Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Chrysler 300C 5.7 l Hemi. I'm looking for more horsepower. I have a cold air intake on it already. And I was thinking about running straight pipes for the exhaust. I just really wanted to sound like a badass car. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your two goals aren't the same. Your stock exhaust system is pretty efficient on that car, and you aren't going to gain much, if any power with straight pipes.

If you live where rust is a concern, you should know that you'll almost certainly be removing stainless steel exhaust components (which are designed to last the lifetime of the car) and replacing them with mild steel pipe, which will start rusting on the drive home.

Not only will straight pipes make the car obnoxiously loud and annoying, they'll produce nausea-inducing drone inside the car.

If you're on a budget, consider a mid-muffler delete instead. Your muffler can be replaced with stainless pipe, leaving the rest of the exhaust intact, including the resonators, which are there to eliminate drone.

If you have $1000-1500 burning a hole in your pocket, you could go with an aftermarket exhaust that will give you more sound, but without drone. The Solo Mach XH is a great choice, or, if you want something really loud, the Solo Street Race will give you straight pipes without drone.

Most CAIs draw warm engine compartment air. Your original airbox draws cool air from the fenderwell area, so a "CAI" on your car is likely just a noisemaker and may result in less power, not more.

If you really want to build power, consider a performance cam, headers, and a custom tune. Depending on your budget, you could get your heads reworked (have the problematic sintered steel valve seats upgraded while you're at it) or go with an Eagle head swap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts