Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
thank you for adding me to this page my question is I'm reading so many nightmare tales of this engine with the amount of miles would that mean that the engine may have been replaced or was rebuilt and all the problems were worked out cause the car is in excellent shape and very clean hell she's spotless and the spare still has the original lines on the spare tire just a really clean car :giggle:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Craig, welcome aboard.

Sounds like a nice ride. Just to be on the safe side, though, keep a close eye on that 2.7. You can read more about the most common 2.7 issues here, but the most important thing is prompt repair. A water pump gasket is simple to fix, but the real issue is the contamination of your engine oil with coolant. That will permanently damage the engine, and it may not show any symptoms until it's too late. What I suggest is to check your oil level at every fill-up (if that's too often, go every other fill-up) and check for any signs of contamination or sludging. It's probably best to use a good-quality full synthetic oil and change it every 5-6k or every six months, whichever comes first. Watch out for your engine temps, and keep your cooling system clean and full, with a 50/50 mix of a quality HOAT coolant and distilled water.

If you really want to be careful, pick up a couple of cheap used-oil analysis kits on that big auction website, and send samples in once a year. They'll let you know for certain whether or not you have any water or coolant contamination. That's probably overkill, and you could develop a leak while you're waiting for the UOA report...but if I had a 2.7, I'd consider it. A new water pump, if needed, is a lot cheaper than a new engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for adding me to this page my question is I'm reading so many nightmare tales of this engine with the amount of miles would that mean that the engine may have been replaced or was rebuilt and all the problems were worked out cause the car is in excellent shape and very clean hell she's spotless and the spare still has the original lines on the spare tire just a really clean car :giggle:

Sounds like a nice ride. Just to be on the safe side, though, keep a close eye on that 2.7. You can read more about the most common 2.7 issues here, but the most important thing is prompt repair. A water pump gasket is simple to fix, but the real issue is the contamination of your engine oil with coolant. That will permanently damage the engine, and it may not show any symptoms until it's too late. What I suggest is to check your oil level at every fill-up (if that's too often, go every other fill-up) and check for any signs of contamination or sludging. It's probably best to use a good-quality full synthetic oil and change it every 5-6k or every six months, whichever comes first. Watch out for your engine temps, and keep your cooling system clean and full, with a 50/50 mix of a quality HOAT coolant and distilled water.

If you really want to be careful, pick up a couple of cheap used-oil analysis kits on that big auction website, and send samples in once a year. They'll let you know for certain whether or not you have any water or coolant contamination. That's probably overkill, and you could develop a leak while you're waiting for the UOA report...but if I had a 2.7, I'd consider it. A new water pump, if needed, is a lot cheaper than a new engine.
if i did regular 5w 30 conventional every 3000 or 6 months cause I really don't drive like that and this is my 2nd vehicle and could you provide some names of products so I could buy those brands or recommend when getting it done and thank you again I can't wait to meet more people on here

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
Chrysler recommends Pennzoil Platinum, but really, any full synthetic will do. Mobil 1, Castrol Syntech, Valvoline...whatever's on sale.

In terms of filters, I prefer the Motorcraft FL1A if there's room for it, that'll give you a little extra oil capacity and more filter media. If not, you could use NAPA Silver 37899 or NAPA Gold 7899. The Motorcraft FL300 is another good choice. Motorcraft Gold, Zerex G05 and Peak Global Lifetime are some good quality and relatively inexpensive HOAT coolants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts