Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

The car in question is a 2007 Chrysler 300C (5.7L HEMI, RWD)

So this problem just started recently. No work has been done on the front end for over a year (brake pad replacement and sway bar bushing replacement).

The car makes a grinding noise when I am turning while accelerating or loading the tire horizontally by turning sharp while moving quickly. It feels like it's coming from the front drivers side wheel area. I only say that because the sound seems to be coming from that area and I can feel the vibrations with my left foot.

The grinding does NOT happen if I'm turning while moving slowly (even at full lock). Only when I am turning quickly and loading the tire horizontally. It happens most when turning right, but does happen to a lesser extent while turning left. Also, if I turn quickly while accelerating (and start the grinding noise), then straighten out, the noise continues until I let off the throttle. Could this be a transmission issue?

From what I've read on threads with similar issues, it could be a wheel bearing. Tie rod? Rack and pinion steering? Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It also seems to be doing it now under moderately heavy acceleration. Like two pieces of metal tapping together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I think the problem has been solved. It's kinda stupid... my issue was actually caused by two different problems.

1) I have DMH electric cutouts that I just put back on. I've taken them off and put them back on multiple times before, so I didn't think this could be an issue. They were in fact installed correctly.

2) My dirvers side hydraulic engine mount was completely shot. They said when they did the brake test to see if the mount was bad, the engine raised up a good two inches!

So normally, neither of these things by themselves would cause the issue I was having. But together, they likely were the cause of the problem. The bad engine mount meant that under moderate to heavy acceleration the engine would actually lift up on the drivers side. This caused the exhaust system on the drivers side to follow it, raising up (the 300C has true dual exhaust). Now that the exhaust pipe had raised up, it caused my electric cutout housing to rattle loudly against the drivers side floor board! since getting the car back from the shop I have not had the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey mate, Just Saw this, I'm having the same problems My 300c is RHD when cornering left under load/speed and if in a lower gear at higher rpm I get a Knock Knock Knock sound from Front right wheel area that varies depending on my throttle input, increasing as I increased the rpm I have long tube headers which normally run close to the under chassis of the car and believe I have a bad engine mount which I'm replacing Soon, I also sometimes get the same Knock seems like you're find is what I'm experiencing I have focused on suspension components and found nothing to suggest that being the cause so I'll look for what you're suggesting

Thanks mate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts