Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gen1 3rd brake light is servicable if you want it to be. Mine is 2006. I took mine apart by remove assembly from the vehicle, unclip and remove the red lense and carefully drill out the 6 melted plastic pins to remove the electronics from the black plastic housing. There were 2 separate problems. First is the poor quality electronics construction where the metal sections holding the 6 leds are mechanically punched together and not soldered making for loose intermittent connections over time, so I soldered all the led metal punch tabs to ensure conductivity. There are 3 sections of 2 leds each and the 3 sections are all in series, so if 1 section fails then entire assembly goes dark. Turns out both of my middle leds failed and I found this by touching a jumper wire across each of the three “2 led” metal sections, one at a time, while applying power to the input connector. As soon as I jumped the middle 2 led section then the two outer led sections lit up nice and bright! I cut out the two middle leds and soldered in two replacement leds and units works good as new. To reassemble, I drilled thru the housing 2 pin holes from the exterior housing side and used 2 small screws to remount the circuit board into the housing so it can be serviced again in the future. The 2 leds I soldered in were less than $5 from my parts bin and completed entire job on a Sunday afternoon. A new replacement assembly is over $200 shipped.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts