Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched thru a lot of threads and can't seem to find anyone who has this exact problem ...yet. I have a 2016 300C and the passenger headlight works when it wants too --the driver side light is fine and have not had an issue. Not so much of a flicker, it will just turn on for a bit then go off, randomly come back on for a little then turn back off. I tried switching out the bulb, that worked for about half a day and back to the same problem. I don't feel like it would be the 'headlight switch' since the other bulb works perfectly fine? Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? I'm thinking an electrical problem but where would I even start? Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've searched thru a lot of threads and can't seem to find anyone who has this exact problem ...yet. I have a 2016 300C and the passenger headlight works when it wants too --the driver side light is fine and have not had an issue. Not so much of a flicker, it will just turn on for a bit then go off, randomly come back on for a little then turn back off. I tried switching out the bulb, that worked for about half a day and back to the same problem. I don't feel like it would be the 'headlight switch' since the other bulb works perfectly fine? Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? I'm thinking an electrical problem but where would I even start? Thanks!
My friend has a newer 300 he had it at the dealer I believe it was a resistor in the wiring that shorted out and the just got him a whole new headlight assembly but I would check your wiring to the light cause 9 times out of 10 the little things will wreak havoc

·
Registered
508 Posts
You don't say whether these are HID or halogen. If they're HID, I would suspect the bulb (yes, I read that you replaced the bulb), the ballast, or a partially burned fuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't say whether these are HID or halogen. If they're HID, I would suspect the bulb (yes, I read that you replaced the bulb), the ballast, or a partially burned fuse.
They're HID. I ordered a kit that comes with a ballast, connecting wire & another bulb, so I'll see if that fixes the issue. But now all of a sudden the driver side bulb is giving me the same problem so maybe I need another ballast or just a new headlight switch?? I don't even know. How would I go about checking the fuse?

·
Registered
508 Posts
They're HID. I ordered a kit that comes with a ballast, connecting wire & another bulb, so I'll see if that fixes the issue. But now all of a sudden the driver side bulb is giving me the same problem so maybe I need another ballast or just a new headlight switch?? I don't even know. How would I go about checking the fuse?
HID bulbs require progressively more voltage to fire as they age, which in turn taxes the ballasts, and results in them drawing more power through the circuit. This often overheats the circuit and "burns" or damages the fuses.

So your problem could be related to any combination of bulbs, ballasts or fuses.

Check your owner's manual to find your headlamp fuses, then pull them out. Look for signs of melting, burning or distortion. Then check them for continuity. Or you can just replace them.

I've never seen an OEM HID "kit" for LX/LD cars. I suspect you have have bought an aftermarket "retrofit" kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friend has a newer 300 he had it at the dealer I believe it was a resistor in the wiring that shorted out and the just got him a whole new headlight assembly but I would check your wiring to the light cause 9 times out of 10 the little things will wreak havoc
I'm thinking it may be the wiring at this point too. I'll check it out, thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HID bulbs require progressively more voltage to fire as they age, which in turn taxes the ballasts, and results in them drawing more power through the circuit. This often overheats the circuit and "burns" or damages the fuses.

So your problem could be related to any combination of bulbs, ballasts or fuses.

Check your owner's manual to find your headlamp fuses, then pull them out. Look for signs of melting, burning or distortion. Then check them for continuity. Or you can just replace them.

I've never seen an OEM HID "kit" for LX/LD cars. I suspect you have have bought an aftermarket "retrofit" kit.
I found where the fuses are at so I'll be checking them for sure. As far as the headlights, yeah whoever had the car prior to me (just got it 2 months ago) must have gotten an aftermarket kit because when I bought the factory lights to replace it originally, they were completely different --come to find out it has D3S HID bulbs. Going to check fuses & replace ballasts and go from there. Thanks for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts