Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am gathering info for my first oil change. I read in a post, that I can't find right now, some people were using the Mobil M1-204 and M1-301 oil filter. The longer version is the M1-301? Is this correct? Autozone web site has the M1-204 and M1-301.
I have the V6 3.5L.
I am switching to Mobil 1 synthetic.
I bought the car a year old, so I have no idea what was used prior to this. I am assuming at this point that it was just regular oil. Is it OK to change to a synthetic after running dino-lube for a year? I'm just over 14,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
sounds crazy but go to walmart to get your oil and filters it seems i have found the best prices there. They will have the little book to tell you what filter is best too. I have used mobile 1 filters and mobile 1 oil in the past. Although i cant tell the difference in the oil I guess its supposed to add longevity to the motor. Good luck
Current Vehicle:Year:
2005Make:
ChryslerModel:
300Engine Type:
6cyl. 3.5Liter Naturally Aspirated

Filter matches for the vehicle you selected:
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 Model M1204

Other options
Champion Model PH253
Fram Model PH16

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/car_care/which_oil/WhichOilFilters.aspx

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I was trying to find out if anyone with the 3.5L had used the longer filter, the M1-301. The M1-204 is what is called out for the 3.5L. I did not explain well enough what I was looking for. I do that a lot. LOL
Specifically if the size (diameter) of the filter and threads are the same between the two, just that the 301 is longer. I looked on the web for a chart or something to try to compare them, but came up with nothing. When I get to the store I can look at them both to see. Just hoping that someone had already gone down this path.

Thanks for the tip on Wally world. I haven't even thought about going there for oil. Always went to O'Reilly or Advanced Auto etc when they had a sale.

·
Registered
676 Posts
yes the 301 is just longer and will work but if you do reg. oil changes the short one is fine. 50 cent difference in price here.
switching to synthetic is a good idea but never go back to Reg. oil or ya will end up with a oil burner. bein a H D diesel mech ive seen this happen quite a few times .
walmart has good prices on oil ,just DONT let them change it . lol

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone,

I always change my own oil due to a very bad experience in the past. I don't trust anyone to do this. Sometimes I don't even trust myself :)

Alex

·
Registered
64 Posts
You might want to give Royal Purple motor oil some consideration also. Its the only motor oil that I have ever used that I could hear and feel a difference in.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been a Mobil 1 user for many, many years. I use it in all of our vehicles. I did a lot of reading before switching. I haven't read a lot about Royal Purple's goop yet to make an informed decision, but I have started so it may win me over.

Thanks Zonestar for the info. When you say you can hear the difference is it because, for example: the valve train was less noisy?
Reason I ask is my Jeep produced less noise right after I switched it over to Mobil 1. It had 1500 miles on the clock when I did that :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone,

Bought my oil and filter at Wally World. Saved about 8 bucks, not bad. Todd, thanks for the tip.

I also ordered the Fumoto Engine oil drain valve. When I change the oil a little later today I'll take a couple of pics of the drain valve installed on the V6.

Alex

·
Registered
314 Posts
After reading this thread and doing some research I am gunna make a switch as well. I have been using the K&N oil filter and 5w-50 Syntec. Gunna go all Mobil-1. Good info here. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok here are the pics I promised:

I didn't need the adapter. I bought it just in case. It's not really an adapter anyway, it's an extension. So that can be 6 bucks someone saves if they read this.

When I change my oil I'll add a hose and secure it under the car.

Really simple to install. Now I can't wait until I have to change my oil again!

Alex

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Good call on the valve, I might have to put one on when I change the oil tomorrow. As far as the oil brands people are throwing around, I've run synthetic for 20 oil changes now. I tend to go 3 oil changes with one brand before I move on to the next. My findings...

Synthetic is synthetic. You may find improvements on royal purple in a beefier engine, but the 3.5 is just happy to have synthetic on the table.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts