Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to say this looks like a great forum! Thanks.

Ok, on with my newbie questions:

I just bought a 2007 300c SRT-8 19,000 miles

1. I think that the car came with a tune already installed by the previous owner because it shifts differently that what I read it should. In auto stick mode, I can select from 1-5 gears. When I select a gear, it seems to be in that gear unless I tach out. Will this be a problem if/when I buy a tuner, not having the stock tune in it?
2. I've only had it a week and once, on starting the engine after sitting only about an hour, I noticed quite a bit of smoke on startup, it appeared to be more white in color. That was the only time I noticed so far. Anyone else seen something like that before? Is this what the catch can takes care of?

3. I've been reading on the forum about pulling fuse #11 to clear the PCM. For the 07' model, is this still the right fuse number?

4. I think my system came with a cat-back system, it looks just like the Corsa sport series, except that it says Mopar on the tip instead of Corsa. I'll post a pic, is this still a Corsa cat-back, if so, the dealer knew nothing about it and that's all bonus for me.

Thanks in advance for all the help, I think I'm going to like it around here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,238 Posts
In blue :D

First I want to say this looks like a great forum! Thanks.

Ok, on with my newbie questions:

I just bought a 2007 300c SRT-8 19,000 miles

1. I think that the car came with a tune already installed by the previous owner because it shifts differently that what I read it should. In auto stick mode, I can select from 1-5 gears. When I select a gear, it seems to be in that gear unless I tach out. Will this be a problem if/when I buy a tuner, not having the stock tune in
it?

Yes this will be a problem . Tuner will recognize another tune other than stock . I would try to find previous owner and find out what he did .

2. I've only had it a week and once, on starting the engine after sitting only about an hour, I noticed quite a bit of smoke on startup, it appeared to be more white in color. That was the only time I noticed so far. Anyone else seen something like that before? Is this what the catch can takes care of?

3. I've been reading on the forum about pulling fuse #11 to clear the PCM. For the 07' model, is this still the right fuse number?

Should be the same ..under the hood on Drivers side .

4. I think my system came with a cat-back system, it looks just like the Corsa sport series, except that it says Mopar on the tip instead of Corsa. I'll post a pic, is this still a Corsa cat-back, if so, the dealer knew nothing about it and that's all bonus for me.

Corsa did make them a re branded them with Mopar on the tips . Don't think it would be the Sport Series that is a new system ..

Thanks in advance for all the help, I think I'm going to like it around here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Brad,

Thanks for the quick reply. You stated, on the driver side. I have a fuse box on the passenger side, with a fuse #11 25amp installed. I'll have to keep looking for it if it's on the driver side.

·
Premium Member
8,238 Posts
Hey Brad,

Thanks for the quick reply. You stated, on the driver side. I have a fuse box on the passenger side, with a fuse #11 25amp installed. I'll have to keep looking for it if it's on the driver side.
Sorry, your correct :shakehead:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you know for sure it has a tune in it or are you guessing
Actually, I'm guessing. But from what I have read, the stock tune will not show a 5 in Auto Stick mode, also, the trans will be allowed to shift up to what ever is selected, with a tune, what ever gear is selected is the gear its in.

Of course, I picked all this up from reading, but I don't really know. Would there be no way to use a tuner if it was already tuned? If that's the case, how could I get a stock tune flashed back on it? The previous owners are from Utah, and I don't have a name. So most likely no chance of asking them.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My '06 trans would hold the gear right up to the rev limiter. There was a "1-2 shift" technical service bulletin out that let the car shift, in autostick mode, prior to redline.

Now that I have a Predator on it, I have WOT shift points set just about 200 RPM below redline.

So you may not have a tune in the car, you may just need the transmission control module flashed for the TSB. Check with your dealer. They will need your VIN to check for open TSB's on your car and can tell what TSB's have been done.

I hope there isn't a tune on the car. That will be hard to fix if you can't contact the prior owner.

The "Fuse 11" is also known as the "AutoShutOff/PCM" fuse and on your car it may be some other position. Check your owner's manual and look at the fuse section to verify.

It may be fuel pooling in the cylinder that is causing the smoke and if it is, that usually indicates a leaking fuel injector. Try a fuel system cleaner. Sometimes it's just a small bit of material or varnish (depending on how long the car sat before you got ti) that is hanging up the injector. A MOPAR tech might be able to determine which cylinder has the problem. But try a cleaner first.

The catch can keeps oil from re-entering your intake manifold from the PCV system. This would be a good mod to do in any event.

Corsa built the MOPAR accessory catback for these cars but it is not the Sport version.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
id say just buy a predator and try and if it has a tune do what maddog said and have it flashed out ,either way your gonna want one

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll wait until I get some cash saved up for the tuner, the down payment really nailed me. But I did go ahead and order the catch can and some front and rear emblems. I'm looking to continue with blacking the car out. I'll post some pics when I get the emblems on.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Predator

Welcome to the forum.

My '06 trans would hold the gear right up to the rev limiter. There was a "1-2 shift" technical service bulletin out that let the car shift, in autostick mode, prior to redline.

Now that I have a Predator on it, I have WOT shift points set just about 200 RPM below redline.

So you may not have a tune in the car, you may just need the transmission control module flashed for the TSB. Check with your dealer. They will need your VIN to check for open TSB's on your car and can tell what TSB's have been done.

I hope there isn't a tune on the car. That will be hard to fix if you can't contact the prior owner.

The "Fuse 11" is also known as the "AutoShutOff/PCM" fuse and on your car it may be some other position. Check your owner's manual and look at the fuse section to verify.

It may be fuel pooling in the cylinder that is causing the smoke and if it is, that usually indicates a leaking fuel injector. Try a fuel system cleaner. Sometimes it's just a small bit of material or varnish (depending on how long the car sat before you got ti) that is hanging up the injector. A MOPAR tech might be able to determine which cylinder has the problem. But try a cleaner first.

The catch can keeps oil from re-entering your intake manifold from the PCV system. This would be a good mod to do in any event.

Corsa built the MOPAR accessory catback for these cars but it is not the Sport version.
Is there any way to tell if the car already has anything but a factory tune? I have an 05 300C that I have owned for about a year. My 300C seems stock but how do I tell? My Predator came in today and I'm on the uncertain side to flash my 300C with it until I have the dealer push a factory flash to it. I know I can go back to whatever is on there now if the new tune doesn't seem right. :4-dontknow: (I can already feel a load of "JUST DO IT" :D )

·
Banned
37 Posts
Nice car man! If the tunes already in your car from the other owners tuner the dealer can probably fix it with the star scanner. Theyll probly charge you an arm and a leg though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome to the Z from NC! My daytona charger...and my 300srt8 shifted the same way as yours ,sounds like a stock tune to me. getting the dealership to flash the pcm will run you about $90. I just went thru the same thing with my 300. The original owner had a tune in it, so when i bought it....my predator would not work. Since i had just bought from a dodge dealership, i called them about it and they said bring it in for a free flash. hope this helps and good luck. BULLIT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts