Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will probably get teased, but here's what I did.

IST TRIP -(Pic below) Removed resonators, installed Flowmaster 40 series. ($230) Left suitcase on (I know, I know) Yes, I was running 3 mufflers for a couple of days. Get home, and wife states sounds the same as stock. (she just added more determination to get louder.) To me, there was a slight increase in tone, but not close enuf, or loud enuf, to what I wanted or expected. Thought was due to still having suitcase still mounted. (3rd muffler - again, I know, I know) Exhaust shop swears that suitcase was not the muffler, but the actual resonator.

2ND TRIP - Painted FM's & piping black with high heat resistant paint... Suitcase deleted & replaced with piping. (Extra $100)... (NOT SHOWN IN PIC.) Deeper tone now, and noticeably louder from the outside. I likely.... Or so I thought.

Drone is WAY more moticeable. In stop and go traffic situations, PITA to carry a regular conversation.... I used to have a 2005 Dodge Ram, 4.7L quad cab, with headers, single exhaust, single flowmaster installed, & dumped at axle. That set up sounded cool, and drone was no where near as bad/loud inside cabin.

1) Is the drone so MUCH noticeable now because of more powerfull engine with dual exhaust?

2) Is my only solution is to remount FM's where suitcase was, and reinstall stock reso's?

3) Can reso's be mounted where suitcase was, and leave FM's where they are now???
My philosophy tells me exhaust route should be cats, piping, mufflers, piping, then reso's...

4) Or give it some time, and I'll get used to "louder" drone??? Than what I had with my Ram.

5) More "get up and go" also noticed at freeway speeds, but (as read in other posts) maybe a little loss in power on the low end.... Will a predator restore my "low end" decrease?

Please chime in with answers, questions, thoughts, and opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The drone will be there. Some of our members place a glass pack reso (like blastin bob) at the end (where your flowmasters are).

I too have a flowmaster and reso and suitcase deleted. But my muffler is over where the suitcase was. Drone is not too bad at all.

good luck with this and let us know what you come up with to get rid of drone completely.

Welcome to the forum, from Canada!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if it will get quieter if the FM's were placed in the middle instead of towards the end. Someone told me the more pipe you have b4 the mufflers, the louder it will be. (I guess that's what I got.) I didn;t think it make THAT much difference with the drone.

·
a.k.a. EvilSRT
2,409 Posts
1) Is the drone so MUCH noticeable now because of more powerfull engine with dual exhaust?

2) Is my only solution is to remount FM's where suitcase was, and reinstall stock reso's?

3) Can reso's be mounted where suitcase was, and leave FM's where they are now???
My philosophy tells me exhaust route should be cats, piping, mufflers, piping, then reso's...

4) Or give it some time, and I'll get used to "louder" drone??? Than what I had with my Ram.

5) More "get up and go" also noticed at freeway speeds, but (as read in other posts) maybe a little loss in power on the low end.... Will a predator restore my "low end" decrease?

Please chime in with answers, questions, thoughts, and opinions.
1. No it's the way the exhaust is set up.

2. Reso's will help but you can try different size and length tips.

3. Your mufflers should be where the suitcase is. That's your main problem.

4. No

5. Want more low end power? The only way you're gonna get that is by stepping up to a bigger and badder Torque Converter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm kicking myself in the head by not putting the mufflers where the suitcase is. Muffler shop swore up and down the suitcase was actually the resonator.

You think moving FM's to middle of car will HELP WITH DRONE
- A little bit?
- Tremendously?
- Barely noticeable difference?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at some other aftermarket bolt on cat-back exhausts, and noticed that some had their mufflers in the rear, right by the tips.

I thought having them (FM's) where the suitcase was would cause excessive drone, since would be right under cabin of car.

But.... I'm starting to get used to the drone now. Outside sounds like a monster just woke up at first turn of key.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
no offence but i'm not believing you.
You still have the stock muffler, thus the sound is restricted.
And then your having them run yet again through another muffler (FMs are known for drone anyways). So again your restricting the airflow through.

Have you started to question why you have such bad drone yet?
YOUR AIR IS BEING BLOCKED!
(go do it right and you'll have a louder sound, with less drone)

Your setup is what ever you want but just letting you know its wrong.
If you wanted the FM's back that far you would have ran a straight pipe to them from the x pipe and then go with "resonated tips" to eliminated needing a resonator.

Anyone else ever ask a dealer to replace 4 mufflers at once under warranty?
i'd love to see the expression on his face

Remember KISS : Keep It Simple Stupid :)
Simple logic here have you ever heard of a car needing 4 mufflers?
Your like tossing bass down empty hallways with a long ass way out hence why drone (the echo) is driving you crazy

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Only 2 mufflers on car now. Flowmasters replaced resonators. And suitcase has been deleted.
My bad i should have probably read part 2 lol

Well then i understand the dilema now.
I know most people shut off the mds with the predator because thats what causes alot of the drone. Idk if this is the possiblity for you but you went with the loudest exhaust and the brand most known for drone so idk if you can dodge the bullet on this one. Some people dont mind it, others cant stand it

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My 2008 doesn't have MDS. I guess this is a good thing in this particular situation.
ahh...it normally does. unless you have disabled it via predator or something else.
MDS is multi displacement system.
That kicks in the 4 cylinders WHEN your driving it NOT like a maniac lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
powerful but low tone

hey guys,
im still new..... I got a cold-air kit on mine with the stock exhaust......
Im wanting that ultra low, heavy , powerfull tone (like I've heard on some of the earlier "big-v8" imports).
Is it my understanding that thowing out the "suitcase" and installing f-ms' will do it and which muffler series are you suggesting????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well damn I'm glad I put my FM where the suitcase was, and then ran straight pipes to the tips eliminating those mufflers also. Drone is not very noticeable Wooohoooo lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok. This is a mod that I am wanting to do. Could someone PM me a pick of how it should be done. This way I can make sure they get it right at the shop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One more question. Drone is not really a concern for me as my music is usually blasting. How is the sound out side? Enough to scare the evo, subies, and laughable hondas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blasting bob

Hey got a ? If I get sum blasting bobs and for the suitcase can I but a Dual Inlet / Dual Outlet Flowmaster Super 40 Series Mufflers or do I gotta get two mufflers ? And if I gotta get two wat do I get Flowmaster Super 40 Series Mufflers 1 Center Inlet / Center Outlet 2 Center Inlet / Offset Outlet 3 Offset Inlet / Center Outlet3 Offset Inlet / Same Side Offset Outlet 4Offset Inlet / Opposite Side Offset Outlet here's the site I'm gettin from http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/65A2513A0A0.aspx and I got a 07 chrysler 300c 5.7 rwd I'm trying get sum more power here's a pic of the dual wat I was askin about thanks

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts