Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of members buying those stick on chrome mirror caps that you can get on ebay, which are cool, but when I was offered the chrome factory caps from a friend for nothing, I couldn't resist. I wanted to stay as close as to looking stock as possible. Here is a picture of them:

So, I decided today, since it wasn't too cold, and I had my camera handy, that I would put a small "how to" together. This mod is super simple, and easier than I thought. At first I though I would break something, but with the right tools, and a bit of patience..being this is the first time I've done this mod, the whole thing took me 15 minutes tops..including the time to put some wax on the new chrome.

Before I start, I would like to add, that if you live in colder climated such as I do, wait for warmer weather for the installation as the cold will make the plastic parts brittle. You won't believe how many parts are thrown out in Brampton at the factory because of this.

A good tool to use, is a small shim like tool that looks like this..my friend that works at the car factory lent this to me. As you can see it is about the same size as a smaller water bottle:

Here is the stock mirror that came with the car:

This is what the back of a mirror cap looks like. There are small clip like areas, that go around the back of the mirror, that you should be gentle with..take your time with this mod..it would be a shame if these clips broke:

Next, take the shim, and start moving it along the bottom lining of the mirror with enough force to get it in there..do not force it too much as you may break the clips. Once the shim is in the mirror, move it side to side, and up and down very gently..this will cause the clips at the botton to release the cap. You should be able to pull it off now:

Your cap is now off, and the new one ready to install:

It's actually quite easy to re-install, all you are doing is going backwords. The best thing to do is line up the two top clips first, and work your way down until they are all snapped into place:

You are now done the re and re of the the mirror caps. Might I suggest you put some chrome polish to finish this off..works great as a protectant, and will remove all the finger prints from the installation:

And the finished product:

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Careful with the chrome polish....it can be abrasive and the ABS plastic chrome doesn't hold up to well to that.

BTW....I'd say you can move this to the knowledge base yourself...lol

Nice work Paul.

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Careful with the chrome polish....it can be abrasive and the ABS plastic chrome doesn't hold up to well to that.

BTW....I'd say you can move this to the knowledge base yourself...lol

Nice work Paul.
Hey, thanks Mike. This stuff said it was safe for chrome and plastics..it's pretty light stuff:smileup:

·
Banned
94 Posts
Paul is a tool, isn't he?! Hee hee............:rolleyes: Great how to! I was cold just reading it!!! It turned out great! :smileup:

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice write up Paul, looks pretty straight forward if you have the right tool
You couldn't be more right there Daniel! That simple little shim makes all the difference. It was great to have opinions from the gentleman that I got it from. He told me exactly how to use it and the whole installation too.

Paul is a tool, isn't he?! Hee hee............:rolleyes: Great how to! I was cold just reading it!!! It turned out great! :smileup:
I am a tool sometimes lol! Thank you Stacy! The weather was actually not all that bad today..believe it or not the temperature is still rising and some of the snow melting.. Don't worry..we'll get more lol!

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Thanks for the write up, Paul. Nice install. They look great! I'd rep ya, but you know how it is...lol. Beans forth-coming, as soon as I can. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the write up, Paul. Nice install. They look great! I'd rep ya, but you know how it is...lol. Beans forth-coming, as soon as I can. :smileup:
Thank you Phil!:smileup: I love chrome :D!

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Now that was a very informative post. Great job, Paul. Thank you for sharing this with us. I plan on doing this shortly, but I'm going to go with the color matched set. The mod that I did to my mirrors a while back had to get undone today. The paint started chipping and they weren't looking pretty. They are chrome again.

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that was a very informative post. Great job, Paul. Thank you for sharing this with us. I plan on doing this shortly, but I'm going to go with the color matched set. The mod that I did to my mirrors a while back had to get undone today. The paint started chipping and they weren't looking pretty. They are chrome again.
Thank you Dave! :) It was actually quite enjoyable today getting out and doing a mod even know it was a small one..it was fun!:smileup:

Did you sand the mirrors down when you painted them? That may me the cause of the paint not sticking.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Those look pretty sweet, Paul! You have a badass ride! :smileup:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Free chrome eh ya can go wrong with that!!
good write up Paul
a mod i'd like to do also

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Free chrome eh ya can go wrong with that!!
good write up Paul
a mod i'd like to do also
Thank you Gerald! I was really fortunate to have these given to me:smileup: .. I was looking all over for them, and all I could find was the ebay ones..which aren't bad at all, but to have ones that replace the ones I had, was a real treat!:smileup:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
nice job Paul, at first I thought the chrome covers were the double taped on kind :) . so does alll the 300 side mirror pop out like this?

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice job Paul, at first I thought the chrome covers were the double taped on kind :) . so does alll the 300 side mirror pop out like this?
Thank you bro! I believe all of them are the same and can be replaced:smileup:

·
Premium Member
15,840 Posts
Looks real nice . I was just linked...(what kind of wine..lol) . A good profile shot of the car with all the chrome would be nice . Hopefully you can score a deal on some wheels and you're all set ......:smileup: .

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks real nice . I was just linked...(what kind of wine..lol) . A good profile shot of the car with all the chrome would be nice . Hopefully you can score a deal on some wheels and you're all set ......:smileup: .
I don't know what kind of wine, but I was told is was over $40 a bottle lol! T'is the season! :D I want wheels so bad man, but can't afford them right now.. but I will try to save.. it's what I want!!:smileup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey paul I would like to know where did you bought those clip mirror cover ? because I just found those sticky one ! thank you !

·
Premium Member
34,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey paul I would like to know where did you bought those clip mirror cover ? because I just found those sticky one ! thank you !
I actually got them from a friend, so I was lucky there. My second option would be the stick on ones.

By the way, welcome to the forumz! Please introduce yourself in the Newbie Check In!:smileup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts