Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I've got a 2006 chrysler 300c AWD with 143,000 miles. The best way I can describe the issue is when you go to drive the transmission has a panic attack and cant figure out what it wants to do. If I unplug the abs control module (don't ask why I did this) it goes into limp mode and drives fine just wont shift or rev past 3000rpm. There are no lights on the dash except for a cel and ves message. Obviously when I unplug the module all the lights come on. Codes are as follows: P0501 - vehicle speed sensor 1 Performance
P0138 - o2 sensor 1/2 High
P0137 - o2 sensor 1/2 low
P0157 - o2 sensor 2/2 low
U0121- lost communication with abs module (from being disconnected most likely)
U1120 - lost wheel distance message
U0125 - lost communication with dynamic sensor(stored)

·
Registered
397 Posts
HI, for OBD codes I like this site, have you see this ?

You will probably need an OBD reader that can communicate with ABS sensor and other module in the car. Most of them are 300$ or the new cheap blue tooth ones sometimes can do the job for 100$.

I would take the car to a mechanic for this, they might not charge you to check the codes if they have time and you call before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I did some more digging and those codes were from the abs module being disconnected. There are no codes or lights on. when I step on the throttle the traction control is immediately activated and cuts power and I cant get the car to accelerate. let off the throttle and it feels like the brakes are being released and the car rolls. add throttle again and traction control is activated again. No codes are activated because I cant get the car over 2-3mph.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That sound like a bad ABS control module since it'S kinda working reverse ! When it activate it will prevent the transmission to apply to much power and will use brakes to control the wheel speed. Pull the ABS fuse and see if you can go on the road normally. The car should be able to run normal with no ABS. The other think that I would suspect is that the car think there's trouble in the transmission and is forcing the limp mode on to protect the components. Using the ABS to bypass your control on the car. I think it's worth to have an advance diagnostic machine plug on it to see all the codes from all the car modules and make sure you have no damage in the transmission and transfer case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sound like a bad ABS control module since it'S kinda working reverse ! When it activate it will prevent the transmission to apply to much power and will use brakes to control the wheel speed. Pull the ABS fuse and see if you can go on the road normally. The car should be able to run normal with no ABS. The other think that I would suspect is that the car think there's trouble in the transmission and is forcing the limp mode on to protect the components. Using the ABS to bypass your control on the car. I think it's worth to have an advance diagnostic machine plug on it to see all the codes from all the car modules and make sure you have no damage in the transmission and transfer case.
I can read all modules. No codes anywhere. Again since I cant get it to drive it wont set any codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pulled the abs pump fuse and was able to drive the car. the shifts were really long and dragged out (High rpm) and everything worked otherwise. then car went into limp so I pulled over and the car acted like it was in neutral. turned it off then back on and it drove fine again. 10 seconds later limp mode again. im thinking the tone rings are gone and possibly a conductor plate failure aswell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got the codes read. U1417, and p0520 oil pressure sensor/switch control are the new ones.

·
Registered
397 Posts
U1417 look like it is related to the left wheel sensor or bearing. from what I can find.

My personal experience on the sensor is, do not use cheap ones, Use Mopar, they cost more but they work. Cheaper company for some reason are not detected correctly most of the time and will create more trouble.

P0520 might be a bad sensor or bad pump / missing oil. There is a link for a bulletin also with step to follow for repair .

Bulletin

hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The question is, is it front or rear? The oil pressure is reading 99 psi. Ill just replace the sensor. would either of those throw it into "limp" mode???

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hard to say because has soon there is a problem detected with the transmission it will go in limp mode to protect the gear. Even in the Dealer Bulletin they recommend replacing all the sensor on the transmission. This tell me that they don't have a way to test all the sensor and it is more cost efficient for them to just replace em all. My transmission 3rd and 4th gear broke 6 month after warranty and it cost me 3k to have it rebuild. So if you can trow a few more dollar on it you should to be safe.

The ABS sensor, on my car the back are both connected to the same wire, and connect on the passenger side. So I think it's the front left for you. I also remember that there is a tread somewhere that explain how to test the sensor with a multi meter.

I don't think the ABS would cause limp mode, I have a bad one also for a while and the car run fine.

Oh and here is the article I just found it again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts