Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys n Gals,

As the miles rack up on my sweet ol C - I am looking for options to ensure it's health. :smileup:

Last night I changed the oil in my truck (Ford Exp E/B w/ 5.4ltr) this engine is Notorious for the cold start knock and consuming oil which has me concerned :eek:. So I changed the oil and substitued 1qt for the Lucas Oil Additive. Let me tell you that Lucas Stuff was so thick that it had the physical consistency of Honey maybe even THICKER!!!!

So it is almost time for me to change the oil in the C also and it seems that the Hemi Tick or Click is getting louder :shakehead:. So I was thinking maybe I should use some of this Lucas Oil Additive in the car.

Have any of you guys tried this Lucas stuff on the 5.7????
Any thoughts?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
OK Guys n Gals,

As the miles rack up on my sweet ol C - I am looking for options to ensure it's health. :smileup:

Last night I changed the oil in my truck (Ford Exp E/B w/ 5.4ltr) this engine is Notorious for the cold start knock and consuming oil which has me concerned :eek:. So I changed the oil and substitued 1qt for the Lucas Oil Additive. Let me tell you that Lucas Stuff was so thick that it had the physical consistency of Honey maybe even THICKER!!!!

So it is almost time for me to change the oil in the C also and it seems that the Hemi Tick or Click is getting louder :shakehead:. So I was thinking maybe I should use some of this Lucas Oil Additive in the car.

Thanks for the info
I dont like oil additives because they affect the original oil by breaking it down quicker. When this occurs, you think oh I changed my oil, its safe, levels are fine, but then you do an engine tear down and you find that there are deposits and ring failure. As far as your 5.7 is your oil level good? Is your PCV clogged? Have you ever replaced it since you own the car? Need more info on the tappet noise. Try and locate it by putting a mechanics stethoscope on it.

Just buy a good quality synthetic and keep your schedule of every 3000 to 5000 miles depending on your type of driving. Otherwise, save your money, you dont need additives. Invest in a high quality synthetic, Mobil One or Royal Purple, or even Amsoil in 55 gallon drum. Big cash outlay, but it will be there for you till it runs out.

Meech

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont like oil additives because they affect the original oil by breaking it down quicker.........

Just buy a good quality synthetic and keep your schedule of every 3000 to 5000 miles depending on your type of driving. Otherwise, save your money, you dont need additives. Invest in a high quality synthetic, Mobil One or Royal Purple, or even Amsoil in 55 gallon drum. Big cash outlay, but it will be there for you till it runs out.

Meech

Interesting that you say that - when of course these additives "CLAIM" to work in conjunction "WITH" your oil. :4-dontknow: HMMMMMMM I'm gonna use my truck as the test bed, (since it's already in there) and see if it does what it "CLAIMS" and if it works good in there then I might consider it for the C.

I am very meticulous about the cars maintenance and I stay on top of the oil changes usually I change the oil every 3-5k miles with Mobil 1 Clean 5000. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a bad experiance with the old famous Slick 50...I had a 94 Lumina Z-34 and added this like at about 30000 miles....This car had never use a quart of oil until then....After the adding of the Slick 50 it used at least a QT before oil change due.....didn't smoke but oil was lost

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Interesting that you say that - when of course these additives "CLAIM" to work in conjunction "WITH" your oil. :4-dontknow: HMMMMMMM I'm gonna use my truck as the test bed, (since it's already in there) and see if it does what it "CLAIMS" and if it works good in there then I might consider it for the C.

I am very meticulous about the cars maintenance and I stay on top of the oil changes usually I change the oil every 3-5k miles with Mobil 1 Clean 5000. :smiley_thumbs_up:
They are just that Marcos, "Claims"

Selling tactics do work

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK Guys n Gals,

Thanks for the info
Lucas oil additive is snake oil. It does nothing and basically has no additives in it. It is just mineral oil.

Do not EVER add anything to a 300c's oil. The tick is the injectors, not anything to do with the oil.

The cold start knock was probably because you were using a cheap oil filter.

Was it a Fram?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi
Sorry-but-I-lost-my-space-bar!-Here-is-what-should-be-looked-at. First-manufactures-spend-billions-of-dollars-trying-to-get-everything-perfect!Why-several-reasons-government-regs-and-most-importantly-warranty!-Now-Chrysler-is-giving-life-time-warranty-on-the-power-train-I-read-my-manual-and-it-says-oil-change-6000-miles .I-believe-plugs-were-just-over-100,000-miles.No-where-in-the-manual-did-they-suggest-additives-that-I-saw.-I-would-bet-they-have-tested-all-additives-to-see-if-there-were-any-benefits-and-I-would-reason-they-saw-if-any-very-little-difference-was-found.-As-MADDOG-has-found-they-probably-found-it-caused-more-problems!-If-you-have-a-actual-knocking-problem!-Just-covering-up-the-noise-is-not-really-helping!-It-needs-to-be-found-and-fixed!-At-most-to-get-by-you-might-try-heavy-weight-racing-oil-and-even-then-be-careful-in-cold-weather-because-you-don't-want-to-strand-your-family-somewhere-it-might-be-dangerous!
I-was-in-the-Smog-check-business-for-quite-a-while-I-had-customers-come-in-with-Pass-a-smog-in-a-can-or-get-your-money-back-only-$19.99-a-can!-Not-one-who-had-failed-there-first-test-passed-by-just-using-those-products!-As-a-manufacture-they-know-that-only-a-very-small-%-will-send-in-for-the-refund-so-they-could-fill-that-can-with-anything-that-burns-in-the-combustion-chamber-and-get-rich-selling-it-because-they-guarantee-you-will-pass.-The-catch-is-you-have-to-mail-and-fill-out-the-paper-work-to-get-it-back-if-you-fail.
Long-story-short-gimmicks-don't-work-or-if-they-do-only-as-good-as-what-you-are-told-to-use-Basic-care-is-the-key-to-longevity-in-anything!-If-I-warranted-anything-for-life-you-bet-if-it-helped-it-would-void-the-warranty-if-you-did-not-use-it!!-Just-thought's-from-being-in-the-automotive-industry-for-15-years-or-so!!:thk:
Hank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts