Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago my passenger head light went out. Bought an OEM bulb worked for 4 days & went out again. I returned the bulb thinking it was a bad bulb, the guy I bought it from tested it & the bulb was working fine. Well we switched the bulb, ballast, and even the whole head light to the other side but the problem remained on the passenger side. (It comes on sometimes but turns off after a few minutes). Well we checked the HID relay connection in the fuse box with circuit tester. (Removed relay plug & tested the pin connection in the actual box) 2 power & 1 ground pin sends a steady current signal, but 1 ground is not sending a steady signal, the tester flickers on & off. What would be the next step to take? Should it be an easy fix or should I just take it to the dealer & let them charge me an arm & a leg to have it fixed?

·
Registered
397 Posts
What year and model you have, this person had the same trouble,

It went away for him after a while.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Let's assume from your description that the problem comes from the unstable ground. ( if not, it's a problem in any case, has it indicate your cable or connection are bad. )

1st I would try to trace the cable and see both end of it, making sure there is no oxidation.
Then you could do a resistance / conductivity test. Plug the Multi meter and move the cable, see it the value or sound change. If it does, probably the cable is damage or cut and will need to be replace. If you have some cables you could run a temporary cable from 1 connector to the other and have a bypass. So if the original cut off the current will use the temp one and will still conduct the signal.
If the connector and cable are fine, then you have to assume something else is broken.
Check the fuse, sometimes it can crack and be intermittent, it's rare but quick and check to check. Also check the cables around the fuse box.
Then I would go to the light switch, make sure all connector are clean and properly secure. The switch could have stress fatigue, and after a while deform and interrupt the current, or have build oxidation. Move the switch a few times to create friction on the connectors, If you problem goes away for a few week it was probably dirty. If the problems come back faster (hours / days ) then I would think stress.
Before you decide to replace it, I would see if you can bypass the connectors. If the switch is bad and you bypass it, the light should come on right away. If not, then something else is going on. (if the switch is off and light comes on you are shorting the wrong connection :3 )

At this point I would take it to the mechanic to test control modules.

Also be careful playing with electricity !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's assume from your description that the problem comes from the unstable ground. ( if not, it's a problem in any case, has it indicate your cable or connection are bad. )

1st I would try to trace the cable and see both end of it, making sure there is no oxidation.
Then you could do a resistance / conductivity test. Plug the Multi meter and move the cable, see it the value or sound change. If it does, probably the cable is damage or cut and will need to be replace. If you have some cables you could run a temporary cable from 1 connector to the other and have a bypass. So if the original cut off the current will use the temp one and will still conduct the signal.
If the connector and cable are fine, then you have to assume something else is broken.
Check the fuse, sometimes it can crack and be intermittent, it's rare but quick and check to check. Also check the cables around the fuse box.
Then I would go to the light switch, make sure all connector are clean and properly secure. The switch could have stress fatigue, and after a while deform and interrupt the current, or have build oxidation. Move the switch a few times to create friction on the connectors, If you problem goes away for a few week it was probably dirty. If the problems come back faster (hours / days ) then I would think stress.
Before you decide to replace it, I would see if you can bypass the connectors. If the switch is bad and you bypass it, the light should come on right away. If not, then something else is going on. (if the switch is off and light comes on you are shorting the wrong connection :3 )

At this point I would take it to the mechanic to test control modules.

Also be careful playing with electricity !
Thank you for replying. Our friend who is a mechanic helped us out. Turns out the mini fuse was starting to melt! When testing it with a test light, it would send back a signal that it had power going through. Maybe that's why it only worked at times .. Changed it, light came on & it's working so far. I hear chargers have the same melting fuse problem ?‍♀

1 - 6 of 6 Posts