Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been searchin for specs on the factory amp in my car. I have the boston setup, not sure what soundgroup. I have 7 speakers, no factory sub. I was wondering what the power ratings are on my amp so I can upgrade my speakers. Would anybody happen to have that info?

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
I was going to upgrade, then decided not to. I'm gunna swap out the speakers and thats that. Wanna spend some money on other mods.
I wonder what would be a better buy

New speakers off the old stock amp
Or
Old speakers running off the new Kicker upgrade amp?
I will be totally honest with you guys. I have the 77kick18ab digital amp only available aftermarket from the dealer. I too had the boston acoustics setup. All in all the best bang for your buck will be swapping the amp. I noticed very little difference in the aftermarket speakers. Much more of a difference going from the boston oem amp to the kicker digital amp. So my .02cents get a better amp and keep your oem speakers, if you see a good deal or one day want to try new speakers than do it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats a good point. I dont know what kind of power the stock speakers can handle. It already seems like I can blow em out with the factory amp. I think I'll upgrade speakers frist, then maybe do the kicker upgrade. Def not going to upgrade HU like I wanted.

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
well the oem speakers are able to handle what the amp throws at them, in fact i ran my boston oem door speakers up until today and still run my oem dash bostons of the digital kicker amp and they do well, and wont blow unless you have a defective speaker, and i have the biggest oem amp you can get. but all in all there isnt an oem amp that puts out more than 46 watts and that is rated at 2 ohms. Most aftermarket speakers are rated at 4 ohms so you will get about 1/2 the power going to the speakers and that is why i say upgrade amp over speakers... the kicker digital will run you about $170 but you can prob get $50 or so for your boston. Trust me here do amp over speakers you wont be sorry...

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
yes sir all plug and play, and since we dont have a vendor selling these here you go:
http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/mopeambyki.html

here is some install insturction took me 20 minutes very easy mod.
http://www.300cforumz.com/showthread.php?t=18672

also not sure what you had in mind for the upgrading of the speakers, but if your looking at the upgraded kicker speakers i am 98% positive the better kicker speakers are the exact same ones people who have the kicker sound package, you can usually get all 6-7 for like $150 or so, however the kicker amp in the kicker sound package is not the same amp as the one above. The one above is better and did not come part of any sound package.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I found all the a/m kicker stuff for a good price. the 3 1/2 and I think i have 6 1/2 in the door, or are they 6x9? I have yet to pull those door panels off yet. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I will be totally honest with you guys. I have the 77kick18ab digital amp only available aftermarket from the dealer. I too had the boston acoustics setup. All in all the best bang for your buck will be swapping the amp. I noticed very little difference in the aftermarket speakers. Much more of a difference going from the boston oem amp to the kicker digital amp. So my .02cents get a better amp and keep your oem speakers, if you see a good deal or one day want to try new speakers than do it.
well that's not what I want to hear :D I want to hear yeah new speaker blows you away lol. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
Yeah, I found all the a/m kicker stuff for a good price. the 3 1/2 and I think i have 6 1/2 in the door, or are they 6x9? I have yet to pull those door panels off yet. Thanks for the link.
you could have either 6.5" or 6x9 in the door hard to say. to me i would reccomend 6x9's regardless of what you have because more cone area equals more midbass. i found out the hard way :(
well that's not what I want to hear :D I want to hear yeah new speaker blows you away lol. Good to know.
yeah i know, you have to basically understand there could be a slight difference but because like i said above the best oem amp puts out 46 watts the oem speakers will be able to handle this giving a very slight if no difference. Now if you were to upgrade amps to aftermarket and pushing something like 75 watts to the stock speakers adding new aftermarket speakers i could almost gurantee you will notice a difference.. I guess you have some thinking to do john. LOL

·
Registered
655 Posts
Get the kicker amp like Todd suggested (he and shawn know what they are talking about) and sell your stock.
then , IMO get what you can afford based on taste. If you like highs and clarity, switch out the front doors/dash.. If you want a little more hit/bass, then do the rears...

Or do the doors and front dash and purchase another amp and sub combo to give you the xtra bass in the future.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
mine was upgraded to the srt8 amp, don't think it was the kicker amp though. besides I'm content with my sound set up as is for now lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts