Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the site lists the 300C with notable mention, I hope I can get answers via this forum or be directed to the right place.
I am the owner of a 2016 300 (Anniversary Edition). I purchased the vehicle 12/2019 and within 7 months of buying the vehicle, I began experiencing intermittent shut-off. By this I mean that while it doesn't do it all the time, when I approach a stop whether it be a stop sign, stop light, etc. the vehicle just shuts down on me. No warning lights on the dash. Nothing. She just shuts down and hesitates to start back up. It takes maybe one or two tries before she turns over, but it will eventually start-up and drive with no problem (until the problem occurs again).

Needless to say, it's extremely frightening when it occurs, but my biggest frustration is that after being at two Chrysler dealerships I'm being told that they can't diagnose the problem due to lack of codes being thrown (even after the problem was duplicated).

Anyone out there ever heard of or experienced such a thing?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm guessing you drive a 3.6. I've never seen an intermittent stalling issue on a 3.6 that doesn't throw any codes at all.

I imagine you paid the two Chrysler dealerships a diagnostic fee, did they hazard any guesses at all as to what the problem might be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you are correct; I have a 3.6. The only code that I was told, initially, was that there is a cylinder 2 misfire; however, the source is unknown. The first dealership had the vehicle for 11 days. It's now at dealership #2 on its 6th day.

I'm beyond frustrated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh, so it is throwing a code. I'd take it to an independent shop for new plugs (the exact plugs called for in the owner's manual) and coil packs.

Could also be ASD relay or fuel pump, but I'd definitely start with plugs and coil packs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your feedback!

Yes, it threw the code one time and hasn't done it since, yet the problem remains. They say they've checked the coil pack and I've also had the spark plugs changed (ordered from the dealership) before taking it in at an independent shop (the owner doesn't want to keep guessing so he suggested to take it to the dealership).
While I've had a few people mention the fuel pump, the dealership says that I'd be experiencing the issue a lot more if it were that 🤷🏽‍♀️.
I also failed to mention that just a few months (2 to be exact) after purchasing the vehicle, I had to take it back because I kept smelling gas upon filling up; they changed the injectors.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As hard as this would be to diagnose in person with wiTech and all the other resources a stealership would have, it's even harder to do online. And I appreciate your frustration, both with the problem itself and the cost and time factor of "throwing parts at the problem".

That said, I would be very curious to know why no one has considered that the EVAP canister may be the problem, especially after learning about the fuel smell you experienced earlier.

I'm also not sure that you can verify proper operation of the coil packs by looking at them. It's true that sometimes they'll have scorch marks or other indications of arcing, but I think in most cases, if they're suspect you replace them. I think six coil packs are around $100, a little less for the EVAP canister.

I'm sure the independent mechanic doesn't want an angry customer who still has the same problem after spending hundreds of dollars on parts replacement. Something else your mechanic could try would be to check both the fuel pressure and oil pressure to be sure they're within specs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was advised to pick my car up yesterday after being told that the problem cannot be diagnosed since no more codes have been thrown. Chrysler Customer Care deems my car "fully operable" and therefore can't force the dealership to keep my car.
While this, of course, is frustrating in and of itself when I'm taken to my car I find that my entire back seat is detached! Any idea why my back seat would have to be removed? I'm beyond at a lost at this point. 😔

·
Registered
328 Posts
While this, of course, is frustrating in and of itself when I'm taken to my car I find that my entire back seat is detached! Any idea why my back seat would have to be removed?
Yes.

The dealership probably wanted to check the fuel pump, which is under the seat. They certainly shouldn't have left it like that. I'm willing to bet that if you stop by any time the service department is open, they should be able to pop it back in for you in about five minutes.

If you need to carry rear seat passengers right away and/or can't get back to the stealership, you can do it yourself after watching this video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CtCarl, you're the BEST...thank you!!! I sure wish you were local.

I've read in a few other threads that the problem may be related to the emission canister, is that possible? I've got an appt scheduled with an independent mechanic next week...hoping for the best🤞🏼

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Haven...I've never been!

I apologize, my mechanical terminology is not even that of a novice (misunderstanding that different terms are synonymous).

Thanks again for your input. I'll reply to the thread after my visit to the independent mechanic.

·
Registered
328 Posts
New Haven...I've never been!

I apologize, my mechanical terminology is not even that of a novice (misunderstanding that different terms are synonymous).

Thanks again for your input. I'll reply to the thread after my visit to the independent mechanic.
Sounds good. Best of luck with the new shop!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts