Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most of you do when the hood lift struts go bad? I can't see spending $60 for a pair of replacement lifts when a plastic rod cut to length costs nothing and is actually more secure

I admit I am the cheapest person I know, but it doesn't mean I am wrong and it stows away neatly and securely.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I buy a new set of aftermarket supports for $15 or so.

If you don't like or trust gas supports, you can buy a factory Dodge Charger prop rod assembly from any boneyard for around $10 and install it in your 300. That's the safest hood support there is.

Jamming a piece of plastic in there to hold the hood up strikes me as hokey and unsafe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks can be deceiving, after reading your comment I inserted a cut to bbn length metal rod (threaded rod, like a bolt with no head and notched the end the hood hinge bolt rests in) , so it is anything but flimsy and yet has a sleek appearance

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm sure you can't wait to tell me that nobody else is ever going to open your hood, you're never going to knock that rod out of place with an elbow or an errant tool, and that there's no possible scenario where that metal rod could ever find it's way into your accessory drive and cause catastrophic damage.

It's your car, so if you think that setup beats either a $15 set of replacement gas lifts or an even cheaper factory prop rod assembly out of a Charger, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You proclaimed that a single side-mounted plastic rod is "more secure" than the original hood supports, and you specifically asked for input from other forum members.

I gave it.

Don't worry, I won't make that mistake with you again. If all you're looking for is to have others praise your ingenuity and problem-solving skills, maybe don't ask for advice.

Especially not in a PM.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I appreciate the input, but the only head I am putting at risk is my own, I have never had a hood I have made a prop rod for fall, it is out of the way far enough that the chances of it getting knocked out are pretty small. I have had a hood held up by hood struts come slamming down, breaking 3 of my fingers in the process, so yes I do consider something that can't compress holding a hood up safer othan something that can because of my particular life experience. I am sure most people understand Negative Nellie is a humorous statement, since it is something my grandmother literally used to say and not some sort of insult.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts