Chrysler 300 forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Three of us in Oz bought a secondhand set of SRT8 rims and tyres (VGC) and split them between us. The logic being that the Fix a Flat is ok in the city for a normal puncture and you also have phone contact etc. However if you are out bush and get a blow out the FAF is not going to work and you can be in an area with no phone coverage, so you are pretty well stuffed. Consequently when travelling in remote areas I carry the spare in the boot. Keep in mind when you put it in it takes up a fair amount of boot space. The other issue for us is the availability of a tyre to suit if you get stuck outside a major town or city. If you do a lot of remote travelling I would strongly suggest getting a spare. At least you are not going to have to pay for a tow truck or leave your car on the side of the road until you can get help. As another forum member suggested they are occasionally advertised for sale on the forums, so its worthwhile keeping an eye out.
Regards
Cedar120

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Three of us in Oz bought a secondhand set of SRT8 rims and tyres (VGC) and split them between us. The logic being that the Fix a Flat is ok in the city for a normal puncture and you also have phone contact etc. However if you are out bush and get a blow out the FAF is not going to work and you can be in an area with no phone coverage, so you are pretty well stuffed. Consequently when travelling in remote areas I carry the spare in the boot. Keep in mind when you put it in it takes up a fair amount of boot space. The other issue for us is the availability of a tyre to suit if you get stuck outside a major town or city. If you do a lot of remote travelling I would strongly suggest getting a spare. At least you are not going to have to pay for a tow truck or leave your car on the side of the road until you can get help. As another forum member suggested they are occasionally advertised for sale on the forums, so its worthwhile keeping an eye out.
Regards
Cedar120
Thanks for the info as I frequently take long weekend road trips up North to go camping and cottaging. I am going to look into it.

:smileup:

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Not a dumb question at all actually. Pretty valid really.

I was kind of surprised myself when I found no spare but instead and airpump and can of fix a flat.

I suplemented my fix a flat with a $5.00 tire plug kit from Wally World. I'd recommend each of you do this as well as it can definately get you out of a jam quickly. I've fixed about 6 different tires in the past 3 years with these kits and am sold that this is the way to go. The plugs, if installed correctly, will last the life of the tire and become vulcanized once the tire heats up. I've never had a single one leak.

I know there are those who will poo poo this as "not safe" or whatever, but honestly, this used to be the method of choice for MANY years before the people who wanted to sell more tires started spreading the rumors that it's not safe to plug a tire. It is...I assure you.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not a dumb question at all actually. Pretty valid really.

I was kind of surprised myself when I found no spare but instead and airpump and can of fix a flat.

I suplemented my fix a flat with a $5.00 tire plug kit from Wally World. I'd recommend each of you do this as well as it can definately get you out of a jam quickly. I've fixed about 6 different tires in the past 3 years with these kits and am sold that this is the way to go. The plugs, if installed correctly, will last the life of the tire and become vulcanized once the tire heats up. I've never had a single one leak.

I know there are those who will poo poo this as "not safe" or whatever, but honestly, this used to be the method of choice for MANY years before the people who wanted to sell more tires started spreading the rumors that it's not safe to plug a tire. It is...I assure you.
The common road side tire plug kit was the industry standard for decades and if done correctly it sure will last.

Excellent tip and thanks for reminding me. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
There are some excellent plug kits available however, wally don't sell 'em. I have a kit in a red box Safe T Seal (from memory) and I would not go to Mexico or the back roads of Canada without it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There are some excellent plug kits available however, wally don't sell 'em. I have a kit in a red box Safe T Seal (from memory) and I would not go to Mexico or the back roads of Canada without it.
I hear ya Check6X - I'm off to the local parts shop on Monday to pick up a plug kit, a can of fix-a-flat and an automotive compressor.

Screw waiting for the dealer to communicate to me why my car was safetied without this very crucial piece of equipment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another Idea for a Spare

I have an 18" aftermarket (Helo) wheel and tire from a previous car which I use when we go on trips. The only caveat is that it will only clear the rear brakes, so if we get a flat in the front, I would have to move the back wheel to the front first, then put my spare on the back. I also threw in a scissor jack I had in the garage. Fortunately I've never had to use it, but I did do a fit check the last time I got new tires.

·
Registered
745 Posts
^^^^^ way to bring a dead thread back to life lol.

anyhow since its back i had a silly question on this subject. would a deflated SRT rim and tire fit in the spare tire well? i know some people on one of the other forums im on said when they upgraded tires to larger tires in their jeeps and the factory location wouldn't fit when it was inflated they deflated the tires almost completely and then they dropped right in. and if you have a compressor on board then who cares if your carrying around an empty spare.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't forget the Rears are taller than the fronts. so if you're going to get a spare SRT8 wheel and tire, get the rear size (255 rear vs 245 front) so it doesn't mess with the differential. Front doesn't care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was told that omitting the spare was for better front to back weight distribution so why did they move the battery to the trunk. To keep it away from heat?
Sorry for the thread nechrophilia heat is not why batteries are put in the trunk on HP cars. Drove S Cass MBE's for 20yrs prior to my 12 SRT8. In high speed collisions it was found that battery acid along with possibly the battery itself ended up in the drivers space. MB moved it to increase survivability. Break away brake pedals that avoided "bleed out" leg damage etc etc. As a side note I wouldn't take a new S for my SRT8 even up and told the dealer that when they lost me after all those years. Just an FYI

21 - 31 of 31 Posts