De-Rattlle-Squeak effort

Discussion in 'Chrysler 300 General Discussion' started by trs300, Mar 29, 2010.

1. trs300

trs300 Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    2005 300C
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2005
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    You win the prize Tommy LOL... I knew somebody was going to say this (or something like it)

Guys, let me be clear. I'm not saying the 300 is POS or anything like that. And as far as the CTS owners having more gripes, maybe that's because they bought that car for the claims of quiet ride and are not happy. I've said this before. It's personal thing... I just know I've been in more "Solid" sounding cars.

All I am trying to do is quiet things down and improve on my ride that's all. And yes, I'm fitted on 22's with crappy cheap tires... I'm not looking to have a mattress floating down the road believe me. What I'm after is that when I roll over railroad tracks or bunches of road dimples, that my whole car does not sound like a box of loose parts or a drum... Much of the sound I hear is resonation, not rattles... And resonation is by build, not age or miles.

Our cars do have some cheep material also that does not help things... The center console is a great example of a hard plastic cheep part. And it cannot help but make noise. The materials will resonate sound. Even the leater seats in my 300C make things worse by reflecting noise in and around the cabin. This is another example of how the SRT seats are a huge improvement over the 300C seats. People don't think of them in terms of the fact that they absorb sound in the suede.

Sound control is a science that involves controlling sound by containment (blocking), reducing the generation (dampening), and the removal (absorbsion), of sound.

I'm going to open up my car and look around before deciding what sound control materials I will be investing in... Just last night I opened the passenger door to see how the seat was held in and for the fun of it I balled my fist and lighly pounded on the passenger floor pan. ALL SORTS OF FLIPPING NOISE THERE!!! No joke! An ugly noise was produced that I was completely unaware of... But for sure, when I hit bumps like those of railroad tracks, that noise + countless others + uncontrolled resonation, all together make for a chorus of unwanted noise...

I'd be curious to hear what others hear if they do the same test when lightly pounding on their passenger side front floor board... Now in this case I understand it could be based on the year. And untill I look I do not know know if it was from build, or something came loose. Curious to what others see in their cars...

---

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. racer114

racer114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 300 C
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    To answer one of the questions, yes, mine is a 2005 model with 56K miles. Like I said, it is not bad for a car of its age. There are other problems that concern me more that the rattles. But, like trs300 said, that is a personal preference. I do hate rattles though. My Mustang has an annoying one in the seat belt area. I'll figure it out though.

trs300 is also correct about the resonation being due to build. I would think a company would pour their heart and soul into the build quality of their flagship. I don't like GM, but the Caddy's are pretty darn nice and seem to have very good buld quality. Same with Lincolns. I'm disappointed that Chrysler doesn't put the same effort into the 300. But, compared to any Dodge I've driven, the 300 is great. I don't see how some of the cheaper Dodges even sell as bad as the build quality is.

3. trs300

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    2005 300C
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2005
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    Just ordered 100 sqft of MLV today. Will be picking up locally next week. The shipping costs really make a big difference as the stuff is over 100 lbs for the roll. I'm doubt I will use it all. we'll see...

I talked with the owner of the business for over 1/2hr. He gave me all sorts of knowledge on what to do and what to skip. Told me about what he has learned in his testing of products and applications... It was very interesting. I've learned a lot already. My whole approach to this has cjhanged in just one weeks time...

I'm surveying the car now and everywhere I look I find noise... It's amazing... My list of things to quiet is growing by the day. And so is my medhods to correct...

It's going to be a lot of work but I'm getting excited.

--

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  4. Tork Monster

Tork Monster Active Member Forum Founder MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Dirty, gas-guzzling 6.1
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    300C SRT8
    Color?:
    Silver Steel
    I had the sunroof rattle fixed by the dealer. My other rattle is somewhere around the rear suspension. I have not been able to find it, even after a year of trying. My latest effort was with a vibrating tool I built specifically for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66D2V8Bd7Ig

Sitting in the car with this thing running was like a giant massage chair. Any rattles in the interior would show up for sure... but my interior has been great so far.

Um.. yeah, I am definitely one of those who can't stand rattles. My last car was a 5-Series BMW and it was solid and silent, right up to the day I sold it at ~98,000 miles.
    The car before that was a C4 Vette... rattle chasing was my second job.

Subscribing...

trs300 likes this.
  5. trs300

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    2005 300C
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2005
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    That is flipping cool TM! :SHOCKED: WOW! What a Great Idea... If you put that on the from do you think it would expose the notorious front end Clunk/Rattle?

What is that thing?

6. racer114

racer114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 300 C
    Trim?:
    300C
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Well, I fixed my rattle problems. I traded for a 2010 300C. It is sweet. Let's hope it stays quiet for a while!

7. Tork Monster

Tork Monster Active Member Forum Founder MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Dirty, gas-guzzling 6.1
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2006
    Trim?:
    300C SRT8
    Color?:
    Silver Steel
    Thanks Tim.

It's called the Super High Intensity Tork Hearing Enabler And Determinator,
    or S.H.I.T.H.E.A.D. for short (after what my dad used to call me) :D

I built it from some parts we make at work and some scrap aluminum & steel. I have full access to our machine shop. We had the variable speed controller and motor in stock.

No doubt this vibration will point out any loose suspension parts, but it currently only mounts when the suspension is unloaded. I designed a spring base so you can set it down and load the suspension, but I don't want to send it out with that because of possible liability. Shaking the hell out of the car when it's up on jackstands is a bit contrary to safety standards :shakehead:

I still think that you could easily see any suspension parts that aren't tight.

8. Dman300c

Dman300c New Member

Vehicle:
    300C
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen2 - 2013
    Trim?:
    AWD 300C
    Color?:
    Mineral Grey
    I just bought a 2013 300C. I had noises that i worked to resolve, if this helps anyone:

1) loose passenger top rear drivers side handle
    2) squeaky console (greased hinge)
    3) squeaky seat between drivers side and console
    (Just not as much room as passenger side)
    4) sunroof when the vent lift seats onto the feet.
    (Dealer lubricated feet)

All seems quiet now.