Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! Hope I can get some feedback and much needed advice on this hopefully minor issue. I am a newb and don't have that much mechanical expertise.

Yesterday, I took my recently bought 2005 300C (Thanks for the great car Omega145!!!) to get an oil change at a Chrysler Dealership yesterday. They informed me that the Engine Oil dipstick was not installed properly or was being blocked from entering the oil reservoir. They said that the stick was not going into the oil at all.

They suggested I contact the previous owner first to make sure that it wasn't being blocked intentionally for some reason (some sort of requirement for a mod perhaps). They then handed me the DIPSTICK AND THE PIPE that the dipstick goes through (I have no idea why they removed it, but they said that it wasn't going to make a difference???).

I did notice a little oil puddle on my garage floor this morning. I'm not 100% sure if it's from the 300C (haven't looked at the floor in a while), but it did look like fresh oil. I'm going to give them hell if oil is now spraying around the engine because they removed the pipe.

Do you guys and/or gals know of any reason why the engine oil dipstick would be blocked off? And if they should have removed the pipe and dipstick?

Could it have been a simple case of the pipe just coming loose? The dealership wants $85 just to "diagnose" the problem lol even though it seems pretty simple (put the dang pipe and dipstick back in)...but what do I know? =P

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called the dealer and they said that they didn't remove it...they said that it was just hanging there and they gave it to me so that I wouldn't lose it. Sounds like BS to me. Anybody know how to put the tube back in? Where do I pop it back in? Do I need any bolts?

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Speaking from experience on other engines.

The dipstick tube usually has an epanded area on the end going into the block. This defines how deep the tube seats into the block. The tubes are usually an interference fit. I use a long punch to get on the raised portion and lightly tap the tube into the block. I would also use a sealant on the tube.

The oil pan usually has a channel to direct the dipstick to the deepest part of the pan. That would help to prevent a lot of oil from coming out but some would still escape.

In short it should not be difficult to reinstall the tube.

I don't think very highly of your dealer

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Called the dealer and they said that they didn't remove it...they said that it was just hanging there and they gave it to me so that I wouldn't lose it. Sounds like BS to me. Anybody know how to put the tube back in? Where do I pop it back in? Do I need any bolts?
I believe them... They would have not removed the tube themselves... And, when they say it was "Blocked", I wonder if they mean somebody plugged up the oil fill tube hole with some kind of sealant or something... Otherwise I would have expected them to simply say your tube was dislodged from the engine block for some reason...

Hopefilly you checked to be sure that hole was open and clear before trying to push that tube back in it's hole. Would suck if you pushed some crap back into your crankcase...

--

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil Dipstick knob/Ring broke off today

Took my 300 in for an oil change to "Jiffy-Lube" in Toronto today and they broke the plastic pull ring off the dipstick - broke just above the 'O' ring.. They had just drained it and refilled it but were unable to check the oil level as they couldn't remove the broken dipstick. They said they will remove the broken one and replace it at no charge. They've now ordered one. Apparently this is a common problem and the 'mechanic' himself said he'd broken two on his Ram. My question is: does anyone make an aftermarket one with an aluminum or steel knob/ring... this is absolutely crazy. I'm glad the garage broke it and not me. :i_rolleyes: Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts