Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This how to is brought to you by Me and more importantly the pioneer who tracked the info down, Mr. Incredible.

This modification will allow you to deactivate your ESP 100%. What this means is you will have no Torque managment, no traction control, and no YAW control. Donuts, burnouts, you name it and it can then be done. This is different than the stock switch found in the vehicles.

You will need:
phillips screwdriver
7mm socket and wrench
wire strippers
one on/off switch
wire connectors or electrical tape depending on desired connections
length of wire

Step 1.

Remove your center console. This is quite easy and a 15 minute task.

First pop the shifter surround off, this is the chrome trim ring around the shifter. No tools needed, simply lifts up.

Second, pull the heated seats and ashtray out no tools needed for this either though a thin screwdriver may help you.

Third, remove the two rubber mats in the console the front rubber mat under the ashtray and the rubber tray in the center console storage area.

You are now ready to remove the 7 screws that hold the console in. There are two philips head screws behind the ash tray, two under the front rubber mat on the console, then 3 7mm bolts in the center console area.

After this is done you can lift and remove the center console from the car and set it aside momentarily.

Step 2

Locate the silver or black box (depending on model year), The example is in this picture

On this box there is a wire connection, find the purple with blue stripe wire (careful there is a purple with a grey stripe also)

Step 3

You are now ready to install your esp switch. This is a simple on/off switch found at any electronics store like radio shack. Aproxiamtely $3.

Cut the purple with blue stripe wire located in previous step. On each side of this cut put your length of wire long enough to where you would like your switch located. I mounted mine in the side of the center console seen here....

For this location about 24" of wire was needed.

Step 4

Mount your switch in the location of choice. Then wire your lengths of wires onto the switch once mounted.

Step 5.

It is time to test your wiring. Turn the car on. If the ESP switch is in the deactivation mode you will see the orange ESP BAS light on, and the Car with the Squiggly lines on also. This means that esp is deactivated. If those lights are not on then ESP is still on, and you need to flip your switch to test the wiring.

If you have proper function you may now go to step 6.

Note: ESP can not be turned back on without restarting the car and flipping the esp mod switch to the correct position.

Step 6

Reassemble center console the opposite of removal.

You are finished. Congradulations on a succesful install. You just saved mucho dinero doing this yourself.

NOTE: WE TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS MOD>>>THIS INCLUDES EXCESSIVE TIRE WEAR.

·
A.K.A 300CSRT8
5,512 Posts
I have done this, UCM is the one who helped me (via the internet) It works GREAT, I mean Freaking GREAT

Rob

I think I did it for $3.27 and about an hour or so if I remember right

Thanks MIKE !!!

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Great post. I was gonna do this mod this weekend, but I hear the Predator might be able to do some ESP tricks, so I'm going to wait and see how well it does.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On another post elsewhere I read and tried this. I was reluctant at first but it worked great - at least on my 2007 300C. Start your car, put it in drive and start driving (it won't work while standing still). Then, while driving, turn your key to start (your starter will not engage again) hold key in start position for a few seconds until ESP light comes on in instrument panel. It is now disabled and will only self reset after turning off the engine and restarting it again normally. No work, no cost and no warranty violation.

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On another post elsewhere I read and tried this. I was reluctant at first but it worked great - at least on my 2007 300C. Start your car, put it in drive and start driving (it won't work while standing still). Then, while driving, turn your key to start (your starter will not engage again) hold key in start position for a few seconds until ESP light comes on in instrument panel. It is now diabled and will only self reset after turning off the engine and restarting it again normally. No work, no cost and no warranty violation.
That works on most of the cars. 05's it won't work on, and early 06's too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
hmmm the pics for step 2 arent showing for me...can you post em another way....like attachment or thru photobucket? I am getting the red X box...
I may do this this weekend....:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm the pics for step 2 arent showing for me...can you post em another way....like attachment or thru photobucket? I am getting the red X box...
I may do this this weekend....:smiley_thumbs_up:

Unfortunately no. Someone who was hosting those pics decided that they didn't want to anymore. So, until I take my console out again...no pics.

·
Registered
676 Posts
will this have any major difference in 3.5L models or no? lol

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt that you would notice a difference in the 3.5, the main reason is that you don't have the power to break the tires loose.

·
Registered
676 Posts
ummm, yes i do lol...i have before lol..but of course not as much as yall do lol

·
Registered
676 Posts
lol..good one

·
Registered
893 Posts
Great write up UCM. I remember you posted this awhile back. At Space City LX's last M&G, Bo and I helped 7 LX owners install the $5 no-esp mod. I did not like the location of the switch on the side of the center console. So Bo and I stealth installed the switch into the ash tray, of my Magnum. When I go to put the Super Bee all back together (parts at the powder coaters). We will install another no-esp switch in the Bee's ash tray.

·
Registered
156 Posts
OK, i just did this mod to my '05 300c. I wired the switch into the purple wire w/blue strip. When i flip the switch only the esp-bas light comes on...the car w/ the squiggly lines does not. any suggestions?

NOTE: I can still get the car w/ squigglies light to come on and go off by pressing the factory esp button...even when the switch I installed is in the off possition. Any suggestion?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts