Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly I am mostly positive but not 100% positive this is an electrical issue. Let me explain.

First the backstory:
I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 limited and it has been in a few fender benders where the front end had to be replaced each time but the airbags didn't deploy.
The first time was when a deer bounced off a prius on the interstate and landed on my right front headlight.
The second time was when a woman backed into me (then took off).
The third time was when going through a light an old man turned right in front of me and I slid (icy roads) into him. My left front fender hit his right front fender. Their insurance has covered it every time.

A few months ago I had to replace the speed sensor on the left front tire as without it I had no traction control and no ABS brakes.
Last week I just pulled out of my driveway and coming up to a stop sign the pedal gave this weird feel and then both the ABS and traction control lights came on, but everything seemed fine. I made an appointment to the mechanics shop. A couple days later on the way to the mechanics shop, at that same stop sign, I again felt something weird in the pedal and when I stopped the ABS and traction control lights went out. I explained this to the mechanics and they ran a diagnostics (no charge). They said everything looked fine except the left front speed sensor was showing some past errors. So I figured I would have to replace it eventually.
Then on Saturday while driving home from grocery shopping while going over a little bumpy road, I heard this weird rattle squeak from under the dash (seemingly from under the steering wheel area) and the ABS and traction control lights came on, and have since stayed on.
Then today on the way into work I hear this weird rattle squeak again, only this time my engine light comes on. But everything seems to be running fine. FYI, the weird rattle squeak went away after a few moments both times.

So at this time I am thinking it is a wiring issue. I looked under the hood and under the dash on the drivers side but I could not find any loose or hanging wires. I am a bit perplexed with this.

I have also personally replaced the AC blender door actuator under the passenger side twice now and diagnostics still report errors in that actuator and the other one under the dash on the drivers side. But it all seems to work ok.

I would be looking to do this work myself as I really don't have the money to pay for a mechanic to do it. I am no licensed mechanic but have worked on every single car I've owned. I have replaced the brakes on this car twice although the second time was not needed as the issue turned out to be rust on the hub assembly causing the vibrating pedal when hitting the brakes...lol.

I need help in locating and diagnosing the issue and eventually advice on doing the repairs along with some possible recommendations for parts.... I have an appointment this Friday at the mechanics for a scheduled oil change. I will have them run a diagnostic and can have them look at a few things (free of charge) if there is something anyone here thinks they should look at.

Thanks a great deal in advance!

Bruce

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your CEL was on have the codes read. That might help pin down the issue.
When I took it in for an oil change they read the codes and the only code was for the transmission synchronization test, of which the mechanic said is a normal function of the transmission. So it's a little odd.

I did notice something the other day though. First thing is all my dash warning lights went out the next day after the oil change and the diagnostics check, even the windshield washer fluid light. But on the way into work on Monday my dash lights were a little bright so I turned them all the way down and within seconds the abs and traction control lights came on. So I turned the brightness up a little just off of minimum, and a few moments later the warning lights went out....
It is seriously looking like a wiring issue under the dash.

Another thing is I have a leak in my trunk. I believe the upper seal that goes across the top part of the trunk (parallel with the rear window) is the culprit. I know the battery is in the trunk but are there any kind of wiring relays or even a fuse box of some kind back there also?

Speaking of the trunk lid seal, where might I find a good but inexpensive replacement?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've found that MyMoparParts.com usually has what I need and they have good pricing as well.

Yeah...that's an odd issue you got going on there. See if you can re-create the dash dimmer thing again.

Have you ever experienced a situation where all the instrument lights, the head unit, headlights, etc...all start blinking and acting weird?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found that MyMoparParts.com usually has what I need and they have good pricing as well.

Yeah...that's an odd issue you got going on there. See if you can re-create the dash dimmer thing again.

Have you ever experienced a situation where all the instrument lights, the head unit, headlights, etc...all start blinking and acting weird?
Sorry it's been so long but I never received any notifications there was a response.

To answer your question, no I have never experienced something like that.

As it stands now it looks like the same speed sensor has gone bad. I can easily replace it myself but have been unable due to the weather we've been having. So I have been driving around in the ice and snow with no anti lock breaks or traction control. Not real fun but I still do better than most others out there so far...lol. One day I spun out on the interstate because there were horrible snow drifts, but luckily no one was around me. After I finally got the car rolling again my engine light was on and I feel like it has something to do with the transmission again. I believe it is because the engine revved high when I spun out but I am not entirely sure. The engine light went out after about a day. I will be taking to the service center to see what they can find out in the next few weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.