Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 05 300C I purchased today has about 163K miles on it and according to the person I bought it from was functioning excellent until the 3rd piston back on the passenger side disintegrated and annihilated the combustion chamber. From what I can see the cylinder wall wasn't damaged, if that holds true I plan on removing the piston, honing the hole, installing a new piston and wrecking yard head. I have done it before on a Ford 5.0L and it worked great. If the repair doesn't hold I am not out much money and I can yank the engine. It seems like the sensible first step rather than throwing the baby away with the bathwater.

I didn't think to take a picture when the guy pulled the head off so I could see, at this point I don't see a downside.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Before I attempted that repair, I'd want a look at the head.

The most common reason an '05 Hemi would have that kind of failure would be a dropped valve seat. If that's what happened, the crank may be damaged as well.

Another issue is that if one seat dropped, you may have another one let go after you've performed the repair. That's why it's common for folks to go with reman heads on early 5.7s after even minor work like head gaskets. Rebuilders generally replace the poor quality OEM seats with improved ones to address this problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is definitely good to know, I haven't even gotten it home yet, so I don't know what I am going to find in that hole, just from a cursory 5 second glance I could see no damage to the wall but it doesn't mean it isn't there. I got the complete car for $600 I really never had any plans to buy a Hemi but being in such good shape I couldn't not

my first thought was to take what I wanted off of it and sell it on, but after actually seeing it I am loath to do that so we will see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts