Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the big boy amp :) but for those who want to upgrade their oem amp to upgraded amp like the srt8 amp , here it is. Srt8 owner not apply :)

Difficulty: Between easy and medium

Tools: 10mm socket, star shaped screwdriver size T20, phillips screwdriver
90 degree angle tool (not sure of the actual name but tool that'll let you work i
a 90 degree angle)

Time: 30min ish

Ok, it took me little over an hour lol only cause I had no idea what I was doing and didn't have the right tool specifically the 90 degree tool.

1st disconnect the battery

Pop that long trim, it's held in by 2 metal clips so it'll just pop out. Use whatever you have that's flat.

2nd remove the screw behind the trim

3rd remove the screw under the steering wheel

Once those 2 screws are removed, gently pull the dash out. You'll have to use some force as there are couple metal clips holding it in. But don't yank it out because your trunk opener and e brakes are attached to it.

Once removed, disconnect the trunk opener . not sure how you disconnect the e brake so just let it hang there.

I forgot to take picture of it but once the dash is removed, you'll see a metal plate just below the steering wheel. It's held in there by 4, 10 mm bolts. Once removed it's easier to access the amp.

Remove the 2 screws holding the amp in place, there's a 3rd one on top. I call it teh SOB screw :) this is where the 90 degree tool will come in handy.

Once that is removed, disconnect the cable for the amp and the black box on the other side of the amp.

In order to unplug the amp, you might have to pull back the carpet that covers the underside of teh steering wheel. just need to remove the one plastic rivet.

Black box is held in by 2 star shaped screwes.

Once the black box is removed, you can take out the amp and the metal plate that is attached to it. You have to maneuver it out. It took me awhile but I got it out whole lol

Remove the old amp , 3 screws. add the new amp and reverse everything and your done. Enjoy the new amp till yo get the bigger boy one :)

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone,

Well done. Stupid question, but do you gain in doing this mod?
it does boost the sound more and the sound quality is better imo. I listened to one particular song and noted the sound quality. Wrote down the bass, mid, treble level and after the install had the same level and same song and sounded better with deeper bass and seemed louder than before.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Thank you for posting this great write up John, I'm getting ready to upgrade my SRT8 OEM with the big Boy today... This is going to save me time.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Brad,

Moparsupercenter: Part# 77KICK18AB
do you have the oem radio or aftermarket? I read that if you switch the HU to pioneer z2 (something I want :) ) that you can get more power out of the amp than the oem.
but let us know how this one is compared to your oem. that's not a bad price either.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the Boston oem in my 300C dose it have more power then it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would like more information on this!! If you upgrade to the Kicker Amp will this over power the stock speakers? I have an 05 C but not sure what speaker configuration though it does have the REC nav. If your car has the three speaker grills on the dash does that mean there are three speakers? My other question is if you install the kicker amp can you add the sub as well or does that require a different harness for connections?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Here's some answers for ya, HemiZilla:

No, it won't overpower your stock speakers. But the stock speakers are crap and a nice upgrade is to replace them. I have Infinity Kappa 32.7 CF in the dash and Alpine SPS-609's in the doors and rear deck. Just that upgrade makes a huge difference.

No, it does not mean that you have three speakers there. There's been sooo many build options that the only way to be certain is to pop off the grill in the center location and look.

Yes, you can add the Kicker sub, box and amp to the rear. It comes as a kit, with the harness, from either your dealer or one of the MOPAR super sellers on the web. Check out the Kicker website for more info on this kit.

I had one, initially (thanks Brad!), but upgraded to an Alpine MRP-M500 mono channel amp and SPS-1043D 10" sub in a Sub Zero box. (Thanks, Todd!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts