Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!:Hey:

Im going to change the engine oil in the SRT8. It's 06 with BorlaS, K&N CAI, DiabloSport Trinity, and catchcan. It has 140K km / it's about 85K mileage on the odometer. I live in Poland, dont drive in winter, only in spring/autumn/summer. Here climate isnt very cold 40Fdeg at lower in spring/autumn to 95F in summer. Im not racing very much (because here everyone have diesels;) ) Its fourth car in garage therefore I drive not to much - about 4K miles/year.
What type of oil is the best for this engine? Even if engine is in great condition I think fillng it with factory 0W40 isnt good idea, looking at its mileage.
In europe we have some good oil form castrol - it's Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 - recommended for all bmw M series, ferrari, lamborghini and turbo engines:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7027067

It's the same oil: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7027056

I'm also thinking about 5W40 for Diesel Engines.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7027069

What are You thinking about?

In summer I fill Ram srt10 with castrols 10W60 and for now it run great, but it has only 20K mileage. I also fill with the same oil Mini Cooper S with turbo, but it has little mileage too. By the way, do you think its good oil for SRT10?

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
I would stay with Mobil 1 0W-40W.

I don't know how the other oils work with the oil squirters under the pistons.

·
Registered
746 Posts
There is a TSB for the 6.1, especially for the 2006 year for a whine sound (like that of a mild sounding SC) which is from the oil squirters & their harmonic sound concerns.

The TSB dictates to switch from the factory perscribed 0W40 synthetic to either 5W40 synthetic with the correct API rating for gasoline engines (DO NOT use 5W40 with the API rating designed for diesel engines), OR to 15W50 synthetic for high horse power engines.

Use either type of oil in the warmer / summer months only & then in the winter / colder months switch back to 0W40 synthetic oil.

I use the 5W40 synthetic with the correct API rating for gasoline engines and it has made a nice difference in the sound (not enough HP under my hood at this time for 15W50 synthetic..lol).

Bottom line is to stick with a specific brand of oil and not keep changing that parameter because each individual oil manufacturer makes their blend with different ingredients & that is what can lead to some concerns down the road.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Follow the recommendations of 0W40 so that the oil squirters work on your 6.1L and follow the recommendations for your SRT10 as well.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I run 5w40 in my car which is fine as long as you are not starting the car in cold weather, below 25F other wise use 0w40

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amsoil

I had 62000 miles on my 06 300 SRT. Went with Amsoil Signature Synthetic 0w-40 with their own Absolute efficiency oil filter... I have 12000 miles on the same oil and filter its still golden Brown.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts