I need help indentifying the source of a metal tap.

Discussion in 'Chrysler 300 Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by JPepe, Aug 1, 2017.

1. JPepe

JPepe New Member

Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2005
    Trim?:
    Touring
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    Hello all. I have a tap coming from my 2005 3.5 engine. At least I think it's the engine. It's the same sound as a small piece of metal landing in a sheet of metal. Similar to metal expansion. I can only hear one or two taps when taking off from a stop. It's very intermittent. A few months ago I replaced my rocker arm assemblies, valve cover gaskets, plenum gasket, EGR gasket, EGR tube seal gasket and Spark plugs then I noticed the tap a week later. 2 weeks later my car started stuttering so figured something was wrong with a plug or gasket. It turned out while wrestling the intake manifold back on I broke 2 of the ignition coils so, I replaced all 6 coils and now it runs fine but I still here that tap and it's getting more frequent. I should mention that my A/C compressor or clutch is going out. I haven't run my A/C in 2 months but, I still hear the tap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. JPepe

JPepe New Member

Vehicle:
    Vehicle Yr:
    Gen1 - 2005
    Trim?:
    Touring
    Color?:
    Bright Silver

3. JPepe

JPepe New Member

Vehicle: