Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys :),

I am having a problem similar to the one mentioned here: http://www.300cforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71939. I am now trying to remove my fascia to fix a few cracks on my bumper and the step I got stuck at is the following:

It appears that the bolts on both sides have gun rusted, and when trying to strip one, the bracket keeps spinning with it. Tried holding the bracket with my hand from above, but I can't get a hold strong enough to strip the bolt. Tried WD40 - no use either. Thought of clutching the bracket with the pliers, but I can't get it to it as there is a bunch of things above the bolt, such as the air filter, headlights, and etc:shakehead:

By the way, sorry guys I gotta admit I am noob and don't really have too much experience with solving problems like that... but the good thing is that I am trying to learn as much as I can at this point :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
If the bolt is rusted so bad that it won't turn or galled, the best thing to do is, cut if off as close to the bracket as you can and then remove the bracket and drill out the remainder of the bolt.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I agree. If you can't get it out you'll have to cut it off and drill it.

It is hard to get hold of the nut clip on top.

Can someone help you from the top? They might be able to see it or get a pliers on it.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
take off the front tire and remove the plastic wheel well. that will give you more room to get in there and see what is going on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DaveDees, I am kind of scared to drill this bolt out, as there is a high chance you can damage something while doing that :4-dontknow:

MADDOG, tried that thing as well. You can't really get to from the top, as there is a bunch of parts above it. Well, I probably can with my hand, but not with the pilers :shakehead:

Cibalo - thanks for the idea but... isn't there really an easier way of taking this bolt out? Especially for the 300's, as half of the their owners swap fascia and other stuff...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Remove wheel well cover and find a small vice grip as said it always comes in handy, Good luck

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
the easy way is to put a 10mm socket on it with a 12" extension and undo it, but it that is what you are doing and it's not moving then it's time for something else. you've tried WD-40 and that didn't work, you could try some heat but in that area I wouldn't so your options are drill it out or take off other parts so you can get around it better

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
would PB blaster work, seeing that's used for loosening stubborn rusted bolts? but good luck.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
The problem isn't the bolt anymore, the whole assembly is turning. Ok, try screwing it back in, not all the way but enough to where there is quite a bit of the bolt on the other side of the nut. Cut the head off then try to screw the rest of the bolt right through with the help of a pair of vice grips. If that doesn't work, like I said earlier, you'll have to drill it out. Start with a smaller diameter drill and progressively enlarge the drill until there not much of the screw left in the threads. Just have to make sure you're on center when you drill the first time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 300 c I replaced the front fender and front bumper assembly new lights and rad support but the guy I bought the car off lost the box of all the bolts and screws push pins just wondering where a guy could find out what the stock bolts etc are and where to get them

·
Registered
45 Posts
Spray it real good with either PB Blaster or WD-40 and let it sit for a day or so. Go back and hit with with more spray every couple hours. Be patient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts