Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to get my system for my new 09 BB and since times are tough $ wise im trying to save some cash by installing it myself, the amp/subs seem easy enough since the battery is already in the trunk, the main part I am worried about is installing the aftermarket nav system. I am 100% comfortable with removing the bezel and pulling out the stock radio, I am comfortable with mounting my new GPS antenna but that is where the comfort ends, can anyone answer how hard it is to install one of these, Ive got the Kenwood DNX 5140, the PAC C2R-CHY4, and antenna adaptor, and a double DIN mounting kit (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120956511/Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?tp=3121) Now I guess my question is if i have all this stuff, how challenging is the install, is it extensive wiring or is it pretty "plug-n-play"

If anyone could offer any suggestions, instructions, info, or tips it would be greatly appreciated!
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SvqkytwNxKf/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=127C2RCHY4

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Ive seen all of these before, I was just curious as to the plug and play nature of install a non-OEM nav system

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
i will tell you in the few days since i just bought the DNX-5120, which is the next step down from the one you are looking at.

you cant go wrong with this headunit series though. the navigation is made by garmin, which is the industry leader for gps and navigation. i played with one at work, one of my soldiers has the DNX-5120, and i couldn't find a fault with it. SO I BOUGHT IT LOL

·
Registered
973 Posts
The PAC harness is plug and play to the car, but not the head unit. You will need to connect the wires from the headunit harness to the PAC harness.

Kenwood Nav does not require you to tap into speed sense wires, but even if it did, the PAC harness has that incorporated in it.

For the speaker connections, you will only be connecting 2 sets of wires to it. Either front or rear, can't remember off the top of my head. The other set of wires will not be used.

Shawn

So I'm about to get my system for my new 09 BB and since times are tough $ wise im trying to save some cash by installing it myself, the amp/subs seem easy enough since the battery is already in the trunk, the main part I am worried about is installing the aftermarket nav system. I am 100% comfortable with removing the bezel and pulling out the stock radio, I am comfortable with mounting my new GPS antenna but that is where the comfort ends, can anyone answer how hard it is to install one of these, Ive got the Kenwood DNX 5140, the PAC C2R-CHY4, and antenna adaptor, and a double DIN mounting kit (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120956511/Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?tp=3121) Now I guess my question is if i have all this stuff, how challenging is the install, is it extensive wiring or is it pretty "plug-n-play"

If anyone could offer any suggestions, instructions, info, or tips it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
The PAC harness is plug and play to the car, but not the head unit. You will need to connect the wires from the headunit harness to the PAC harness.

Kenwood Nav does not require you to tap into speed sense wires, but even if it did, the PAC harness has that incorporated in it.

For the speaker connections, you will only be connecting 2 sets of wires to it. Either front or rear, can't remember off the top of my head. The other set of wires will not be used.

Shawn
huh?????????? now you got me confused as all hell

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shawn, I think Gregg and I are in the same confused place... I made the excellent photoshop diagram for you to help explain where we are confused

So basically I/we are asking "where exactly do all the wires from the back of the HU go to, do they all go to the PAC, some to the PAC some to the car?

·
Registered
973 Posts
All of the wiring will go from the headunit to the PAC module.

Except for 2 sets of speaker leads. Only one set gets hooked up to the PAC module and the others are capped and not used.

The factory amp will only recognize a single left and single right signal. So you will use only the front left and front right (or rear left and rear right, can't remember which is better) from the headunit going into the PAC module.

If you are not using the factory amp anymore, then you would not connect any of the speaker outputs on the headunit.

Shawn

the connecting the speakers
Shawn, I think Gregg and I are in the same confused place... I made the excellent photoshop diagram for you to help explain where we are confused

So basically I/we are asking "where exactly do all the wires from the back of the HU go to, do they all go to the PAC, some to the PAC some to the car?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So basically everything either goes to/from the PAC or it doesnt really go anywhere? Sounds simple enough

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I got a Kenwood Nav also and I love it. I had mine hooked up by a local Installer on his off Day. I saved myself alot of money that way. I have a I-Pod adapter for your 5140 for sale, if you want it shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so we wont be able to have any front or rear speakers... just one or the other???? now what?
Gregg, I think what shawn is saying is that you have to decide whether you want the signal from the front speakers or the rear speaker being the signal you hear through all four speakers, but I'd feel more comfortable if shawn chimed back in and confirmed that

·
Registered
973 Posts
We are talking about input to the factory amp. Don't confuse input and outputs on the factory amp. The amp can only recognize two sets of inputs. Left and Right. The factory amp controls the front and rear fade in the LX vehicles.

I will try to break it down to the simplest form.

The PAC will need input speaker signals. The headunit uses output singals. So output from the headunit will go to the in put on the PAC module. Each speaker has 2 wires. One positive and one negative. So the outputs from the headunit will be a total of 8 wires. 2 for front left, 2 for front right, 2 for rear left, and 2 for rear right.

The PAC only has connections for 4 wires for speaker signal inputs.. A left positive, left negative, right positive, right negative.

So you will only be hooking up the front inputs, or the rear. The factory amp will in turn split that signal for the front and rear control.

Shawn

so we wont be able to have any front or rear speakers... just one or the other???? now what?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know with kenwoods its pretty easy to wire it so that you can use the DVD and NAv while you drive, how does the PAC wiring harness affect that and what is involved in enabling it to wor while driving?

·
Registered
973 Posts
The PAC harness does not effect it one bit.

You will want to ground the parking brake wire to enable you to use the Nav while driving and to watch dvds while in motion.

I don't think the PAC harness has a wire for the parking brake, but if it does, you do not need to hook it up to the headunit.

Shawn

I know with kenwoods its pretty easy to wire it so that you can use the DVD and NAv while you drive, how does the PAC wiring harness affect that and what is involved in enabling it to wor while driving?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey aherzing,

Did you get this installed? Pics would be great.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
Gregg, I think what shawn is saying is that you have to decide whether you want the signal from the front speakers or the rear speaker being the signal you hear through all four speakers, but I'd feel more comfortable if shawn chimed back in and confirmed that
nope the instructions for the pac indicate you use the rear speaker wires from the headunit only and you attach them to the pac audio harness

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
to enable use while driving just connect the parking brake sensor wire to the grounds on the harness... easy as that

1 - 20 of 30 Posts