Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Fast. Very, very fast.
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a car forum without an oil debate?

The SRT-8 uses 7 quarts of oil when doing an oil change. The original SRT-8's were filled with Moil One 0W40, rated SL.

Subsequently, oil formulations were changed to the newer SM rating. Unfortunately, the newer rating is based on the environment - not on keeping your engine in top condition.

As a result, many of the SRT-8 owners set out to find a better oil. Today, I recommend two different oils:

Mobil One 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck
Royal Purple 5W-40 (new product for them)

Don't let the "diesel" name fool you - it's all marketing. The oil is actually rated for diesel engines, and for heavy duty, high performance gasoline engines....like ours.

I'm always happy to engage debate, so feel free to add questions/comments.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
What's a car forum without an oil debate?

The SRT-8 uses 7 quarts of oil when doing an oil change. The original SRT-8's were filled with Moil One 0W40, rated SL.

Subsequently, oil formulations were changed to the newer SM rating. Unfortunately, the newer rating is based on the environment - not on keeping your engine in top condition.

As a result, many of the SRT-8 owners set out to find a better oil. Today, I recommend two different oils:

Mobil One 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck
Royal Purple 5W-40 (new product for them)

Don't let the "diesel" name fool you - it's all marketing. The oil is actually rated for diesel engines, and for heavy duty, high performance gasoline engines....like ours.

I'm always happy to engage debate, so feel free to add questions/comments.
Great info JMatt!!! I use the Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT. :rep:

·
Registered
111 Posts
you can take what jmatt says to the bank...like he was a oil chemist or something...
hes got 4+ pages of fact's for the asking...ive changed...:rep: X2

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Because of Jmatt's knowledge I have been searching for this oil for some time now....haven't got it yet in my rinky dinky town...but I'm getting closer at my local truck stop.

P

·
0 Posts
What does TD stand for? I know mobil 1 very well but the codes after are a little confusing. Are those codes like TD important?

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Also on board with Jmatt's extensive research, bought the 5 gallon jugs of Mobil One 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck at Wallmart on sale for $20 each. Stocking up as it's inevitable that it will be discontinued eventually.

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Also on board with Jmatt's extensive research, bought the 5 gallon jugs of Mobil One 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck at Wallmart on sale for $20 each. Stocking up as it's inevitable that it will be discontinued eventually.

It's too bad my local wallmart doesn't believe in stocking it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've been using this TD 5w40 too, so far I like it. Seems to be staying a little cleaner, car seems to be as happy or possibly even happier than with the stock 0w40.

Eric

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've been using the factory recommended Mobil1 0w40 and changing it every 3k miles along with a new Bosch filter.
So give me the skinny on why I should use the TD 5w40 and how often I should change it, considering I live in North Florida and jack rabbit from red light to red light.
Thanks

·
Fast. Very, very fast.
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you guys want to be "schooled" on motor oil this is the forum for you... http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0
Been there - done that. Those guys are amazing. Although every place has its nuts, there are tons of people there who follow science, and not just hype. I read up tons there, found links to tons of scientific references, lists of oils tested, etc.

To answer an earlier question: The Castrol 5W40 does not measure up at all against the Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 from Mobil One. I was actually surprised by that, as I thought it would be a good choice.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts