Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done the following setup on their SRT8 either

just replace the mufflers (which are dual i am assuming) with a Flowmaster or magnaflows and left everything the same? how does it sound? loud? etc.

OR

replace the resos with something? Loud? How does it sound?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Well, we have been working on this kind of set up for a month or so. My husband wouldn't listen to me....and get Zoomers or Corsa and went and had Flowmaster 40's put on without the resonators. It was LOUD!!!! Very LOUD!!!!! It was almost unbearable to me. He didn't seem to care, until WE went for about a 3 hour ride in it. And it was LOUD! Well, then he took it back and they put on some kind of glass pack resonators on it (I don't know, I'm still mad he won't listen to me) and it really quieted it back down to a very nice level. However, now it doesn't sound good...has a rattling, hissing sound. Just sounds sick and not in a good way. It's hard to explain but it's back at the shop AGAIN today and they are changing out either the mufflers or resonators....assuming that one is bad. (I don't know, I sent him over there with it, its between them now.) I will find out later how it sounds and hopefully I will be pleased. I doubt it but I can hope. If not, I guess I'll be saving for a new exhaust system. Oh well, sorry for the RANT but in my opinion....don't do it. I've still got cut-outs sitting in a box in the trunk but I'm not going to have them put on until its sounding better!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oooooh momma... i want cutouts, i wish they werent so dag on exspensive!! i just want a bit of a deeper rumble, but dont want to wake up the neighbors
hhaha!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what I did. I replaced the stock suitcase muffler with a set of Magnaflow mufflers, deleted the resonators, put in some new pipe back there where the resonators were and some new tips.

It's got a nice sound. It's a little loud at WOT but ain't it supposed to be??? :D

Sound clip: (Ignore the airplane at the beginning...)

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/MADDOG95/?action=view&current=PICT0001.mp4

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, that's exactly what I did. I replaced the stock suitcase muffler with a set of Magnaflow mufflers, deleted the resonators, put in some new pipe back there where the resonators were and some new tips.

It's got a nice sound. It's a little loud at WOT but ain't it supposed to be??? :D

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/MADDOG95/?action=view&current=PICT0001.mp4

Maddog that is sick. I like it. I ended up leaving the stock suitecase in the middle alone. I swapped out the back mufflers at the tips with Super 40s. holy buckets its a beautiful sound!!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
You replaced your resonators with Super 40's??? Well, that's a novel approach!

Take a vid with sound and post it up. I'd like to hear and see that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You replaced your resonators with Super 40's??? Well, that's a novel approach!

Take a vid with sound and post it up. I'd like to hear and see that.
So you left the stock muffler (mid car) and piped in a super 40 were the reso was??? :wow:

Did I understand this right? :i_rolleyes:
yep! it looks and sounds great. The goal was to get some more aggressive sound, but not buzz you out of the cabin.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys are we sure that big box in the middle isn't the resonator. I have no had Chrysler, and two separate exhaust guys tell me that on the hemis that one in the middle is actually there to dampen sound, and the two on the tips are the mufflers, which is what I replaced.

At idle and normal driving there is no drone or it's not loud. When you hammer it, it's loud. Thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just had mine done went with straight pipes from the cats back changed out the mid muffles to magnaflows and did straight pipes all the way back with no rear mufflers.

i was very satisfied with the sound and it gets loud and nasty when i floor it :smileup:

do get a drone around 80 tho not to bad its bearable :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im resurrecting this thread because i am thinking about more exhaust mods. I am really leaning towards DMH Low pro cutouts. But not 100% and wanted your opinons. So far from what i have researched here on the forums, people love them. I wonder though with my current exhaust setup would it be that much louder?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
York has a video and they sound insane, and I've personally heard ur setup And I think the cutouts would take it to a whole other level!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
im resurrecting this thread because i am thinking about more exhaust mods. I am really leaning towards DMH Low pro cutouts. But not 100% and wanted your opinons. So far from what i have researched here on the forums, people love them. I wonder though with my current exhaust setup would it be that much louder?
It would be a ton louder since you're dumping the exhaust right after the cats...I've heard cut-outs on my buddy's srt8 charger & when he opens them up it's insane! :SHOCKED: Here's a clip, hope it works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HzDeYS6bXE

·
Registered
126 Posts

Hey MADDOG...where in Oregon are you? The exhaust sounds great! Did you lose or gain low-end power with your exhaust mods? I'm looking for some cost-effective options for my exhaust, but can't really decide what route to go...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey MADDOG...where in Oregon are you? The exhaust sounds great! Did you lose or gain low-end power with your exhaust mods? I'm looking for some cost-effective options for my exhaust, but can't really decide what route to go...
There are a lot of options you can go for washing money! I wont revisit all of them, but what MADDOG did is a great option.

anyone replaced both the resos And muffler with flow masters/magna flows have any opinions? As I said earlier, I swapped out the resos with the super 44s and the issue I am facing now is that since having the cutouts, I want a MORE aggressive sound when they are closed without sacrificing performance. And I am fully aware that it is entirely plausible that I am trying to have my cake and eat it to. Maybe I just am now wanting the same aggressive road eating sound you get with the cutouts, but it's just not a viable option late at night, or for cruising. Someone please tell me I'm being ridiculous

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
(I dont really know what im talking about) But why dont you get an full aftermarket exhaust like Zoomers or something? and then have the cutouts too...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
(I dont really know what im talking about) But why dont you get an full aftermarket exhaust like Zoomers or something? and then have the cutouts too...
yeah... i might. Zoomers are nice. I was looking at the Borla and Corsa kits as well. I may just leave the Super 44s where the reso's are and drop in two Super 44s where the stock suitcase is.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts