on lx forum)that for our car it needs to be/have HOAT coolant and no on the dexcool .

·
DFW LX CLUB Member
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guys! as for changing it out myself...i have someone who will only charge me about $10 to drain it all out and refill as long as i provide my own coolant of course cause i dont trust myself draining out coolant from my car lol :shy:

and also dont forget that i still have one more year to go before i can "legally" drink lol :rolleyes:

as for the type of coolant...im a bit lost now by what john said, am i able to use that prestone coolant or not because technically its still from dexcool....? :4-dontknow:

the reason why i want to drain and refill is because a few months ago i had a very minor coolant leak which some of you might remember that i posted about and had one of the lower hoses replaced and the leaking stopped but only for a couple weeks and i used the dexcool stuff at the time and my only temporary solution was to refill with water every few days since it would loose coolant to the point where i had to keep an eye on it and i have looked every where to see where the leak was coming from and had other mechanics look for the leak as well but we could never find anything and the only possible solution was to change out the thermostat itself but i know its a real pita to change out on the 3.5l so i never attempted it.

well a couple weeks ago the leaking finally stopped on its own but im assuming that at this point it is only filled with water and that all the actual antifreeze has already been leaked out so basically my car is only running on water right now without any sort of antifreeze which i know is bad but im just not in any position right now to waste money on jugs of coolant if i know its just going to be on my garage floor the next morning you know but im wondering if the reason it leaked the coolant and not the water was because i used that dexcool jug from prestone that at the time i had no idea it was not compatible with our cars and now i want to drain the water out and refill with actual antifreeze to see if the leaking was caused by the incorrect coolant or if i still have some sort of leaking issue some where but i cant check for leaks if it isnt leaking water lol :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I only see one problem with this technique. You are missing step 12a - "grab yet another beer" should be in there somewhere. What are you going to do for entertainment :4-dontknow: while you are waiting the 30 minutes in step 13 man....come on...get with the program!! :D
LOL! Thanks Tim........ got to make sure I'm still able to drive! ;)

the reason why i want to drain and refill is because a few months ago i had a very minor coolant leak which some of you might remember that i posted about and had one of the lower hoses replaced and the leaking stopped but only for a couple weeks and i used the dexcool stuff at the time and my only temporary solution was to refill with water every few days since it would loose coolant to the point where i had to keep an eye on it and i have looked every where to see where the leak was coming from and had other mechanics look for the leak as well but we could never find anything and the only possible solution was to change out the thermostat itself but i know its a real pita to change out on the 3.5l so i never attempted it.

well a couple weeks ago the leaking finally stopped on its own but im assuming that at this point it is only filled with water and that all the actual antifreeze has already been leaked out so basically my car is only running on water right now without any sort of antifreeze which i know is bad but im just not in any position right now to waste money on jugs of coolant if i know its just going to be on my garage floor the next morning you know but im wondering if the reason it leaked the coolant and not the water was because i used that dexcool jug from prestone that at the time i had no idea it was not compatible with our cars and now i want to drain the water out and refill with actual antifreeze to see if the leaking was caused by the incorrect coolant or if i still have some sort of leaking issue some where but i cant check for leaks if it isnt leaking water lol :4-dontknow:
http://www.prestone.com/products/print/430?popup=1

Will also work and give you piece of mind :smileup:

·
DFW LX CLUB Member
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
oo ill have to give that a try as well and hope that also does the trick but as for the coolant type, thumbs up on the prestone 50/50? (yellow jug)
Yup, says on the jug that its good for ALL vehicles so its what I used (you will need just over 2)

If my radiator starts to "melt" then I guess Prestone will have a law-suit on their hands for false advertising!!

Rob

·
DFW LX CLUB Member
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, says on the jug that its good for ALL vehicles so its what I used (you will need just over 2)

If my radiator starts to "melt" then I guess Prestone will have a law-suit on their hands for false advertising!!

Rob

hmm you think two jugs and then just add water to what ever is left will be fine then? no point of buying 3 jugs...

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
damn , that is cheap to have someone drain/refill your coolant. yeah I know you can do it yourself but 10 bucks :) I guess long as it says it's ok for chrysler model then it's good but don't know the answer 100%.

sorry for hijacking but anyone know if you get the coolant from the dealer(25 for gallon) do you just use that alone or can you add water to it?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hmm you think two jugs and then just add water to what ever is left will be fine then? no point of buying 3 jugs...
No, just buy the 2 jugs of the Prestone 50/50 premixed (saves on measuring the concentrated one out and I'm lazy!) I think you need about 6 liters.

Before opening the 50/50 jug, give it a quick shake then pour it in neat (once radiator drain is shut) DO NOT ADD WATER. The 50/50 has been premixed to determine the temperatures needed to operate in cold weathers etc. Adding water changes the parameters of the coolant, EG. If it is good premixed to withstand freezing to -40 degrees then by adding water will reduce it to alot less.

:smileup:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
damn , that is cheap to have someone drain/refill your coolant. yeah I know you can do it yourself but 10 bucks :) I guess long as it says it's ok for chrysler model then it's good but don't know the answer 100%.

sorry for hijacking but anyone know if you get the coolant from the dealer(25 for gallon) do you just use that alone or can you add water to it?
I got mine from Canadian Tire on special for $19 for 2 jugs.

I think Walmart stocks Prestone too, it wont be anymore than $15.

·
DFW LX CLUB Member
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

haha yup i would rather spend those $10 plus gas to have someone who actually knows what they are doing rather than try doing it myself lol

dont worry about the hijacking man its all good with me :)

No, just buy the 2 jugs of the Prestone 50/50 premixed (saves on measuring the concentrated one out and I'm lazy!) I think you need about 6 liters.

Before opening the 50/50 jug, give it a quick shake then pour it in neat (once radiator drain is shut) DO NOT ADD WATER. The 50/50 has been premixed to determine the temperatures needed to operate in cold weathers etc. Adding water changes the parameters of the coolant, EG. If it is good premixed to withstand freezing to -40 degrees then by adding water will reduce it to alot less.

:smileup:

thanks for the info! :smileup:

·
DFW LX CLUB Member
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Here's my method.

1. Let engine cool down.
5. Grab a beer
6. grab another beer
8. Shut radiator drain

ok so i decided that i am going to tackle this myself and i already went ahead and bought 2 jugs of the prestone 50/50 along with the prestone stop leak and the prestone flush bottle and letting the car cool down right now but i was looking and cant seem to point out the drain valve....? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
ok so i decided that i am going to tackle this myself and i already went ahead and bought 2 jugs of the prestone 50/50 along with the prestone stop leak and the prestone flush bottle and letting the car cool down right now but i was looking and cant seem to point out the drain valve....? :4-dontknow:
Open the hood so you are facing the engine, reach down between all the pipes and you will feel a plastic tab (could be metal LOL) to the BOTTOM LEFT of the radiator. Its about an inch across and doesn't look much like a valve. You can see the thing with torchlight too. When you have located it use a set of pliers and turn 45 degrees to open it. You should get a few drips until you open the reservoir fluid cap then you will get a steady flow.

I think I done mine just in time, we had a good snow fall last night.......... don't give up on doing it yourself. I hope this helps.

DAMN, just noticed you posted this 3 days ago, I hope I'm not too late!

·
DFW LX CLUB Member
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Open the hood so you are facing the engine, reach down between all the pipes and you will feel a plastic tab (could be metal LOL) to the BOTTOM LEFT of the radiator. Its about an inch across and doesn't look much like a valve. You can see the thing with torchlight too. When you have located it use a set of pliers and turn 45 degrees to open it. You should get a few drips until you open the reservoir fluid cap then you will get a steady flow.

I think I done mine just in time, we had a good snow fall last night.......... don't give up on doing it yourself. I hope this helps.

DAMN, just noticed you posted this 3 days ago, I hope I'm not too late!

dont worry i never went through with it but i am going to try and tackle this today since i have the day off...

so here what i am going to do, i am going to purchase two bottles of zerex gO5 antifreeze since that is compatible HOAT coolant and safe to use on these vehicles.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/AFZ4/GO5.oap?keyword=antifreeze&pt=N0496&ppt=C0059

i am also going to fill it with water to make it 50/50 since the zerex is not pre-diluted but i have a question regarding the mixing of water. should i first fill with one bottle of antifreeze and then fill with water and if so how much water should i use? then after that repeat process till at the max fill line right?

also i keep reading on lxf that i need to bleed the system? :4-dontknow:

oh and do you think it is safe to use that prestone stop leak bottle in combination with zerex antifreeze? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
As per the manual:

MoparAntifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) or the equivalent ethylene glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended.

CAUTION: Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified non-HOAT or other HOAT coolant, may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion protection.

50/50 Ethylene-Glycol and Distilled Water -
Is the recommended mixture, it provides protection against freezing to -37°C (-34°F). The antifreeze concentration must always be a minimum of 44 percent, year-round in all climates. If percentage is lower, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation. Maximum protection against freezing is provided with a 68 percent antifreeze concentration, which prevents freezing down to -67.7°C (-90°F). A higher percentage
will freeze at a warmer temperature. Also, a higher percentage of antifreeze can cause the engine to overheat because specific heat of antifreeze is lower than that of water.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts