Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello and please excuse my ignorance on this subject. This is my first post. I wasnt able to find info about my question in the Diablo discussion threads. Ive even tried to contact customer tech service with Diablo but have never heard back. I own a 2014 Chrysler 300S 3.6 v6 with awd and i love it. Would like to start upgrading with performance mods and was thinking of starting with the Diablosport itune3 platinum tuner instead of a cold air intake. When shifting into sport mode the car changes its parameters. If i buy a tuner will it upgrade those sport parameters? Or is the tuner changing parameters only if in regular drive mode? Is the tuner only for vehicles without sport mode? Will it increase my hp? Is this the first correct step for a performance mod, as i dont want to ruin my beautiful car or waste money. Is this the best bang for my buck? Thankyou for anyone willing to give me some advice.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome to the board.

I'm surprised to hear that you didn't have a good customer service experience with Diablo. Not to make excuses for them, but maybe it's a COVID thing. My suggestion would be to join their support forum. I don't know if Mike Litsch is still working for them, but he used to offer some pretty decent advice and support for tuning Mopars.

The inTune i3 is a pretty solid little device. What's interesting about it is that you can purchase additional licenses to tune multiple cars, and they don't even have to be the same make.

But IMHO the most important thing when tuning a 3.6 is to manage your expectations. The Pentastar already puts out 80 HP per liter, more than the 5.7 or even the 6.4. Chrysler just didn't leave a lot of power on the table for you to unlock with a tuner. Tuning a 3.6 is mostly about very modest drivability improvements, not really for adding power.

Speaking of adding power, about the only way to do it is with supercharging. There just aren't much in the way of bolt-ons. No cams or headers. You might be able to add 5-7 HP or so with the right throttle body and a custom tune (not a "canned" tune, the kind that are included with the tuner). And if you have an S, you probably already have the factory true dual exhaust with x-pipe from the 300C parts bin, so no gains to be had with an aftermarket exhaust.

So far as I know, Sport Mode on a 2014 just changes your shift points and firmness. I'm not 100% sure what additional transmission options you'll have with the i3...you should be able to tinker with the shift points, and possibly the firmness as well, but I don't know how much different it would be from what you already have.

About the best use case for a tuner with a Pentastar is for someone who wants to raise their top speed limiter to match high performance tires for a track day or something similar. They're also useful for correcting speedometer errors and for gear swaps. Just don't think you're going to turn a 3.6 into a tire-smokin' wonder. It's a modern engine with very high specific output, a broad, flat torque curve and great durability, but it has its limitations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the board.

I'm surprised to hear that you didn't have a good customer service experience with Diablo. Not to make excuses for them, but maybe it's a COVID thing. My suggestion would be to join their support forum. I don't know if Mike Litsch is still working for them, but he used to offer some pretty decent advice and support for tuning Mopars.

The inTune i3 is a pretty solid little device. What's interesting about it is that you can purchase additional licenses to tune multiple cars, and they don't even have to be the same make.

But IMHO the most important thing when tuning a 3.6 is to manage your expectations. The Pentastar already puts out 80 HP per liter, more than the 5.7 or even the 6.4. Chrysler just didn't leave a lot of power on the table for you to unlock with a tuner. Tuning a 3.6 is mostly about very modest drivability improvements, not really for adding power.

Speaking of adding power, about the only way to do it is with supercharging. There just aren't much in the way of bolt-ons. No cams or headers. You might be able to add 5-7 HP or so with the right throttle body and a custom tune (not a "canned" tune, the kind that are included with the tuner). And if you have an S, you probably already have the factory true dual exhaust with x-pipe from the 300C parts bin, so no gains to be had with an aftermarket exhaust.

So far as I know, Sport Mode on a 2014 just changes your shift points and firmness. I'm not 100% sure what additional transmission options you'll have with the i3...you should be able to tinker with the shift points, and possibly the firmness as well, but I don't know how much different it would be from what you already have.

About the best use case for a tuner with a Pentastar is for someone who wants to raise their top speed limiter to match high performance tires for a track day or something similar. They're also useful for correcting speedometer errors and for gear swaps. Just don't think you're going to turn a 3.6 into a tire-smokin' wonder. It's a modern engine with very high specific output, a broad, flat torque curve and great durability, but it has its limitations.
Hello CtCarl,
Thankyou very much for taking time out of your day for response and for your advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts