Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it has been raining all day today, and when I got in my car to leave work I realized that there is a leak at the overhead light in the rear passenger seat. From the outside, it looks like everything is in tact and where it needs to be; granted, I know culprits to leaks can be tricky sometimes.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible that it's coming from the sunroof and down a channel to that light? Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
624 Posts
its possible that the drain for the sunroof is leaking. i dont know where they route the drains in these cars because i personally have never messed with them..best bet id say is drop the headliner down and see what it is that you can see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
god i hate leaks my old truck had a leak and it smelled like mildew

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion...I'll try to find that drain, and check it out a bit. What a pain!

·
Registered
745 Posts
There are 4 drains

2 drain down the "A" pillars on either side

the other 2 dump into the tubes for the "A" pillars.. that is they are connected to the other 2...

if you pull off the "A" pillar covers you will see the black rubber tube behind the white cross cut frame thing. (not sure what it's called)

they drain down to thru the front fenders to the underside of the car.

there is a drainage on each corner of the sun roof..

hopefully they are just clogged, and not split but i would suspect that they are clogged since the rear floor is wet which means the water probably ran down the B pillar down into the floor since it had no where to go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks, Antonio. I'll take a look today and hopefully find the culprit. Since the water was coming out of the light fixture in the rear passenger seat, my assumption is that it was coming from one of the rear drains. I'm not sure how it could be split, but I guess weather and all that fun stuff can have a factor. Thanks again!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Many thanks, Antonio. I'll take a look today and hopefully find the culprit. Since the water was coming out of the light fixture in the rear passenger seat, my assumption is that it was coming from one of the rear drains. I'm not sure how it could be split, but I guess weather and all that fun stuff can have a factor. Thanks again!
no problem i hope that you find the issue. if they are the drain tubes being cracked or split i found a resource online to buy the drain tubes so you dont have to go to the dealer and shell out and arm and a leg for a such a small but really annoying problem.

http://www.makeitchryslerparts.com/seccat/300-413/2005/drain-tube-39535/127/39535/

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I had this happen once, my son was in the back seat getting dripped on from the water. The sunroof was not making a clean seal and the water was running along the sunroof track and spilling out the light in the back. There is a recalibration you can do to the sunroof to get it back to factory specs. I believe it's in the knowledge section. Once I did the recalibration it has never come back. GL, hope this is your fix.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Be sure your rear drain channel has not disconnected.

The rubber seal around the glass is not designed to be a complete seal. Water will enter the car by design. If the leakage is in the front or sides the water will drip into the metal drain gutters that direct the water rearward into drain tubes that run down the rear roof pillars. The water flows down these tubes and exit above your rear wheel liners. It's VERY UNLIKELY that anything has gone wrong with this part of the system.

If water leaks in past the backside of the glass seal however, it drips onto a plastic channel that is supposed to guide the water toward the sides and have it flow with the water we described earlier. This plastic drain channel is a POS that has been known to break off completely from the sunroof mechnism. It also has some rubber glued to it that can fail. If the channel fails in any way water will drip onto the top of the headliner and run out where it can. It coming out the rear passenger lights sounds like this channel has broken off of failed.

Vent your sunroof and look under the rear glass lip and see of the channel is there. If it's there look to be sure the rubber is gluded on and not broken. If the channel is not there it most likely has broken off and is stuck back in your roof. To get this out you need to remove the roof glass and look for it by shining a flashlight toward the back of the car from the sunroof ... You will be looking down the track (between the roof liner and the roof). If it's broke off and setting back there you can fish it out easly with a coat hanger wire...

If you look on page 6735 of the 2005 Service Manual you will see the drain channel I'm talking about. Part #5 in the exploded view.

Use this link to download the LX Service Manual. Then look for the exploded view of the sunroof. It will make more sense whren you see it. Having the service manual is a must for these cars...

http://www.300cforumz.com/showthread.php?t=1512

Feel free to PM me with questions...

Tim

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great info, guys...I didn't have a chance to look at things today, but will certainly do that and let everyone know what I find. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine, too!!!

Well, it has been raining all day today, and when I got in my car to leave work I realized that there is a leak at the overhead light in the rear passenger seat. From the outside, it looks like everything is in tact and where it needs to be; granted, I know culprits to leaks can be tricky sometimes.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible that it's coming from the sunroof and down a channel to that light? Any ideas would be appreciated!
I,too have been experiencing leaking sunroofs. Water was pouring from my overhead light above the back window, and there was a huge puddle in the seat below! I took it to my dealer, and he told me it was the track around the sunroof where the water is supposed to drain down, but if it gets dirty and clogged, it will leak into the car!!! I have had it cleaned out twice in two years at $500 per cleaning!!! Warranty covered it but no longer. I have decided I am going to seal the darn thing!!! I don't care about a sunroof anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Leaking sunroof twice!

My sunroof has been leaking every summer for two years. I have nowhere to park my car except under trees. I rinse it everyday, but the drains under the sunroof still get clogged, and I have to take it to the dealer for cleaning. I have decided I am going to have it sealed off, so no more worrying about the leaking. I don't care about the sunroof anyway!!! Can you believe Chrysler makes a $35,000 car that leaks around the sunroof???????

:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I found I DIY for the back drain tubes that just recently did on my car yesterday.

What I did was pull down the headliner right there next to light just a little bit to where I fit I hand. After that I reached passed the airbags that are right there and found felt and the tub connected to the roof I pulled it off looked in it there was moist dirt in it pulled it out with tweezers blew through it put it back and the leak was gone. Mind you o go to a Carwash almost everyday and the leak isn’t there any more I went ahead and checked the other side no build up.

I hope this helps it sure did help me

·
Registered
1 Posts

YES, WHAT DID YOU DO? ANY WARRENTY OR RECALL? ALSO MY PASSENGER DOOR PANEL IS SEPERATING FROM THE WINDOW AT TOP AND THE RADIO ELECTRONIC MODULE HAS A BUBBLE AND FREEZES AT TIMES. YOU?

·
Registered
508 Posts
YES, WHAT DID YOU DO? ANY WARRENTY OR RECALL? ALSO MY PASSENGER DOOR PANEL IS SEPERATING FROM THE WINDOW AT TOP AND THE RADIO ELECTRONIC MODULE HAS A BUBBLE AND FREEZES AT TIMES. YOU?
Font Rectangle Communication Device Screenshot Parallel
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Brand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts